The Stranger (Closed for heartofcourage)

"No and I thought I might be heading home before too much longer." Jen said as she took the cup of coffee that was offered. "I can't even start to tell you the last time I was at home for any length of time."

"Demands of the spotlight."

He gave her shoulder a reassuring pat.

"Remember that first time we met? That was the last time I had seen my house. I can't even call it a home anymore, other people live in it and look after it. I just drop by when I can to see if it still stands."

He gave her a smile and motioned around them

"But then again, my work is slightly less strenuous than yours."

"They don't know that I'm taking a long break after this. It might ruin my career, but I'm tired. I want to stay at home and be a nobody for a while. I want to travel wherever I want and whenever I want." Jen confessed, looking at Dave as he mentioned that he didn't really have much of a home either. "You could come with me...if you wanted, of course."

He gave her a smile, it was an offer only a mad man would decline.

"Well the animals were here when I started, I am sure that they can survive an extended leave. I will appreciate the chance to see more of the world."

He nodded towards the gear he had sat ready, "And tonight you can sleep under the stars. I'll wait for you to finish up, the shower water is just the right temperature."

"Well, hopefully everything doesn't go to hell by the time you get back if you do end up coming with me." Jen said with a grin as he told her to go shower before they set out for their next adventure. "I'll be ready in five minutes."

Fifteen minutes later, she was back, freshly showered and ready to go with him wherever he wanted to take her.

During the time that Jen showered and dressed, Dave had explained that he would be out of camp for the evening, but not too far away. He gave the producer general directions, explained how everything worked and that he will be back before sunrise to get everything ready for the next day. He omitted that Jen would be going with him, telling him and the other heads that it was all about checking that no dangerous animals were prowling nearby and that he didn't want to wake people when he returned.

When Jen showed up, he picked up the backpack and tote bag, "Looking all fresh and clean, let's go before it gets too dark."

"Lead the way." Jen said with a wide smile on her face, enjoying the chance to go on an adventure that she would never have normally had been able to experience.

Dave led the way, after a few minutes of walking, they came to a tree.

"Here we are."

He looked up at the stars and smiled, "Much better without all the lights about."

Opening the tote bag, he started to set up a stretcher, "I hope you don't mind, I took the liberty of bringing your bedding along."

He looked up at her as he set the last peg in place and got to his feet, taking her bedding from inside the bag and placing it on the stretcher.

"Trust me, you won't find anything like this where I come from." Jen said, looking up at the wide expanse of stars above them while Dave got their bedding set up. "Well, if I had known that this was all full service, I would have come years ago. Usually hotels that set up your bedding and provide you with a guide are too stuffy for me."

"Well that is funny, seeing that most people see me as stuffy because I hardly spend any time among people. Always somewhere in the field, doing my work and of course studying the animals and their adaption to their changing habitat."

He moved away and started setting up his own bed, "It must be strange traveling around, spending so much time among a lot of strangers and meeting new people almost every day."

"It's not ideal, no, but I've seen the world because of my job. That's been the nice part. That and being comfortably wealthy, I guess. Still, I think more and more about retiring so that I can start setting down some roots." Jen said, watching him as he worked. "It's been a long time since I stayed in one place for very long."

He placed his bedding on the stretcher and from his kneeling position, he looked up at her. "Well I think that you should do that. You are definitely more than what they say about you on that web page, nobody commented on you as person. And from what I have gotten to know and work with, I think the whole world is a sadder place for not knowing the real you at all."

Back