Western Trails (closed)

He chuckled, "Well you learn what you can when on the trails, the Indians knows a lot about the country, we can learn a lot from them. But the European man only wishes to see growth and prosperity, he doesn't see that his prosperous growth is killing the land."

He looked up at her and chuckled, "OK never mind that, I just feel sour because people are starting to live past nature on which they depend to survive."

"So, you're saying that I should prepare for a life outside of the city and living off the land if I stay with you afer everything." Penny said with a chuckle. "Should have figured I'd fall for an antisocial kind of guy, but I guess I shouldn't mind it."

He smiled at her

"Well I am not all that anti-social as it seems. It is just that my name, it draws the wrong attention and the best thing to do is to stay away from crowded areas like towns. Although it does seem that the cities allows you to disappear in the crowd."

He thought for a moment,

"I can teach you all I know about the herbs and medicinal powers they have, I would like to breed my own horses though. There is just something . . . honest and relaxing about it."

"And what about someone who tries to make a name for themselves by coming after you? Would we be in danger?" Penny asked, glancing up at John as she asked that very important question. "I don't want to live a life constantly looking over my shoulder."

John smiled at her and thought about it for a moment

"If you want to spend the rest of your life with me, John "Muerte" Denver will have to die. That is the only way to really get around the fact that all sorts of gunslingers and prospecting gunfighters would want me dead."

He tested the brew, found it cool enough and poured a good measure into a cup for Penny

"Speaking of us both getting healthy, you should drink that while it is still warm."

He moved his shoulder, still a bit stiff from the bullet wound and poured himself the rest into the other cup

"Think I will join you for this round, got to heal up and the rain should stop soon enough. I believe that tomorrow we will be able to travel a few miles."

"We still have to reckon with the fact that we killed my husband." Penny said as she sipped on the brew that he handed her. "Not that anyone will miss his sorry hide. He beat me enough that no one in town would blame me."

She went quiet then, letting out a sigh as she thought about life in general and everything that had happened to her up until that moment. "I've worked hard my entire life. I just thought that maybe one day things might get a little easier."

He poured himself a measure of the mixture and took a sip,

"The moment he went for his gun it became an uneven fight. He wasn't a gunfighter and if he was, he would have known before he even started, that he was not fast enough."

He looked at her

"We all have to work through life, sometimes we get lucky and we make enough to be satisfied with what we have, and sometimes we have to scrape and fight until our last breath. I just want to find satisfaction, I do not need much for that."

He drank some of the brew,

"It can't rain all the time."

Back