What is the best way to present a long story?

Madd_Maxxine

Experienced
I'm working on a story that has now become a novel. I'm at nearly 20,000 words. What is the best way to post such a story...in parts? and if so, what is a good length for each part?

20k words is perfectly fine to submit as one story. It's not even that long by Lit standards - about 6 Lit pages, and I've seen stories of 25+ pages.

That said, it can be a good idea to break it into shorter chapters. You'll see a drop in views by about 50% between the first and second chapters, but overall your scores will go up by chapter, as the readers who stick with you are the ones who are enjoying your story.

A few things to bear in mind:

I'd go for at least about 7000 words per chapter. This gives your readers enough "meat" to engage them and keep them interested in the next chapter.

Make sure that each chapter can stand by itself. Don't break it up arbitrarily just to reach a particular word count.

You can submit all your chapters at once. If you do, Laurel will decide how best to spread them - usually one a day. Or you can add a note (in the "notes to the admin" box) asking for them to be published a certain number of days apart.

This is Lit, so your readers have expectations, depending on what category your story is in. Erotic Couplings will need sex in each chapter, for instance. Sci-fi/fantasy is more forgiving, but they'll want some engaging plot or worldbuilding from the start. Take a look at other stories in your category and see what they do.

Also, this kind of question will get more eyeballs in the Authors' Hangout.

Have fun writing, and good luck!

Ooops..Sorry I made an error in the word count. It is actually 200,000 words. Quite a difference eh. I'll post the question on the new Authors forum as you suggest.

Back