Third Person / First Person / Third Person

I just had a story with this structure published (A Holiday Wish). The middle first person section is a flashback and I wanted to both differentiate it (think black and white vs color in Oppenheimer) and to make this section more personal.

It was an intentional choice but I know such things can be jarring, if not handled well (and I and no master writer). I wasn’t after feedback on my execution (though of course that’s also welcome 😬), more on the general concept.

Have you ever done anything like this?

Em

Yes I did this once on a flashback sequence (main character was telling another character a story of her past). In 2 long chapters I don’t think anyone commented on the change in perspective so I don’t think it’s jarring. I love first person even though I usually write third out of habit.

Juliet E. McKenna mixes first and third person in her series The Tales of the Einarinn. She seems to have abandoned the style in her later books, but even so, it worked well enough to make her an established name in the fantasy genre.

I've definitely encountered novels which did this where the choice seemed more justified based on what it did for the story.

They probably also included some measure of the "intensity and intimacy with the 1p protagonist narrator" which keeps being propped up as the main benefit of 1p pov.

This is rare, but a couple of them may have also included something of the frame I've been referring to - something in the manuscript, in the storytelling, which reveals what the circumstances of the act of narrating are and the circumstances of us being in a position to hear or read it.

Specific titles aren't coming to mind right now but I'll ponder it and if they come to me I'll drop them in.
Thank you.

Em

My Arthurian myth yarn alternates sequences told in first person by Maerlyn, who is spectacularly unreliable as a narrator on account of his considerable age and far too many people to remember, coupled with the fact that he's trying to remember everything whilst he's trapped in Nymue's tree, decades after the main events. When he can't remember the specifics, he makes shit up, if he's not too addled by magick.

Those sequences alternate with a more coherent third person narrator who at least keeps their eye on the ball.

Maerlyn was the most fun of any character of mine to write, because he did whatever he wanted to do, and there was no-one to stop him. I'm surprised I made it to the end, frankly.

My Arthurian myth yarn alternates sequences told in first person by Maerlyn, who is spectacularly unreliable as a narrator on account of his considerable age and far too many people to remember, coupled with the fact that he's trying to remember everything whilst he's trapped in Nymue's tree, decades after the main events. When he can't remember the specifics, he makes shit up, if he's not too addled by magick.

Those sequences alternate with a more coherent third person narrator who at least keeps their eye on the ball.

Maerlyn was the most fun of any character of mine to write, because he did whatever he wanted to do, and there was no-one to stop him. I'm surprised I made it to the end, frankly.
So no aging backwards then?

I just had a story with this structure published (A Holiday Wish). The middle first person section is a flashback and I wanted to both differentiate it (think black and white vs color in Oppenheimer) and to make this section more personal.

It was an intentional choice but I know such things can be jarring, if not handled well (and I and no master writer). I wasn’t after feedback on my execution (though of course that’s also welcome 😬), more on the general concept.

Have you ever done anything like this?

Em
I noticed the change in feel when I read that. It was subtle, but it worked well in that. At no point did I say, "woa, she screwed that up!" It seemed obviously to be a decision of style, so good job!

It is fun to play with point of view. We have a huge toolbox to play with, and it stretches you to find out how. Except second person. Unless it is a "how to" article, second person is hard to pull off without sounding creepy, or at least creepily intimate. (Is "creepily" a word?) If it is the vibe you are going for, I suppose it works, but that is seldom the vibe I am going for.

I noticed the change in feel when I read that. It was subtle, but it worked well in that. At no point did I say, "woa, she screwed that up!" It seemed obviously to be a decision of style, so good job!

It is fun to play with point of view. We have a huge toolbox to play with, and it stretches you to find out how. Except second person. Unless it is a "how to" article, second person is hard to pull off without sounding creepy, or at least creepily intimate. (Is "creepily" a word?) If it is the vibe you are going for, I suppose it works, but that is seldom the vibe I am going for.
I had a literature professor who said second person point of view doesn't exist. What we call second person POV is just a third person narrator telling the reader what the narrator thinks the reader should/would do. 😉🤷‍♀️

As for the original question asked, I have no problem (as a reader) with shifting points of view as long as it is clear when it shifts. Too many author here seem to use third person limited omniscient but then switch the POV character on a whim, even within one sentence, rather than employ a fully omniscient narrator. For me, that is more jarring than switching between 3rd and 1st with clear demarcations.

I can't say much as an author, as I've only been brave enough to post one story. But one of my unposted stories does switch between 3rd person (the guy) and 1st person (the woman). Maybe I'll be brave enough to post it someday. 🙄

I would argue with your literature professor that when you are telling them what to do, rather than what they are should do, it isn't the same at all. But I argued with all of my lit profs. :)

Thanks for the helpful and encouraging feedback 😊.

Em

Back