Thoughts on Posting your images here vs "Up Front"

SO...
Now that the erotic art hub seems to be functioning, What do folk think about the situation of this forum vs that "arena"?

As artists, how does the immediacy and "intimacy" of this area compare to the broad exposure and voting/rankings to that area?

I admit that I like to see when scores and favorites go up, over there.
If this area had more interaction, discussion, fawning/fanning LOL - then this would be my hands down (my pants) favorite. Currently (and in most of the past) there has been little of that. So I'll take my "strokes" via votes.

Why else do folk share their work, if not for some sort of validation?

"I create it for myself" is only partially valid, because by posting, one is sharing... don;t we want to know if our "message in a bottle" has reached someone?

View attachment 2298044
I love this drawing….so clever!

I think the original question is being lost.

Now that the erotic art hub seems to be functioning, What do folk think about the situation of this forum vs that "arena"?

As artists, how does the immediacy and "intimacy" of this area* compare to the broad exposure and voting/rankings to that area?

If this area had more interaction, discussion, fawning/fanning LOL - then this would be my hands down (my pants) favorite. Currently (and in most of the past) there has been little of that. So I'll take my "strokes" via votes.

"I create it for myself" is only partially valid, because by posting, one is sharing... don;t we want to know if our "message in a bottle" has reached someone?

* by "this area" I mean this forum, not this specific thread.

I threw the original question off the track by posting a bunch of my drawings for my own selfish reasons.
I still have questions but can’t focus on the answers you would so patiently and clearly give, @THROBBS.
I like the various threads you’ve set up. I will need to ask more questions and get more answers before coming up with an answer. However, even when I do have a grasp on all particulars of a matter, pretty often my answer is, “I don’t know. I can see pros and cons for both sides so I just don’t know. I’ll leave it to the ones with strong opinions to decide.”

I threw the original question off the track by posting a bunch of my drawings for my own selfish reasons.
I still have questions but can’t focus on the answers you would so patiently and clearly give, @THROBBS.
I like the various threads you’ve set up. I will need to ask more questions and get more answers before coming up with an answer. However, even when I do have a grasp on all particulars of a matter, pretty often my answer is, “I don’t know. I can see pros and cons for both sides so I just don’t know. I’ll leave it to the ones with strong opinions to decide.”
One does not have to "decide" this or that, here or there... it can be, as @jaF0 suggested — "why not BOTH!?"

I am curious as to others thoughts on it.

Why do you choose one or the other...or both?
Why didn't you choose...? ( I didn't know about the other, maybe)

Perhaps there can be discussion about suggestions for improvements.

At one time we had "word challenges" here. A word was presented and anyone who wanted could create an image inspired by that word. To keep things lively, a time limit of a week was given. The the organizer collecte dall th eimages on one thread with a poll for voting... for one more week. The winner got to choose the next word.

I left the "up front" behind, though I was the first to post there (in 2010), because it went dormant.

Now that it is "vital" again (a zombie!?), I have resumed posting there.

This forum/area got overrun by stuff I did not care for and, more importantly, the engagement waned.

I have spent a LOT of time & energy on the visual erotic arts aspect of LITerotica and at times I am just exhausted.

Last edited:
One does not have to "decide" this or that, here or there... it can be, as @jaF0 suggested — "why not BOTH!?"

I am curious as to others thoughts on it.

Why do you choose one or the other...or both?
Why didn't you choose...? ( I didn't know about the other, maybe)

Perhaps there can be discussion about suggestions for improvements.

At one time we had "word challenges" here. A word was presented and anyone who wanted could create an image inspired by that word. To keep things lively, a time limit of a week was given. The the organizer collecte dall th eimages on one thread with a poll for voting... for one more week. The winner got to choose the next word.

I left the "up front" behind, though I was the first to post there (in 2010), because it went dormant.

Now that it is "vital" again (a zombie!?), I have resumed posting there.

This forum/area got overrun by stuff I did not care for and, more importantly, the engagement waned.

I have spent a LOT of time & energy on the visual erotic arts aspect of LITerotica and at times I am just exhausted.
You certainly have spent a lot of time trying to pump life into the visual arts arena, and I only know about this recent effort of yours. You are dedicated and clearly spend a lot of your time here. I love the idea of the word challenge and I’d love to do all kinds of word/image/discussion/humor things with people.
There are many things I’d like to do, on Lit, in life, creatively, etc…which I can’t. It’s hard to want to help and participate but not know from minute to minute if a spoon will show up. If one does, then others think”oh! She’s up!” and very reasonably think I’m ready to engage.
Then I’m not.
Like now.
Use up nerves and energy writing this. Thinking I shouldn’t have written it at all because it was a waste of a spoon, so I feel stupid.
It’s also why I don’t volunteer for things, as much as I want to help and not just take in this life. I’m afraid I’ll have to cancel because of anxiety, no energy, some body pain flaring…,

What I mean is, I wish I could help you with the work you’re doing, Throbbs.

Maybe after freaking Christmas is over…

There are many things I’d like to do, on Lit, in life, creatively, etc…which I can’t. It’s hard to want to help and participate but not know from minute to minute if a spoon will show up. If one does, then others think”oh! She’s up!” and very reasonably think I’m ready to engage.
Then I’m not.
Like now.
Use up nerves and energy writing this. Thinking I shouldn’t have written it at all because it was a waste of a spoon, so I feel stupid.
It’s also why I don’t volunteer for things, as much as I want to help and not just take in this life. I’m afraid I’ll have to cancel because of anxiety, no energy, some body pain flaring…,

What I mean is, I wish I could help you with the work you’re doing, Throbbs.

Maybe after freaking Christmas is over…
Don't waste any precious energy!
You've already injected life into the thread, simply by your sky thread and being here.

As artists, how does the immediacy and "intimacy" of this area* compare to the broad exposure and voting/rankings to that area?
As a consumer/viewer, I find the artist threads here to be far more accessible to a body of work than over in the Art Hub.

Here, you can scroll through a portfolio, there's probably more engagement by way of responsive posts, and you can see a dialogue between artist and audience. In a way, it's like walking through a gallery (a long corridor gallery).

Over in the Hub, it's much slower to see the work, it's one at a time. More like turning the page in a very slow book.

If/when I start drawing again, I'd do both - load drawings to my own account page (and therefore appear on the Hub), but also run a thread here. I feel there would be more visibility here (but I've not looked at any numbers to know for sure).

SO...

As artists, how does the immediacy and "intimacy" of this area compare to the broad exposure and voting/rankings to that area?

View attachment 2298044
I like both. I haven’t submitted a story or a piece of art in either their official places recently. I think I’m more inclined to post on my thread, or on one of these threads, because of the immediacy and personal contact. Putting on one of these new art threads is a way of socializing. I still do want to continue submitting stories (I’ve got many but they need to be edited and that seems to be something I can’t summon the power to do. And I don’t want to have someone else edit them because only one person ( my former editor) knows me well enough to maintain my voice and other subtleties) and artwork to see how they rate, but I get more “instant gratification” and a feeling of connecting with other humans in this set-up.

What are folk's thoughts on here vs there ("up front")?

Here, one has immediacy on posting (and deleting), more "intimacy" in interactions, including the possibility of actual discussions.
Much LESS exposure (fewer folk visit here). I reckon the bulk of people on the bulletin board don't even know this forum exists.

There, one gets MANY more views, feedback in the form of voting, favorites and comments.
(I am pretty sure that no one goes back to see if their comments have been responded to.)

It seems that the total number of comments in either place is roughly the same.

There used to be a counter here for number of views that a specific post had. That was a nice metric to have.

I have wondered the same thing. I like the idea of posting them "up front" as you said in the artwork category but there doesn't seem to be much traffic there and the artwork, other than being of an erotic nature doesn't seem to be organized much. Maybe because it doesn't get much traffic being in a writing forum? As it is now, I have two drawings up there, I'd love it if y'all took a peek and let me some comments on what you thought.

I have thought about creating a thread too, but it seems like you would have to constantly update it to keep it near the top where it may be seen my others. I made a thread with one drawing as a test and in a day it was already in page two where few go.

Part of the reason for the holiday and seasonal challenges I'm posting are to help drive traffic. I've mentioned it on the AH and another board. Eventually I'd like @Laurel to post similar challenges on the story side in the same way as the author/story challenges. But we have to get more interest going for it to be worth her time. Kind of self fulfilling I guess. More here, more there. More there, more here.

Me personally, I can't draw a straight line with a straightedge, so I'm just acting as the huckster/barker.

Also note that while you can't post offsite links here, there is no reason at all why you can't post links here to your story/artwork submission pages on Lit. Use the board here as a teaser of sorts if you will so you don't have to keep both in sync.

Part of the reason for the holiday and seasonal challenges I'm posting are to help drive traffic. I've mentioned it on the AH and another board. Eventually I'd like @Laurel to post similar challenges on the story side in the same way as the author/story challenges. But we have to get more interest going for it to be worth her time. Kind of self fulfilling I guess. More here, more there. More there, more here.

Me personally, I can't draw a straight line with a straightedge, so I'm just acting as the huckster/barker.

Also note that while you can't post offsite links here, there is no reason at all why you can't post links here to your story/artwork submission pages on Lit. Use the board here as a teaser of sorts if you will so you don't have to keep both in sync.
So yesterday I posted a drawing on my thread and in two other places, here and one other VA thread. Is that ok to do? I just thought, “hey, why not put it in multiple places where more people might see it?”
Make any sense? I was trying to add life to the threads that THROBBS worked so hard to get going.

So yesterday I posted a drawing on my thread and in two other places, here and one other VA thread. Is that ok to do? I just thought, “hey, why not put it in multiple places where more people might see it?”
Make any sense? I was trying to add life to the threads that THROBBS worked so hard to get going.
You should also create a signature with a link to your lit.com profile so people don't have to search for you.

if you are talking about posting actual stories in the Forum, I wouldn't want that. We have a place for that already. A link to your story or to your author's page would suffice. I think allowing full stories to be posted in the forums would cause too much of a headache for not just the Admins who would have to police those threads but us users who would have to sift through it all. I like reading a story, not the comments that go with it. On here the comments would be right there, and I think a distraction. Disabling comments would defeat the whole purpose of the forum too.

That's just my opinion.

I have wondered the same thing. I like the idea of posting them "up front" as you said in the artwork category but there doesn't seem to be much traffic there and the artwork, other than being of an erotic nature doesn't seem to be organized much. Maybe because it doesn't get much traffic being in a writing forum? As it is now, I have two drawings up there, I'd love it if y'all took a peek and let me some comments on what you thought.

I have thought about creating a thread too, but it seems like you would have to constantly update it to keep it near the top where it may be seen my others. I made a thread with one drawing as a test and in a day it was already in page two where few go.
I just looked at your drawings and commented and rated…very nice!
What I’ve been doing is posting on my thread mostly everyday, but that’s just because it’s fun for me to do. I submit some drawings for publication in Artworks…ones that I think arre maybe better than my others, or have the presence to stand alone. I do like to add bits of text with my published artwork, partly because it enhances the excitement of the drawing and because I’m a word and image lover.
Then there are these other threads which THROBBS ( away on vacay) started to try to get the artists here to come together as a community. He was right, I think, in saying that unlike the authors, we artists tend to isolate.

Back