What's for dinner?

I'm sitting here, in my office in Cannes, staring out at the rain coming down so hard it's like the sea's invading by air-drop, visibility is about 4 yards, and thinking "the Fench Riviera, are you kidding me right now?"

It's cold and damp, and tonight I've decided it's comfort food time, so we're having Cottage Pie, steamed green beans, honey-roasted parsnips, and a steamed Marmalade Roll with Crème Anglaise for dessert, and a bottle (or two!) of Languedoc-Roussillon Grenache, surprisingly cheap, easy to find, and gratifyingly big and brawny, just the thing to set off a strongly flavored meal like I have planned.

Pasta (mini penne) and meatballs.

It's cheaper for me to make them than it is to buy them frozen.

Fresh tortelloni with pork filling drowned in a cream-and-four-cheeses sauce. Sharp Cheddar, Gouda, Gorgonzola and Parmesan. Seasoned with fresh garlic, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Serve once every year, because that stuff is incredibly mighty. Arteries clang shut just from looking at it.

So delicious though!

Toasted Pecan Chicken with mashed sweet potatoes and steamed cauliflower (with black pepper and cheddar cheese.)

The sauce for the chicken was quite good even though it looked rather hideous. (I used half and half cream instead of the heavy cream it called for because it was what I had.) I also used raspberry all fruit instead of orange marmalade. It was still very tasty.

Toasted Pecan Chicken
1 pound of chicken
2 tablespoons each butter and olive oil
1/8 teaspoon of salt and ground black pepper
1 1/2 cups of cream or half n half
1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons of orange marmalade or raspberry all fruit
3/4 cup of pecans, toasted and chopped

1. Toast the pecans about two minutes in a 400 degree oven then cool before roughly chopping.
2. Cook the chicken breast in a skillet then set the chicken aside.
3. Pour into the skillet, the cream, Dijon mustard, raspberry all fruit and chopped pecans.
4. Place the chicken back in and simmer for 8 minutes, turning the chicken once.

Enjoy.

Really good bean with bacon soup, tossed salad with pecans, Craisins and Gouda cheese, rice pilaf.

After a long day of shopping down in the county seat, sustained only by a stop at the best taco truck, we returned home tired. So an easy dinner: chop up leftover bok choy, add black fungus, a bit of chicken, a Chinese sausage, and stir-fry with black rice. The wine was a modest Central Coast pinot grigio, tasting more like a chablis. What ever happened to chablis?

We're bad with spices. We go somewhere, buy something exotic, take it home, toss it in the drawer or one of the cupboards hoarding spices, and forget about them for a decade or three. I swear some bay leaves date back to the Carter administration.

Tonight I'm making Jerk Style Black Beans using jerk spice we bought south of Tucson in 2006. It still kicks. Heat some andouille sausages in the brew and call it good. Don't forget the robust red wine.

Before last night's Jerk Beans and Andouille Sausage, I made a special Chinese chicken treat... closely following the recipe on the Dynasty Stir-Fry seasoning mix envelope. Which brings up The Dirty Secret of ‘Secret Family Recipes’ -- "Surprisingly often, they’re copied from mayo jars and famous cookbooks." Guess what? Food packagers want to show off their stuff to sell more of it, so their package recipes are often quite tasty. Dad's great spicy clam dip migrated off a Tobasco Sauce box. And famous cookbooks are famous for good reason.

So go ahead and plagiarize. It's your secret.

Roasted whole, chicken breast, thighs, wings?

When I was 15 I moved in with my very much single father and learned that in his world you can cook 'chicken' by placing a kilo of chicken breast fillets in the microwave and cooking on high for fifteen minutes. Would not recommend.

We had home made spring rolls for dinner. I refuse to relegate them to entree status.

It's Greek Easter

Roasted lamb and Greek potatoes, chicken souvlaki, spanakopita, saganaki, tzitziki, salad, and pita bread with all the fixings.

Roasted lamb and Greek potatoes, chicken souvlaki, spanakopita, saganaki, tzitziki, salad, and pita bread with all the fixings.

Forgot it was Eastern Orthodox Easter, explains why the Greek bakery was on full blast yesterday.

(I'm Catholic, but my Polish great-grandmother celebrated ALL Roman and Eastern Catholic holidays. Why? Because she loved the family around AND loved to eat and drink.)

Butter chicken, green beans,, and brown rice.

And plenty of bitten tongue because my mother has been staying with me since last Wednesday. :eek:

Smoked pastrami, roasted potatoes and homemade kraut. Feeling rather German this evening. jawohl. Es ist sehr gut!

Baked meatballs and spaghetti squash. Dessert will be a few bluberries, chopped toasted pecans, coconut and a tablespoon of cream.

Chili. In April.
I'm making spicy chili on the 20th day of Spring.

I'd like some, please?

Would gladly trade some of our cucumber-tomato-bell-pepper salad with feta in vinegar and oil dressing for it. I think we even have some spare hot pizza rolls somewhere.

Brown rice and chicken teriyaki for the others who are here. Peanut butter and pickle sandwich for me. I've had better. It's some weird, organic peanut butter. I think that's the problem.

Back