What happened to all of the doom and gloom economic threads?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since President Obama signed the stimulus bill in early 2009, Washington has spent over $100 billion of it “transforming” America to a green electric grid. In Michigan alone, hundreds of millions have been distributed to rich utilities for upgrades to “smart grid” systems that enable better power management to accommodate electric cars; to rich multinationals like Dow and LGChem to produce batteries; and to wind-energy projects run by rich institutions like Dow Corning, Michigan Aerospace, and the University of Michigan

And on Thursday, the city of Detroit — one of the nation’s largest and poorest cities — lost power.

Is there a better metaphor for the Obama administration’s utopian transformation of America than the Detroit power blackout of 2011?

Like Obama nationally, Michigan has ignored its biggest city’s power infrastructure and instead poured money into quixotic wind projects on Lake Michigan and Lake Huron to feed the state’s Renewable Power Standard and the ideological demands of Washington.

“A wind turbine has over 8,000 individual parts and they all can be made right here in Michigan,” said Michigan senator Debbie Stabenow upon handing her state $1.9 million of wind pork back in July, 2009. “I am pleased these grants will support the important research efforts happening across our state as we continue to lead the way in developing clean energy technologies in the 21st century economy.”

Meanwhile, Detroit’s antiquated electricity infrastructure can’t even provide power through two 95-degree days before imploding. City officials said the blackout — which struck all of the city’s major buildings including city hall, museums, and the courts — was “caused by extreme power demand for air conditioning after two days of temperatures in the 90s.” Really? Just two days? And what happens when summer comes?

Vice President Biden told Time magazine in 2010 about stimulus brainstorming sessions with Obama “about an all-in push for a smarter electrical grid that would reduce blackouts, promote renewables and give families more control over their energy diet: ‘We said, “God, wouldn’t it be wonderful? Why don’t we invest $100 billion? Let’s just go build it!”’”

So how’s that working for you, Detroit?
Henry Payne
NRO

Wall Street limped to a six-week losing streak Friday, its longest since 2002, reflecting a gathering sentiment among investors that the economic recovery is going awry.

The losses, which pushed the Dow Jones industrial average below 12,000, have piled up after an exuberant eight-month run in which corporate profits and share prices soared. Retirement accounts of ordinary Americans began to look healthy again. The unemployment rate remained high but started to inch down.

Now, momentum from that stretch is fading fast, posing a headache for the Obama administration as it seeks to tout its record on the economy.

Recent data appear to confirm the turn for the worse. The jobless rate is rising. Housing prices have fallen below their financial-crisis lows. Gridlock in Washington over the nation’s debt is tying the hands of policymakers. Europe’s fiscal problems seem to have no solution in sight.Given the news, many Americans no longer feel confident that the nation’s economic problems will work themselves out, analysts said.

“I don’t see any catalyst for rapid economic growth in the near future, and other investors share my opinion and they are deciding to deploy their assets elsewhere,” said Matt McCormick, portfolio manager and banking analyst at Bahl & Gaynor Investment Counsel. “This is a natural reaction to a weakening economy and geopolitical concerns and a lack of political leadership in Washington.”

Even senior policymakers say the pace of recovery has not matched their expectations.

Federal Reserve Chairman Ben S. Bernanke said at a policy speech in Atlanta this week that the economy’s setbacks are temporary, but he acknowledged that growth has been more tepid than his agency expected. Stocks fell as he made his remarks.

I don't think so, my little-dicked marsupial buddy. But I will admit that I am in awe of your ability to blurt your life away on here 24-7 and say nothing at all in every post. When do you have time to fuck your wife, if indeed you even have a sex life?

thanks for your imput and insight about the economy....:rolleyes:

Obviously Bush left the economy in even a worser mess than the last time we discovered it was a worse mess than we had planned FORE! but luckily, now we finally have Palin's emails and will be able to discover how many people she Weinered...

... that will take everyone's mind off the economy.

Mr. Obama Tries to Hide the Decline
Last November during his trip to India, President Obama admitted that on his watch the United States was a declining economic power.

"For most of my lifetime," he said, "the U.S. was such an enormously dominant economic power … that we always met the rest of the world economically on our terms." But those days were over because of the rise of new international competitors such as China and India. But it was a positive development, he said, because "this will keep America on its toes. America is going to have to compete."

Then, during his recent trip to Britain, Mr. Obama abruptly denied the decline. "It's become fashionable in some quarters to question whether the rise of these nations will accompany the decline of American and European influence," he said. "That argument is wrong." Maybe so, but he was the one who made it.

Nothing dramatic has happened on the economic front since last fall that would justify this 180 degree shift in the president's thinking; in fact there have been several developments that argue to the contrary, such as rising energy prices, expanding U.S. debt and declining rates of U.S. GDP growth. But with the 2012 election pending the White House probably figured out that saying "America's decline is good for you" won't resonate with the electorate.

The new line is good but it would be even better if it was true.

Obama lives in the moment and every statement has a 20-minute expiration time...

"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation."
Barack Obama, December 2007

The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies. … Increasing America’s debt weakens us domestically and internationally. Leadership means that ‘the buck stops here. Instead, Washington is shifting the burden of bad choices today onto the backs of our children and grandchildren. America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership. Americans deserve better.
Senator Barack Hussein Obama, 2006

"That's not part of his power, but this is part of the whole theory of George Bush that he can make laws as he goes along. I disagree with that. I taught the Constitution for 10 years. I believe in the Constitution and I will obey the Constitution of the United States. We're not going to use signing statements as a way of doing an end-run around Congress...,"
Senator Barack Hussein Obama, 2008

“I believe in American exceptionalism, just as I suspect that the Brits believe in British exceptionalism and the Greeks believe in Greek exceptionalism.”
Barack Hussein Obama
Strasbourg, France

The US economy for a long period of time was the engine of world economic growth. We were sucking in imports from all across the world financed by huge amounts of consumer debt. Because of the financial crisis, but also because that debt was fundamentally unsustainable, the United States is not going to be able to serve in that same capacity to that same extent.
Barack Hussein Obama

Wall Street limped to a six-week losing streak Friday, its longest since 2002, reflecting a gathering sentiment among investors that the economic recovery is going awry.

The losses, which pushed the Dow Jones industrial average below 12,000, have piled up after an exuberant eight-month run in which corporate profits and share prices soared. Retirement accounts of ordinary Americans began to look healthy again. The unemployment rate remained high but started to inch down.

Now, momentum from that stretch is fading fast, posing a headache for the Obama administration as it seeks to tout its record on the economy.

Recent data appear to confirm the turn for the worse. The jobless rate is rising. Housing prices have fallen below their financial-crisis lows. Gridlock in Washington over the nation’s debt is tying the hands of policymakers. Europe’s fiscal problems seem to have no solution in sight.Given the news, many Americans no longer feel confident that the nation’s economic problems will work themselves out, analysts said.

“I don’t see any catalyst for rapid economic growth in the near future, and other investors share my opinion and they are deciding to deploy their assets elsewhere,” said Matt McCormick, portfolio manager and banking analyst at Bahl & Gaynor Investment Counsel. “This is a natural reaction to a weakening economy and geopolitical concerns and a lack of political leadership in Washington.”

Even senior policymakers say the pace of recovery has not matched their expectations.

Federal Reserve Chairman Ben S. Bernanke said at a policy speech in Atlanta this week that the economy’s setbacks are temporary, but he acknowledged that growth has been more tepid than his agency expected. Stocks fell as he made his remarks.

Well this is the thing, the glut in the housing market is a huge weight on the economic recovery. And there's virtually nothing that Obama (or a hypothetical president McCain or Bush) can do about it. And Obama inherited the problem from the previous administration.

That wont stop righties from blaming Obama anyway. Their criticism doesn't have to use logic of course.

Ahhhhh...finally...

...some profitable economic news:

Vice Admiral William Landay, head of the Defense Security Cooperation Agency, told reporters at the Pentagon Friday that despite the recent unrest and still unstable situation in Egypt "There has been no change in what we were doing before" concerning US arms sales to that nation.

Which is a good way, I guess, to get some of the billions back that we're giving them in "aid" for free...

Conflicts all over the world are being very good to America's role as weapon supplier to the world:

The U.S. Defense Department expects arms exports that it manages to top $46 billion in fiscal 2011, which ends September 30, up from $31.6 billion the year before, driven by those international tensions and strong demand for proven technology.

Well this is the thing, the glut in the housing market is a huge weight on the economic recovery. And there's virtually nothing that Obama (or a hypothetical president McCain or Bush) can do about it. And Obama inherited the problem from the previous administration.

easy to fix in a nano second

only thing is the NIGGER can do it and you will protect the NIGGER at all costs

That wont stop righties from blaming Obama anyway. Their criticism doesn't have to use logic of course.

Funny how nobody took this in consideration the whole time they were blasting "the right" for all the doom and gloom over the economy which was in good hands and improving with every weak indicator and every time the DOW crossed 11 or 12K...

Now that what we were saying is just playing out as we said it most likely would because we've been doing some economic reading, it's back to the thinly-veiled charge of "racism..."

wow "NOTHING OBAMA CAN DO"

this is great, when did you become a quitter? do you always role over on your back like a bitch dog?

Funny how nobody took this in consideration the whole time they were blasting "the right" for all the doom and gloom over the economy which was in good hands and improving with every weak indicator and every time the DOW crossed 11 or 12K...

Now that what we were saying is just playing out as we said it most likely would because we've been doing some economic reading, it's back to the thinly-veiled charge of "racism..."

I like how Merc (the jackass) gives credit to obama when the market picks up, but when there is bad news, its all Bush's fault

awesome! I love the left, they are just so stupid

He could announce some stability, or that he was directing Holder to side with the states against the mandate...

;) ;)

didn't Clinton try to "mandate" that every American had to own a home? how did that turn out?

oh wait, Clinton said "its a right for every American to own a house"

NUTS

what I don't understand, why do so many GB people want everything for "FREE"?

free heath care
free college
free home
free this?

is the new logo for the obama, "Why work when I can give it to you for free?"

He could announce some stability, or that he was directing Holder to side with the states against the mandate...

;) ;)

When government decides to to redistribute wealth to the lowest 10%, the the eleventh percentile begins to wonder why not it, make noise, and turn to the politician who sees a chance to project their job with secure votes, pretty soon every group is demonstrating need and loyalty, even if it is just self-preservation...
When under the pretext of fraternity, the legal code imposes mutual sacrifices on the citizens, human nature is not thereby abrogated. Everyone will then direct his efforts toward contributing little to, and taking much from, the common fund of sacrifices. Now, is it the most unfortunate who gains from this struggle? Certainly not, but rather the most influential and calculating.
Frederic Bastiat

When your philosophy of government is based on groups, you must remember that your group can be a favored or disfavored group with equal ease and that neither status is ever permanent any more than the favors government solemnly promised to purchase your group loyalty.
A_J, the Stupid

When the government gets powerful enough to fight over, the people will fight over it, and to the victors go the spoils, thus setting up the next fight.
A_J, the Stupid

When Government gets so powerful that its purchase price is cost effective, even imperative, to business, then business will purchase government indulgences.
A_J, the Stupid

and the wing nut Sean and his buddy Merc want the stigma of "Welfare" to be removed.

after all, in those tools eyes, welfare is a valid career choice

(I'm guessing UD, Costalboylover, Bronze, RichardDaily) all feel the same way

When government decides to to redistribute wealth to the lowest 10%, the the eleventh percentile begins to wonder why not it, make noise, and turn to the politician who sees a chance to project their job with secure votes, pretty soon every group is demonstrating need and loyalty, even if it is just self-preservation...
When under the pretext of fraternity, the legal code imposes mutual sacrifices on the citizens, human nature is not thereby abrogated. Everyone will then direct his efforts toward contributing little to, and taking much from, the common fund of sacrifices. Now, is it the most unfortunate who gains from this struggle? Certainly not, but rather the most influential and calculating.
Frederic Bastiat

When your philosophy of government is based on groups, you must remember that your group can be a favored or disfavored group with equal ease and that neither status is ever permanent any more than the favors government solemnly promised to purchase your group loyalty.
A_J, the Stupid

When the government gets powerful enough to fight over, the people will fight over it, and to the victors go the spoils, thus setting up the next fight.
A_J, the Stupid

When Government gets so powerful that its purchase price is cost effective, even imperative, to business, then business will purchase government indulgences.
A_J, the Stupid

and the wing nut Sean and his buddy Merc want the stigma of "Welfare" to be removed.

after all, in those tools eyes, welfare is a valid career choice

(I'm guessing UD, Costalboylover, Bronze, RichardDaily) all feel the same way

It's all summed up in the conversation between Dagny Taggert and the "hobo" on the train as he describes what became of the motorworks...

Who is John Galt?

(If you want to actually be better, ease up on the rhetoric and just make points...)

It's all summed up in the conversation between Dagny Taggert and the "hobo" on the train as he describes what became of the motorworks...

Who is John Galt?

(If you want to actually be better, ease up on the rhetoric and just make points...)

I know, it's just so hard to stop! I crack myself up
(I just don't understand how anyone can trust government as most of our political leaders are worse then the tools at enron)

I know, it's just so hard to stop! I crack myself up
(I just don't understand how anyone can trust government as most of our political leaders are worse then the tools at enron)

That's easy...

If Catholic Schools teach a healthy respect for the faith, what do you think government schools produce?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back