To Capture a Captain's Heart (closed)

Kayla was quiet after Boar told her that she now controlled the army of Norway. She didn’t really know how she felt about the news. To her, it was too high a price she paid for that kind of power.

“Then I give that power over to you and Durban.” She said softly, her spirit withering just a little bit further.

It was obvious to everyone gathered in her room that this wasn’t the same sunny Kayla that had brightened their lives. She seemed distant, haunted, and even the baby in her arms could barely raise a smile to her features.

"They're no' gonna listen t'us, love," Durban told her gently as Boar laid his daughter back in Emma's arms so he could hug his sister gently. All of them could guess what had happened to her, really.

"But I don't want it." She said as Boar slipped beside her and held her tight, rubbing her injured arm lightly as Kayla trembled. "I don't want any of this."

It was then that she lost control and started to sob, turning her face against her brother's should for comfort.

"Aw, love..." Boar whispered softly as he laid his head against her own. It was a moment later that Christopher appeared in the doorway, having heard his love's cry.

"Lady Kayla..." Christopher spoke breathlessly, and Boar let the Irish Captain take Kayla in his arms. Vincenzo cleared the family out for the moment, letting Kayla let out her pain and emotions.

Kayla sobbed into the Captain's shoulder as Vincenzo cleared the room of her siblings. It was hard to be around them no matter how much she valued their company. It was hard to think about anything in normal terms. Still it felt so good to be in Christopher's strong embrace.

"I sound like a child." She whimpered pitifully against his shoulder, drying her eyes against his linen tunic.

"No, milady. Children cry over trivial things. You have every right and you shouldn't feel that you're not allowed to let out your emotions... especially to me." He lifted her chin ever so carefully to meet her eyes. "Forgive me, Lady Kayla... even though I don't deserve it. I failed to keep you safe."

"There's nothing to forgive." She said softly, simply resting against his shoulder as they talked. "You couldn't have stopped what happened. I just...I just wish that I could give you something special. Now I'm worthless."

"Special?" Christopher asked as if he was worried for her sanity. "Milady, your presence alone makes me feel like God Himself blessed me with His own hand. You mean so incredibly much to me... I've prayed every day for your health, and thanked anyone in Heaven who will listen for giving me the chance to know you."

He pressed a light kiss to her temple and whispered, "Don't doubt your worth to me or anyone else here... you're worth the moon and the stars and beyond to us all and we're indebted to you for your incredible heart and will. If not for looking forward to seeing you again, I would've died on the battlefield. If not for you, the Ghis name would be nothing but a memory and Norway might've taken Scotland and Britannia. You're worth so much milady..."

“Thank you, Christopher.” Kayla said softly, pressing her lips to his cheek before she simply went quiet and rested against his shoulder.

It seemed like an eternity before her belly rumbled, announcing to the both of them that she hadn’t eaten in quite some time. She blushed, looking up at her handsome captain as she gained the courage to ask him for what she wanted.

“Would you care to dine with me?” She asked him softly, taking that first small step to healing.

"It would be a privilege and an honor," Christopher nodded. "Would you like me to take you to the hall or shall I have a small table set up for us here in your room?" He knew she might not be ready to go out.

As much as she wanted to be strong, Kayla visibly paled at the thought of having to go into the great hall for the meal. She shook her head no, her black hair swirling around her shoulders before she spoke.

“I would like to eat here, please.” She said softly, struggling to relax after his simple suggestion. “Even just being around my family is a little too much.”

"That's just fine, milady." He gave her a kind smile and let her go, rising from her side. "I'll be right back then." He glanced to Ballas, who would keep her company faithfully.

Kayla settled back against her pillows with a low sigh as Christopher left the room, Ballas immediately taking his spot. She stroked his soft fur, leaning forward to kiss his wide brow.

“I’m very happy to see you too, Ballas.” She said softly, looking into his soulful eyes. “I need you to let Ash know that I’ll be alright, cause I will…even if I don’t believe that myself right now.”

Ballas sighed heavily as he made himself comfortable beside her. He kept his head up, but his eyes closed and a peaceful expression settled onto his handsome face like a content housecat. It was his way of showing her that he agreed she'd be alright.

Kayla actually smiled them, a true smile crossing her lips even if it was rather small. She stroked Balla’s head, admiring the strong beast who was more like a housecat to her than an actual bloodthirsty tiger.

“Do you like your new mistress?” Kayla asked him, still a little shocked that Ashien would have married without telling anyone…included her. “I’m rather mad at my twin brother for not mentioning the event to me.”

His ears perked forward with interest at the word 'mistress'. He knew the word well, though Ashien often told him to 'go find Ma' and he'd scamper off to Dylandra. His eyes opened, and he looked around to see if Dylandra was actually there. Once he saw she wasn't, he looked back at Kayla questioningly.

Kayla chuckled softly, leaning forward to kiss his broad nose. “Go on, you old brute. Go be with her. I’ll be fine.” She promised the tiger.

Ballas didn't budge at all, he wouldn't leave her all on her own. He pressed his nose into her cheek, copying how he'd seen humans kiss another's cheek. When Christopher returned with a could serving maids to set up the small table and meal, Ballas left with the serving maids now that he knew Kayla wouldn't be alone.

When Christopher returned, Kayla let out a sigh of relief. He was a welcome sight, not overbearing like her well meaning family. He didn’t ask questions and didn’t look at her with a gaze that told her that he pitied her. She held out her arms to him, gasping as he swept her into his embrace easily. The only time she cried out in pain was when he slowly sat her on the hard kitchen chair before the fire. Her poor bruised body hadn’t been expecting it.

“I’m alright.” She said quickly, looking up into his eyes with a look that told him that she truly was alright.

Even though he could see she was telling the truth, Christopher still took extra care with her. They ate quietly with talk of Ireland between them, her Captain hoping that one day in the not too-distant future, he could take her there again. The last time she'd seen it was just far too long ago.

“I remember the keep and the beautiful green hills.” Kayla said as they spoke of Ireland while they dined. “There was also that crystal clear stream that was so much fun to swim in.”

“And I remember your lovely little house in the middle of that glen. I don’t think I’ve seen a more peaceful spot in all my life.”

"There's a small stable next to the house now," Christopher smiled, "I keep a horse and a mule to help me tend the orchard I own now. I think you'd love it, I grow apples for Lord Monaghan and the town." He reached over then, and took her hand.

“You have an orchard now?” Kayla asked, truly surprised that he was turning towards agriculture. She supposed for a warrior it was good to always have a back up plan and as he reached across the table and took her good hand, she felt her heart do the tiniest of flips.

“Christopher…well, I was wondering…in spite of everything that has happened, would you still like to court me?” Kayla blushed red, knowing that her happiness depended on his answer.

"The thought never crossed my mind not to, milady," Christopher answered honestly. "I've looked forward to it every day, hoping you'll still have me... Will you?" His own happiness depended the same on her. The two were incredibly alike in so many ways.

Kayla felt tears prick her eyes as he told her that he would. They were tears of relief and happiness this time and she couldn’t find her voice to say yes. Instead, she nodded, holding out her arms to him to be wrapped up in his safe embrace.

Back