What Are You Listening To Now? 5.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
My country suggestions

I'll relisten to the songs you listed and see if I can think to recommend some of the same kind. I remember ones I liked, but I want it to be something that fits your examples. Give me some time and I'll start thinking/working on a list. :)

Have it here. I hope it's to your liking.

Country Music recommendations

Smoky Mountain Rain”--Ronnie Milsap
I Wouldn’t Have Missed It for the World
What a Difference You’ve Made in My Life
Any Day Now

Blind pianist whose very smooth voice soars in his songs.

Kenny Rogers--you have to listen to him if you listen to anything country:

Coward of the County
Lucille

John Denver--very smooth guitarist and well-known in his time.

Take Me Home, Country Roads
Annie’s Song
Sunshine on My Shoulders
Wild Montana Skies” w/Emmylou Harris
Fly Away” w/Olivia Newton John

George Jones

He Stopped Loving Her Today”--probably his most famous song

Patsy Cline--a must-mention (some might say I should mention Dolly Parton or Tammy Wynette, but she has a much smoother delivery and voice than the other two)

Crazy
I Fall to Pieces

“Gentleman” Jim Reeves--very smooth, baritone crooner.

Welcome to My World

Willie Nelson--you’ll have to filter through his songs, as people either hate his singing or love it.

Always on My Mind

Johnny Cash--a must-listen; he expressed his voice and lyrics in probably the most unique way IMO.

Hurt
Solitary Man” (a big hit by redoing Neil Diamond’s song)--impressive acoustic guitar

This is hardly exhaustive, but definitely gives you several things to check. Great thing is that you see them on Youtube and find which you really like.

There are others I could have included but I tried to use ones closer to what you listed rather than go with some country singers that did more ballads and I especially excluded any modern country ones, given they’re so different from the more classical country like these.

Jerry Jeff Walker did a song called "I feel like Hank Williams tonight"... but I'm really loving Sunny Sweeney's cover of the song.

Beethoven, 9th Symphony.
From this evening's Proms concert.
And damned good it was, too !

@Kantarii: Excellent picks! Tapping my foot in the corner.

Now playing:

Leprous - Stuck

https://youtu.be/jk63FcCIw9g

Heard another song by them on my fave metal radio station and dug around on youtube for it. Very intrigued. The vocalist puts Morten Harket, Matt Bellamy and Justin Hawkins to shane. To be frank, calling their song a radio edit seems very optimistic. I'd like to hear more like that on mainstream radio, but considering that most local stations seem to hate good music with a vengeance, there's little hope of that happening.

Rush - Roll the Bones (album)

Has aged much better than for example "Vapor Trails". Very smooth, nice to listen to.

Karl Sanders - Saurian Meditation

Mr. Sanders is one of the driving heads behind extreme tech-deathers Nile, who cross their particular blend of auditory madness with a big helping of Middle-Eastern influences. For his first solo record, Sanders has ditched the the odd time signatures, blistering speeds and mind-bending breaks for a very laid-back, almost completely acoustic celebration of Ancient Egypt. Lots of exotic instruments playing unusual scales, plus occult chants and majestic choirs. Makes for a wonderful treat somewhere in between movie score and ambient noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back