To Capture a Captain's Heart (closed)

Christopher quickly rounded the table and wrapped Kayla in his arms, cradling her against his chest with all the fierce protectiveness and love in the world. "I love you, milady Kayla..." It seemed the honorifics weren't going anywhere anytime soon, though.

“And I love you, my dear Captain.” Kayla answered honestly, holding him a tightly as she could. “More then you could ever know.”

It was nearly three weeks later when Julia finally returned home with a broken, depressed, and badly wounded Brogan. Word quickly spread that he'd attempted suicide, and he was kept under heavy watch. It was yet another week before Kayla got a chance to see him alone when he'd come back from the prison alone. He wasn't supposed to be on his own, lest his depression became too much for him again.

He came to her room, knocking lightly on the open door. She was on her own for a few hours whilst Christopher sorted out his men and a roster of Irish dead with Lord Monaghan.

"Mornin', Kay," he spoke quietly with a hoarse voice. It was the first she'd heard him speak since he returned.

Kayla was resting next to the fire in a pretty new blue gown that the women of the family had made for her. She appreciated their help and most importantly, she appreciated their distance. She needed time to heal, mentally and physically, and Christopher was the only person that she needed near.

She was reading a book that Julia had loaned her, her broken wrist resting in her lap as she heard a knock at her open door. Looking up, she was stunned to see Brogan, his quiet voice still filling the room as he stepped into her chamber.

“Brogan.” She murmured, hurrying out of her chair to wrap her older brother in the tightest hug that she could muster. “I’m so happy to see you.”

Brogan carefully- no... weakly- wrapped Kayla in his embrace. "I 'eard about all ye've done fer th'family, darlin'... Gods I don' know what we'd 'ave done without ya..." he kissed her forehead and lifted a hand to her cheek. It'd been a long time since she'd shared a tender moment with Brogan... possibly the first since Cassie had died.

"I'd have done it a million more times if given the chance, Brogan." Kayla said softly as her brother cupped her cheek and looked down into her eyes. "I'm just happy that we have you back. You're the glue that holds us all together."

Again she leaned her head in and rested it against his broad chest, simply enjoying the fact that her brother was holding her tightly. He hadn't shown that type of affection since Cassie had died and Kayla was overjoyed to know that he was most definitely getting better.

Brogan spent quite a long while at her side, at least until Christopher returned. Then he quietly excused himself, saying he needed to go to Julia before she worried too much about him.

Christopher watched the broken King go, then looked to Kayla and muttered softly, "He looks much better than he did before... I know it's not my place, but I can't help wondering what happened to him and what happened in the middle of the battle... I was fighting at the fort, I didn't see the cannons."

Kayla watched her brother leave, with a lump in her throat, but happy that he was alright. She let out a little sigh as Christopher's comment reached her and she needed in agreement. She had wondered what happened to her brother as well, but it wasn't her place to ask. It was the same as keeping the secret of the rape that had occurred during her "wedding" night. She didn't say anything to anyone, even though all those around her knew the truth.

"If the ice has let up, perhaps we can go on a walk, Captain." She said softly, looking at Christopher with a small smile on her face. "I think I've been cooped up too long."

"If it hasn't, then we'll still take a walk about the Keep," he returned with a sweet smile. "After all, a beauty such as yourself shouldn't be hidden away, milady." He came to her side and took her hand to kiss it. He was always such a formal gentleman even when he didn't need to be.

Kayla blushed as her handsome captain kisses the back of her hand, telling her that she was beautiful. She let out a sigh and couldn't keep the silly smile off her face. She was in love with Christopher, completely and totally, but she was still scared of what their future held.

"I think that's a lovely idea, Captain." She said with a smile, looping her arm through his and looking up into his handsome face with the most luminous grin that she could muster.

Christopher paused as she looked up at him so lovingly, and he couldn't help himself. Lifting a hand to her chin to keep her face turned to him, he whispered, "Forgive me..." And with that, he pressed his lips to her own in what was the most adoring, heartfelt kiss of her life.

Kayla gasped as Christopher wrapped her in the most passionate kiss that she had ever had in her life. She let out a little sigh, her eyes fluttering close as she practically melted against his body. In his arms, she felt safe and loved. He was the man that she wanted to spend her life with, but it was soon enough that bad thoughts started to creep into her mind.

It suddenly felt stifling in his embrace, her heart racing as a sweat broke out across her brow. She pushed against his shoulder, letting out a cry of fear as everything piled upon her at once. She could only see Olaf, his harsh hands bruising her skin as he kissed her without reason or passion.

"No!" Kayla cried out, her eyes opening as she looked into Christopher's face, her dark eyes wide with fright.

Christopher pulled back in shock, trying to understand what he'd done wrong. "Milady...?" He asked gently, but the look in her eyes told him everything. "Lady Kayla," he spoke in a calming tone. "It's okay, it's just me."

Kayla was staring up at Christopher, tears in her eyes as he gently reminded her that it was just him there with her. She let out a shaking sigh, her arms wrapping around his chest as she pulled herself closer to his body. She was shaking like a leaf in a winter storm, clinging to the only thing that made her feel normal.

"I'm so sorry, Christopher." She murmured, not really sure what she was apologizing for. "I'm so sorry."

"There's nothing to be sorry for, milady," he whispered softly, cradling her close in the gentlest of embraces. "Don't apologize..." He laid his head against her own and closed his eyes, praying to whatever deity that would listen to help Kayla heal.

Kayla slowly started to calm, letting out a long sigh before she pressed her ear against his chest and listened to the gentle sound of his heart. It was warming and welcome and she slowly let the soothing sound wash over her.

"Your kiss...was welcome, but all I can see when I close my eyes...is him." She murmured softly, confessing to Christopher her deepest secrets.

"Then my goal will be to chase him to the furthest reaches of your memory as quickly as possible," Christopher told her softly, but with determination in his voice. "I won't allow him to hold control over anyone any more. Especially not the woman I love."

"I don't know if he'll ever be gone." Kayla confessed as she snuggled against Christopher's chest. "Perhaps you should find someone else to love, Captain. Someone not so....damaged."

Christopher felt his heart break the slightest bit at her words, at the idea that she felt she wasn't good enough. "No... no one's as perfect as you, Lady Kayla... And it took so long to tell you how I feel, I don't want to go through that again... I've found my love, and I'm not about to give her up..." He kissed her forehead gently.

Kayla said nothing as her Captain professed that she was the only girl for him. There would be no starting over and there would be no one else for him. She let out a little sigh as he held her close, knowing that she would probably break his heart.

"How about that walk now?" She asked him softly, looking up into his handsome face for a long moment.

"Of course, milady." He gave her a heartening smile and retrieved her cloak for her. Outside the weather was just fine for a walk, and they made their way toward the loch together. There weren't any people there that day, so the water was silent aside from the usual lap against the sand.

Kayla was silent on their walk to the loch. The air was chilly, but the ice had stopped. That was welcome, she thought as she tucked her arm a little more securely into the Captain's strong arm. She liked Christopher. If she were honest with herself, she loved him, but after Olaf, she didn't know if she could let herself be the same girl that she'd been once upon a time.

"I've been summoned back to court." She said softly, looking up at Christopher to gauge his reaction. "I'm not sure that my heart is in it any longer."

Nothing but concern registered in Christopher's features. "I think you need a rest from all this, milady... Maybe you should consider leaving a while. Maybe... come to Ireland." He wanted her to be happy again, to smile as often as she used to. "I'm afraid that I must return there soon myself... Lord Monaghan needs me."

It was unexpected when he told her that he had to leave soon...and he wanted her to go with him. She wanted to go with him but the thought of leaving Inverness was almost too much to think about.

"Someone would have to go with me." She murmured, unsure why she needed a chaperon. This was Christopher, the man that was so polite and loved her completely.

"I suppose that will have to be someone you choose, milady... But I will have to be gone before the end of the week." He sighed, glancing at the ground. "If you do decide to come... I will be waiting, no matter how long it takes."

Back