What's for dinner?

Boring old spaghetti with red meat sauce and some sort of garlic rolls.

Or maybe a different pasta. My daughters are walking to the store to get the pasta and I told them they could get whatever they want.
We don't have any garlic bread but do have two tubes of crescent rolls in the fridge so I think I will make up some garlic butter and put it inside when I roll them up before I cook them.

Boring and quick. I think tomorrow is homemade pizza!

And no idea what I will eat either night because I am trying to eat lower carb so no pasta, rolls or pizza crust for me :(
I really don't want to eat eggs. They are usually my default low carb food but I am so full of eggs right now.

What's 'paleo' please?

Like how the Clan of the Cave Bear used to work it. The basic idea is that it's supposed to be better suited and healthier for the hunter-gatherer aspect of human genetics. (This notion is quackery from a scientific standpoint, much like its predecessor the Atkins diet, but I suppose it still produces some interesting cuisine ideas.)

So it's ribs and chicken tonite, slow cooked, with salad and croutons, rice, baked potatoes and some grilled zucchini, pepper and mushrooms. Chinese egg tarts for dessert and the friends are bringing the appetizers. Time to raid what passes for a wine cellar here. Got some wine from chile to try out.

The perfect sub - mayo, honey mustard, pickles, tomato, lettuce, turkey, ham and swiss cheese on whole wheat. I know, taste is a personal thing. :D

As it's currently sub-Arctic here in England, despite what Accuweather is saying, with a ground-frost expected for the morning; it feels more like Autumn than 2 weeks to the start of Summer, so I felt warming, comforting, Autumn food was called for. We had pumpkin and carrot soup with creme fraiche and melted Gruyere cheese stirred in, sprinkled with Cayenne Pepper and served inside hollowed-out and double-baked large bread buns, followed by Cottage Pie with sides of roasted parsnips, steamed Savoy cabbage, and sauteed minted carrots, with home-made onion gravy, hot bannocks with butter, and a steamed Blackberry, Blackcurrant and Cassis Roll with hot custard for dessert.

Had a wonderful looking big red pepper and cut it up with onion, mushrooms and sauteed them with little polish sausage in sesame oil and soy sauce served over rigatoni noodles with garlic and sesame seeds for seasoning.

Beef Stew.

What's 'paleo' please?

Sorry I missed that, HP. Basically, I feel better when I eat mainly low carb so this pizza crust uses some other things instead of wheat flour, like flax seed and almond flour. I enjoy wheat but I try to limit my indulgence in it.

Tonight's dinner was total indulgence, it's been quite a weekend. We had marinated and grilled chicken, baby corn and peas, potatoes sliced and layered with cheddar cheese, garlic butter and topped with crumbled bacon then baked. Dessert was a raspberry cheesecake gelato with homemade brownies. (I use a combo of almond, tapioca and coconut flour to make them.) Whoosh!

My wife cooked a half recipe of lasagna--something she does rarely. It filled an empty spot very well.

Sorry I missed that, HP. Basically, I feel better when I eat mainly low carb so this pizza crust uses some other things instead of wheat flour, like flax seed and almond flour. I enjoy wheat but I try to limit my indulgence in it.

This is me too.
Carbs kill my intestines. I can eat the good ones like from veggies, but if I try to eat bread or pasta I pay for it dearly with cramps and diarrhea. My body just can't seem to process them.

I saw someone mention Atkins, Atkins might seem like a fad of sorts but when you strip away the name and think of it just as a low carb high protein way of eating it really is very healthy.
I'm also borderline diabetic so this way of eating is what I have to do.

Years ago I lost over 80 lbs when I cut out carbs like breads, pasta, potatoes, still eating good carbs like green beans, romaine, tomatoes, etc...
It really is a very healthy way to eat. All of the low carbers are not sitting around stuffing our faces with bacon, steaks and cheese like most people seem to think.

All that said dinner tonight for me was cold rotisserie chicken and some Gruyere cheese. Mostly because I slept all freaking day and it's too late to cook.

A trick I accidentally discovered when I ran out of flour a coupla years ago, sub half the flour in pizza for Masa (processed corn flour they use to make tortilla's)

Gives it an earthy hearty flavour, only works if you like thin crust pizza.

Designer shepherd's pie. (I designed it. :))

I was just telling my daughter the other day that I don't think I've ever had shepherds pie. I need to fix this one day.

Tonight, finally, homemade pizza. We have mushrooms, pepperoni, sausage, mushroom, onions, some fresh mozzerella and even some pesto I might use on one.

Now you tell me! :D

I take it the evidence has been destroyed. :D

I was just telling my daughter the other day that I don't think I've ever had shepherds pie. I need to fix this one day.

Tonight, finally, homemade pizza. We have mushrooms, pepperoni, sausage, mushroom, onions, some fresh mozzerella and even some pesto I might use on one.

Sounds awesome.

Baked Salmon with rice and steamed taro cubes (with a spring onion sauce), and some assorted vegetables. For dessert, home made raisin scones with homemade strawberry jam and whipped cream.

Back