"To keep the review thread clean..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
flyguy69 said:
I think MojoCat is hoping to do reviews today, so I am going to hold off for now. I'll check back later and review if he is unable to do so.

She :)

I wasn't sure if you wanted me to start today or next week, and your inbox was full, so I made other plans for my day - hopefully I can start next week?

Lauren Hynde said:
Tonight's question is one that deserves the attention of all of us, I think: :D

Hyndeland Decides:
"Give Us Money!" Quoth the Poet

<snip>The Government Position

The government has yet to formalize a position on this issue.​

Any opinions?
What good are silver and gold ingots if you don't have anything to spend them on? Of course, you could cast them into some precious metals sculpture but we all know what happened to "The Happy Prince" once the swallow started picking at him... Don't we? Huh?

Click here to see what happened to The Happy Prince

Lauren Hynde said:
I've been playing for the last couple of months an online game called NationStates, where every day you're asked one or two policy-defining questions and then sit back and see how twisted your little empire turns out.

Hyndeland Decides:

The Issue

The National Poetry Society of Hyndeland is demanding government-funded programs to promote the arts, especially poetry.

The Debate

1. "We need government help to promote culture." says Jack Licorish, chairperson of the National Poetry Society of Hyndeland. "Poetry is the soul of our nation, the very pulse of humanity! We will ultimately be judged according to our contribution to artistic enlightenment. In other words, please provide funding for our humble mission to bring the beauty of poetry to the masses!"

2. "Artists and poets should support themselves, like everyone else," replies Chastity Winters, spokesperson for the Capitalism Now Party. "The suffering taxpayers should be given a break. In fact, we should abolish all government subsidies for special interest groups."

3. "Poets--who needs them?!" scoffs Johann Love, Chairperson Emeritus of the Troglodyte Coalition. "These long-haired troublemakers should all be lined up against the wall and shot! That would be far more entertaining than reading some dumb poems!"​

The Government Position

Any opinions?

This is an issue that gets me going. I don't believe in any government funding for any of the arts and not because I believe in not burdening the taxpayer but because who decides who is funded and who isn't? You end up with a quasi-government body making judgements on who should and shouldn't be funded. You end up with official state art, the type of which the west used to mock the arts of the Soviet Union about, though the west has always been worse than the Soviet Union for paying for official art. It leads to a small clique of over hyped unrepresentative art that has no credibility or intrinsic value because it has no political content (political with a small 'p' as opposed to being party political). Rather like painting of the 1950s that has nothing beyond optics. Plenty of pretty designs to brighten up corporate walls but devoid of content.

In Britain you have the arts council that pays for opera that ordinary people do not want to see and if they do they can't afford it, yet they pay for it. Visual art that is so absurd it is routinely mocked and poetry books that are printed that no one reads. Theatre productions that no one attends and films no one wants to see. The list of failed projects and wasted money is endless and all the while you have a clique of self righteous people making a good living at the taxpayers expense who are costantly whining for more money and more support. These people are really unemployable and should really be on social security if they are desperate for money. In fact social security has proved a bettter way to incubate and support the arts in Britain than the arts council. Many artists, musicians and writers have lived on social security while working on projects that proved successful because the incentive is there to go out and promote their projects and get off social security.

More evidence. France has poured millions into its film industry over the years and makes cinemas play a quota of French films but still people prefer to watch the more commercial Hollywood films. There is a quota system on French radio where so much of the air time has to be devoted to French music so what do people do? They chage channels and listen to foreign popular music because French artists don't produce music the audience wants in the quantities they want.

Now get me off of this damn soap box!!!!

Lauren Hynde said:
I've been playing for the last couple of months an online game called NationStates, where every day you're asked one or two policy-defining questions and then sit back and see how twisted your little empire turns out.

Hyndeland Decides:

The Issue

The National Poetry Society of Hyndeland is demanding government-funded programs to promote the arts, especially poetry.

The Debate

1. "We need government help to promote culture." says Jack Licorish, chairperson of the National Poetry Society of Hyndeland. "Poetry is the soul of our nation, the very pulse of humanity! We will ultimately be judged according to our contribution to artistic enlightenment. In other words, please provide funding for our humble mission to bring the beauty of poetry to the masses!"

2. "Artists and poets should support themselves, like everyone else," replies Chastity Winters, spokesperson for the Capitalism Now Party. "The suffering taxpayers should be given a break. In fact, we should abolish all government subsidies for special interest groups."

3. "Poets--who needs them?!" scoffs Johann Love, Chairperson Emeritus of the Troglodyte Coalition. "These long-haired troublemakers should all be lined up against the wall and shot! That would be far more entertaining than reading some dumb poems!"​

The Government Position

Any opinions?

some of the best poetry was written when heads where on pikes, can't make the same claim for dollars in the pocket.

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

so why not fund it, through Minitrue?

bogusbrig said:
I've just read her. Definitely very good.

dude I think it is time to change your av.
I am not sure how much longer I can be disturbed like this :)

annaswirls said:
A new poet to Literotica but definately not a new poet, that is for sure.

:)

<big fat grin> You already know what I think ...about that...<grin>

I think she has been here more than a month or two but I am beginning to find favor in wildsweetones writes.

and of course cward2 <grin> Rhyme Fairy and LeBroz and ReHairedandFreindly and lindiana and bluerains and Jennifer C and .......

Last edited:
My Erotic Tale said:
Le Broz~

aside from the wonderful poetry he shares, I for one think the man is an icon for the rest to pay attention how a gentle and kind soul helps others better their literary creations with grammar and structure lessons in the nicest and kindest way possible. I have never ever heard it come from leons mouth that he thought a poem sucks or that it was 'AWEFUL'.

The same goes for Du Lac, whom, after she read my story candy cane <I had asked for an edit> she didn't like it I could tell but she was very nice about it and gave me one of the best literary lessons in writing that I have yet to recieve here at lit. And indirectly made "Candy Cane" a very good story. <much better anyway>

I know there are so many willing to help or teach here but to me <for me> it is all about attitude and the way a person presents themself. 1201 wants me to listen to what he is trying to say to make a better poet of me but I can not read past his negativeness, as with Pat who has a soap box you should climb in order to converse with. their are a lot willing to help but you muct indure the pompuss professor syndrome that I was told by Du is the way 'most' the professors teach... like tough love. Calling everything 'crap' to make you try and do better <?>

I teach and anna asked what do I do when a student does not do a form correct. I first off encourage them that they are on the right track and doing 'a great job' but in this turn they need to stop and relocate their stance for a better projection of a kick, strike or block. I don't tell them that they are aweful or that they suck. So 'that' is a personality thing.

As for 'LEON' I bow humble to his teachings, his writings and his helpful literary eye along with the kindness that shines from an icon of a poet. A Man with the credentials and the right attitude to shine for those of us trying to learn poetry in a place that has a lack of bed side mannars, although I see it getting better I have to praise Leon for his kind ways and great poetry.

thanks Leon~

Maybe if you stop bringing the negative to the forefront folks could get past it and learn about you. You wear your negativity like a shield; I have been stopped by it many times. I would like to know more about everyone here, but I can't sometimes. Its a shame.

BooMerengue said:
Maybe if you stop bringing the negative to the forefront folks could get past it and learn about you. You wear your negativity like a shield; I have been stopped by it many times. I would like to know more about everyone here, but I can't sometimes. Its a shame.

Honest Boo, I never really felt a negative note in my write, I am trying to show that there is a way to teach and then their are others ways of stroking <my opinion> I think most can see the difference.

My praise to leon is for being a very valuble and polite teaching tool here with his poetry as well as his willingness to help us 'LESSER' poets <laughing>

For those who have not extended a warm welcome to Leon ...now would be a good time. Thanks cward2

Thanks leon for all your help and understanding, as well as your enlightenment

annaswirls said:
dude I think it is time to change your av.
I am not sure how much longer I can be disturbed like this :)

The hair was getting a little out of hand so I've redistributed it.

Hi ya peeps.

Interesting what ya'll been chattin about as of late. :D
Ya'll are crackin me up, ya have to know that.

This close to Christmas and you are discussing slang and if'n it is country dialect or just a lazy writer. Young .. OK I officially give. I am 33 and a very new poet. Have not written in years and I love being here at Lit. I do not need someone defending me. I do love criticism, constructive that is. AND I am a true romantic from the word go ... I love the naughty side, the everyday things involved in writing and thought. Simple words can be so misleading and yet, maybe NOT. Think outside the box is one'a my fav. thoughts and I do it often.

Just a few thoughts from me.
Been busy and all. I am not ignoring anyone
or upset with ya'll.

Oh ... no offense has been taken.

;)

RF~

:rose:

RhymeFairy said:
Hi ya peeps.

This close to Christmas and you are discussing slang and if'n it is country dialect or just a lazy writer. Young .. OK I officially give. I am 33 and a very new poet. Have not written in years and I love being here at Lit. I do not need someone defending me. I do love criticism, constructive that is. AND I am a true romantic from the word go ... I love the naughty side, the everyday things involved in writing and thought. Simple words can be so misleading and yet, maybe NOT. Think outside the box is one'a my fav. thoughts and I do it often.

or upset with ya'll.

;)

RF~

I knew ya'd find some humor in tha' way we enjoy ya's writs

I am currently in a conversation about the ....<looking for a non-negative way to relay.....> those that claim we have no respect for the language,,, I am learning why they say this <grin> they are taught this? well I ain't been to that school <grin> some went to the school of literary greatness, I went to the school of enlightenment and self preservation. You know those who defend a country with arms and might to keep the book burners from going hog wild <grin>

cward2 said:
I really miss cymry and her exquisite poetry. has anyone heard from her?

The gal's a pastry chef and is rather busy this time of year. I miss her writing and am looking forward to her return in January when holiday overindulgence subsides.

My Erotic Tale said:
I know there are so many willing to help or teach here but to me <for me> it is all about attitude and the way a person presents themself. 1201 wants me to listen to what he is trying to say to make a better poet of me but I can not read past his negativeness, as with Pat who has a soap box you should climb in order to converse with. their are a lot willing to help but you muct indure the pompuss professor syndrome that I was told by Du is the way 'most' the professors teach... like tough love. Calling everything 'crap' to make you try and do better <?>
I thought this was a praise thread for LeBroz and not a trash some others who aren't.
I don't know LeBroz very well at all, and I'm not too familiar with his poetry. And I've never heard a bad word about him. I will have to make an effort to check out his work--and when I say effort, I mean find the time, which seems to be limited more and more lately. :)

WickedEve said:
I thought this was a praise thread for LeBroz and not a trash some others who aren't.
I don't know LeBroz very well at all, and I'm not too familiar with his poetry. And I've never heard a bad word about him. I will have to make an effort to check out his work--and when I say effort, I mean find the time, which seems to be limited more and more lately. :)

Well I always lay words out like sandpaper <grin>

my intent was that leon expresses an icon of a online personality for helping others achieve their literary goals in an inspirational, knowledgeable and a kind, encouraging way...

Last edited:
BooMerengue said:

Boo please do not be so ridiculous. :rolleyes: MET never has anything negative to say. Ever.

He is righteous, never pompuss, he is da bomb. I do not know what you are meaning by saying that he is negative, all he did was come onto a thread meant to celebrate a poet and use it as a stage to point out all of the people he does not aggreee wit. He was not trying to be negative, he just wanted to give NAMES of people and why they are WRONG. You know, that non-judgemental stuff. You know, the positive.

By pointing out the negative with a negative MET makes everything he touches positive with his negativity. Or wait, I forgot, he is not negative.

:rolleyes:

please lets be positive, Boo!

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
well this is as strange as socks on a chicken

two threads combined? thread name change?

recognition for new poets ....
or a Poem Academy <there you are > <grinin>

twelveoone said:
I am, I feel what I say, speaks to me. :rolleyes:
I'm sorry I misread I thought it said up and going ~ not much use hanging around, with thread after thread of David Koresh rants about how awful critics are, take a look dippy tail boy, here , who mauled me? tarablackwood22, didn't mince words did she? who do I love? tarablackwood22, why? she didn't mince words. Crap is crap, even if it's mine; and if I disagree, she still respects me.
the critics are gone
Two major differences MET, I came to write, find out what is good and people like you have made it damn near impossible. The other, I am not going to play the H game.

"I do not need someone defending me"

okay it's official,
I love this woman

RhymeFairy said:
Hi ya peeps.

or upset with ya'll.

;)

RF~

Last edited:
My Erotic Tale said:
well this is as strange as socks on a chicken

two threads combined? thread name change?

recognition for new poets ....
or a Poem Academy <there you are > <grinin>

Very strange indeed!

But I think it is strange as chicken in a sock
unless that is some Southern cookin' technique, or voodoo ritual, Eve?

A small note of thanx!

art14.gif

I just want to note to those who commented and posted on the Sunday Community Reviews the last few weeks. I have been busy with a new job that has kept me from reviewing the poems that poets graciously have presented for us to consume. Those who have stepped up and made sure that the wonderful poems have been mentioned receive my deepest gratitude!!!!! I will do my best to try and keep up with the flux of poems on Sunday but still need the help of others in this community.

Secondly, I must mention my appreciation to Sack for his poem titled The Transformation of Du. I am humbled and extremely honored that he could create small tidbits of knowledge he possessed of my life into such a wonderful expression of words. Thank you Sack. I was shocked and honored.

I would like to share with the forum a recent experience. As many may know from my writings I have been studying the art of spirituality in many different cultures for some time now. My most recent has been an interest in the Hopi prophecies. Living somewhat close to Hopi land Morgan and decided to take a ride into the Reservation in order to see if we could learn anything new first hand that did not come from a book.

We already knew that the Navajo and Hopi had issues with each other. We had stopped at a few of the Navajo stalls and picked up some bead work for myself. When they asked where we were going we spoke of the highway that took us into Hopi land. What we felt then was a horrible negative energy upon only mentioning the route that took us through this land. It was obvious that there was strong feelings here regarding the Hopi. This was also reversed once we were in Hopi land. Spying a navajo bracelet on me the once receptive woman turned cold and it was all too obvious that we were to leave now.

How can two spiritual cultures have such hostility towards each other? I found it so disheartening that the wealth of their spiritual culture was clouded by the negative influence of ignorance. I smelt the fear in the air... hostility and the need to change another or take over what they possess is always breed from a fear base. I thought hard on the long drive home how they are missing such wonderful opportunities to enlighten those who travel through their presence on the true nature of the spiritual practice that once was the foundation of their being. I can only hope that we ALL learn that lesson soon. During this time of year we should be immersed in the goodwill of mankind ... and do our best to live these practices each and everyday of our lives.

I took this experience as a reminder to seek the truth within myself. I work now with young women who have many issues. I can only show to them the path to recovery and allow them the honor of choosing the path of their destiny. I was grateful for the lesson the Navajo and Hopi taught me and I hope that in sharing this with you... it may sooth the fury that I found on these threads upon returning. We are here to learn and grow from each other but each of us has the choice of when and to whom we will listen and learn...

blessings
Du Lac~

thanks for sharing that story Du Lac. not to belittle your experience, i can equate it to my christmas day each year. maybe seeing it from your perspective will give me an answer for helping smooth the king tides around here. thank you.

also, i've not had many chances to check out and comment on the new poems that arrive each day in litland. it's coincidence, but my monday mornings (your sundays) sometimes have little gaps where i can come in and read some poems on the site. it's been fun being able to share some of the poems i enjoyed.

Du Lac said:
... I found it so disheartening that the wealth of their spiritual culture was clouded by the negative influence of ignorance.
Ha! I doubt that any of the folks you met would characterize it as ignorance! The Hopi and the Diné know each other well. But is it illustrative of cultural tension across the world, which we all hope could be reduced with understanding. There is probably a lesson there for us regarding Iraq: much of the tension results from the imposition of law and boundaries by the U.S. gov't.

Hopi society, in particular Hopi religious society, is very closed. It will take great persistence if you hope to learn things there that are not in books. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back