The SCOURIES reader – for both fans and serious scholars…

Status
Not open for further replies.
…I know exactly where she is…

To those of you concerned about the disappearance of the woman known as cloudy please, do not fear.

Unlike her little friend miss jenny, who is taking the ScouriesCure by correspondence over the Internet (but who later of course will need a couple of intensive in-hospital weeks), miss cloudy decided to check herself in right from the start and is now ensconced in a lovely room in the ScouriesTower of the ScouriesMedicalCenter overlooking South Beach.

And I might add that after just a couple of days here she is showing remarkable improvement! In fact her mental outlook has shown such a radical change for the better that she is now musing about also augmenting her physical attributes in our surgical wing while she’s here.

It is now our hope and belief that within weeks miss c will be back home, merrily back at her computer posting away, perhaps typing just a tad slower as she adjusts to her much larger breastworks.

But the tone of her posts will be different….a new, modern, with it, optimistic, heterosexual, obedient woman is being crafted as you read…soon when you click open her FAVORITE AUTHORS list you may just find scouries listed…

jrs
You are a miserable little prick, aren't you. You deserve nothing a fist down your throat and piss down your leg.

Do you understand the meaning of the word contemptible? You are the walking definition.

scouries;26951318It is now our hope and belief that within weeks [b said:
miss c[/b] will be back home, merrily back at her computer posting away, perhaps typing just a tad slower as she adjusts to her much larger breastworks.

Nope. Chances are this is just the well-worn "rally around me" Internet game. You have a big blowout with another poster on the board; someone posts that you are being a bit abusive and that everyone doesn't back you in slambanging the one you are chomping on. You state on the thread that everyone but that one naysayer (and the one you are slambanging) supports you. No one else weighs in for a couple of hours. So, you declare it's time for you to go, start pulling your posts (and maybe even your stories, as happened here earlier this year), and, as planned, a thread opens up to give testimonials on how the forum can't live without you. And then you triumphantly return. It's a set Internet game pattern.

I amaze myself at how little I know about computers. Thanks for the info.

I suppose you guys are right about the money also, and the amounts are probably about right too. Enough to catch your interest but not enough to encourage too much skullduggery.

No David, I don't think the money is an issue, the kudos of a blue W is more than a token.

Internet voting is a nightmare. About the only way you can work is only allowing one vote from a single IP. All others get swept. So if I vote 3 for your fabulous Earth Day Story before my SO votes 5, his vote gets swept.

There is no way to ban contestants voting. You can't disable an IP - it's not linked to an account. You want as many votes - anonymous or not - and blocking an author's login is circumvented by setting up an alias.

Someone mentions he's a bit abusive, so he proves they're absolutely correct.

(eta) ah, I missed that thread, well it's a social mechanism that happens sometimes. Yes, she does get abusive, but she is also supportive-- and her positives outweigh her negatives,, by about a metric ton.

It seems to surprise you, when people show signs of friendship and attachment here. It's been going on this way for a very long time, and not only on this forum, but many others all over the internet-- and, as happens on many other forums, many of the regulars here have met face-to-face. This can certainly firm up a sense of bonding.

Last edited:
No David, I don't think the money is an issue, the kudos of a blue W is more than a token.

Internet voting is a nightmare. About the only way you can work is only allowing one vote from a single IP. All others get swept. So if I vote 3 for your fabulous Earth Day Story before my SO votes 5, his vote gets swept.

There is no way to ban contestants voting. You can't disable an IP - it's not linked to an account. You want as many votes - anonymous or not - and blocking an author's login is circumvented by setting up an alias.

On another topic, does anyone beside me suspect that the system is sweeping all "1" votes (and maybe even "2" votes) now? I have stories that have had a single "1" vote (caught by checking votes close enough that it was obvious there's been a single "1" vote in the interim) and that vote is subsequently swept. This can't be an instance of double voting. The only other explanation is that some identifiable voters are having at least their "1" votes swept away every time. That's certainly nice for the author's ratings, but isn't that unfairly disenfranchising and negating the established voting system that acknowledges the right of voting "1"?

(eta) ah, I missed that thread, well it's a social mechanism that happens sometimes. Yes, she does get abusive, but she is also supportive-- and her positives outweigh her negatives,, by about a metric ton.

It seems to surprise you, when people show signs of friendship and attachment here. It's been going on this way for a very long time, and not only on this forum, but many others all over the internet-- and, as happens on many other forums, many of the regulars here have met face-to-face. This can certainly firm up a sense of bonding.

I presume this was addressed to me. I wasn't speaking of the legitimacy/illegitimacy of bonding (or even of combining to attack another). I was saying this "It's time for me to leave" activity is a standard Internet game. We saw exactly the same pattern earlier this year--where stories, not just postings, were withdrawn in a power play. So, not to worry.

P.S.: Were you a bit too quick to make an assumption and react, Stella? You won't find a single posting by me on the thread at the foundation of all of this.

Last edited:

The grammar could be better but I buy the emotion and agree two thousand percent.

The reasons that made me join were the tablets from the Gods, like Cloudy, Rumple, KillerM, Whisper and a host of others.

The support I got when I joined made me stay, it is better than most story sites, and I am really upset about how so many feisty but friendly souls are being forced out by voracious cancers like scouries and BFW. Can no-one respect the raison d'être?

MOONMAN QUOTE Generally, Romance stories are better written pieces with a lot more thought going into the story. The writer of romance has to hold the reader with quality writing, and a quality plot.

Usually Brian you make halfway intelligent comments. Not this time! Romance stories=quality writing? What planet have you been on lately?

To believe that ROMANTIC CATEGORY stories are somehow better written than stories from other categories is simply idiocy. Utter bullshit!

The fact of the matter is that certain categories deliver higher average scores than other categories irrespective of quality (Sci-Fi, Romance, Novels are the highest). This is the product of the different reading audience for each category and the way they score stories. One could argue quite easily that in fact ROMANCE readers here on LITEROTICA are the least discerning group of readers here.

There is a bell curve of scores for every category – the ROMANCE curve is simply the one with the highest median and average scores. Romance readers are the least critical of our reading groups, and quite frankly the least demanding. They’ll score just about any story highly.

As a quick example: How many times have you read a post in AHLand something like the following – “I never vote under ‘4’; if I don’t feel I can give the story a ‘4’ or a ‘5’ I don’t vote at all”. I’ll bet I’ve read that sentiment expressed 100 times over the last couple of years. It’s an attitude that pervades the scoring of ROMANCE stories and which of course leads to higher average scores than for other categories (i.e. LOVING WIVES) where our readers are more critical.

Don’t believe me? Well I challenge you to try it then. Write a story (perhaps a husband-wife cheating story with a happy ending) and then give it two different titles and enter one as a ROMANCE story and one as a LOVING WIFE story under two different and new LITEROTICA names. I’m quite prepared to bet any amount you’d like to specify that the ROMANCE story will have a higher rating. Anywhere from 0.2 to 0.8 higher. For the same story!

The funny thing is that the lower rated story, the LOVING WIVES one (with no chance of winning a contest), will almost surely have more ‘views’ and ‘comments’ than the higher rated ROMANCE one.

The irony is, as I pointed out in a post quite a while ago, that ROMANCE category stories in many ways are the laughing stock of serious publishers and critiques. ROMANCE authors are generally regarded with derision by serious writers. Not in AHland!

Jim

p.s. did you really describe my post as a “rambling missive” in your post #2468?

Jim,

Yes, while Romance authors may be regarded with derision by serious writers in the publishing world, they're the ones making a good living at writing.

I didn't say all Romance stories at Lit were superior to other categories, you made that stretch all on your own. What I said was that in Romance the writer has to rely on strength of plot, and sthrength of characters to make their story work.

And one could argue that SciFi, and Romance readers are the ones in search of a story and not just a quick wank.

I agree with you on the point that stories tend to score higher in Romance than in some of the other categories.

As far as contests go, I would like to see a seperate category for contest entries, I think that would level out the playing field somewhat.

I presume this was addressed to me. I wasn't speaking of the legitimacy/illegitimacy of bonding (or even of combining to attack another). I was saying this "It's time for me to leave" activity is a standard Internet game. We saw exactly the same pattern earlier this year--where stories, not just postings, were withdrawn in a power play. So, not to worry.
yes, I've seen that game played out time and again, but it's not only on the internet, it's common wherever groups gather-- clubs, bars, softball fields... Even so, and even though the mechanism looks the same, it is different each time, because the people are different-- Cloudy and Danielle are very different people, and I don't want Cloudy to leave permanently, for instance, but I'm not very involved with Danielle.;)

Regarding romance scores, this has just occurred to me;

Romances are designed to engage the reader, if the reader happens to be wired that way. A good erotic romance not only gets you off, but it satisfies sentiment and emotion as well. That's why romance submissions tend to get higher scores. A fan ends the story with a sense of happiness, along with the afterglow of the wank. It's a double-barrelled blast.

Romances are designed to engage the reader, if the reader happens to be wired that way. A good erotic romance not only gets you off, but it satisfies sentiment and emotion as well. That's why romance submissions tend to get higher scores. A fan ends the story with a sense of happiness, along with the afterglow of the wank. It's a double-barrelled blast.

I agree. Romance and Incest both meet reader needs. What I didn't agree with was the there is a link between category and "better writing."

cats? pussies? shaven pussies?

MISS JENNY QUOTE POST #2531 I doubt he would lie about romping on the beach, Dark. However, it may be quite a small beach. Just about the same size as the catbox under the bathroom sink. :rolleyes:

Did ANYONE else notice how much miss jenny’s posts have improved? And after just ten days following our in-home, over-the-Internet ScouriesCure. How she threw in a little humor this time, a friendly tease? Her attitude is definitely changing…improving.

Our big fear as we work on miss j’s cure is that we don’t go too far, too fast. Our goal is definitely not to produce just another ‘scouries groupie’ but instead to simply bring out the kind, wonderful, intelligent person that lurks somewhere below the surface.

As to the beach: It actually was a relatively small beach as beaches go. Certainly when compared to Miami Beach. It was maybe a twenty-five yard long sandy arc on a Florida Key, with the gentle waves lapping on its shore.

There is a “cat” connection though. I believe miss j may have misheard when she overheard something I said which might explain her ‘catbox’ quote.

While discussing the progress of her “cure” with her over the boat phone, I believe I did mention that there was “naked pussy” from one end of the beach to the other. I guess the poor innocent thought I was talking about pets!

jrs

Is this an emotional management issue?

MISS JENNY QUOTE POST #2531 I doubt he would lie about romping on the beach, Dark. However, it may be quite a small beach. Just about the same size as the catbox under the bathroom sink. :rolleyes:

Did ANYONE else notice how much miss jenny’s posts have improved? And after just ten days following our in-home, over-the-Internet ScouriesCure. How she threw in a little humor this time, a friendly tease? Her attitude is definitely changing…improving.

Our big fear as we work on miss j’s cure is that we don’t go too far, too fast. Our goal is definitely not to produce just another ‘scouries groupie’ but instead to simply bring out the kind, wonderful, intelligent person that lurks somewhere below the surface.

As to the beach: It actually was a relatively small beach as beaches go. Certainly when compared to Miami Beach. It was maybe a twenty-five yard long sandy arc on a Florida Key, with the gentle waves lapping on its shore.

There is a “cat” connection though. I believe miss j may have misheard when she overheard something I said which might explain her ‘catbox’ quote.

While discussing the progress of her “cure” with her over the boat phone, I believe I did mention that there was “naked pussy” from one end of the beach to the other. I guess the poor innocent thought I was talking about pets!

jrs
These posts of yours are not funny in any way. They show you up as an oinker of the first (sewage) water.

interesting

There's no doubt that much of what has been said about which categories have more generous voting is right there in the numbers, but there seems to be a rather large leap of faith regarding the Loving Wives readers somehow being more discerning that readers in more mainstream or popular categories because the scores are lower. That's reaching.

Loving Wives is a minefield. It doesn't matter what you write there in terms of quality. For many of the readers there, they seem oblivious to the existence of a storyline and could care less about anything remotely resembling proper grammar. You get votes depending on how much revenge is doled out to the cheating wife.

It's fun to write in that category just for the reaction and the way over-the-top feedback. I just don't see how being angry and lashing out at the world makes one a more discerning reader.

Trying to figure out the "logic" behind anything scouries says without taking large doses of hallucinogenics is a monumental waste of time.

In scouries' mind, a view is a "sale", and therefore represents money, and is therefore a mark of quality. After all, who would pay for something that was crap? Therefore, more views = greater quality.

That's just the tip of the looney iceburg :p

Trying to figure out the "logic" behind anything scouries says without taking large doses of hallucinogenics is a monumental waste of time.

In scouries' mind, a view is a "sale", and therefore represents money, and is therefore a mark of quality. After all, who would pay for something that was crap? Therefore, more views = greater quality.

That's just the tip of the looney iceburg :p
Those numbers don't represent "views" either-- as we've explained time and again. They are hits-- a momoent when some one or some thing has clicked onto that page. Some thing is an accurate word; the internet is full of little insects called "bots" or "spiders" that continually and mindlessly ramble the websites, going from link to link. These bots stay for a micro second, send back info "yes, this link works" and departs-- but that microsecond is enough for the database to register its visit. And Manu has chosen to describe these blinks as "views" because once again, the effort of telling them apart from real readers' clicks is too expensive.

This is why the views are sometimes so very outrageous compared to the votes-- not only is the percentage of voters to lurkers small, but the percentage of bots to viewers is sometimes enormously disproportionate. But the numbers look good, right? encouraging... ;)

yes, I've seen that game played out time and again, but it's not only on the internet, it's common wherever groups gather-- clubs, bars, softball fields... Even so, and even though the mechanism looks the same, it is different each time, because the people are different-- Cloudy and Danielle are very different people, and I don't want Cloudy to leave permanently, for instance, but I'm not very involved with Danielle.;)

Aww, Stella you know I hold you in the deepest respect. Cloudy and I don't get along but I hate to see anyone get to the point that I was when I left. People might think it was a power play, I didn't ask for anything to come back. I just remembered how much I enjoyed the fans I had here as well as the opportunity for growth. It's people like scouries that needs to learn a little tact and a lot of respect for others.

Those numbers don't represent "views" either-- as we've explained time and again. They are hits-- a momoent when some one or some thing has clicked onto that page. Some thing is an accurate word; the internet is full of little insects called "bots" or "spiders" that continually and mindlessly ramble the websites, going from link to link. These bots stay for a micro second, send back info "yes, this link works" and departs-- but that microsecond is enough for the database to register its visit. And Manu has chosen to describe these blinks as "views" because once again, the effort of telling them apart from real readers' clicks is too expensive.

This is why the views are sometimes so very outrageous compared to the votes-- not only is the percentage of voters to lurkers small, but the percentage of bots to viewers is sometimes enormously disproportionate. But the numbers look good, right? encouraging... ;)
The last time I clicked on a Scouries story was when my dog walked across my keyboard and hit the mouse. I scolded him and used a rolled up newpaper on his nose. He won't do it again.

Aww, Stella you know I hold you in the deepest respect. Cloudy and I don't get along but I hate to see anyone get to the point that I was when I left. People might think it was a power play, I didn't ask for anything to come back. I just remembered how much I enjoyed the fans I had here as well as the opportunity for growth. It's people like scouries that needs to learn a little tact and a lot of respect for others.
Yes, and what he needs-- he probably will never have. :rolleyes:

It probably did look as if i were "picking a side" and I am sorry for that! My point was that you each are very different persons-- and although your actions are similar in this case, you each made your decisions seperately, and the board might beg each of you to come back-- but we do so seperately:D

And that people leave and come back in all kinds of venues, not only the internet.

I didn't think you were chosing sides, it's as you said, you don't know me very well. I'm not on the board much, most of my time online is spent writing. I'm working to go mainstream some day. I don't know Cloudy and I refuse to let things that were said bother me anymore.

MOONMAN QUOTE Generally, Romance stories are better written pieces with a lot more thought going into the story. The writer of romance has to hold the reader with quality writing, and a quality plot.

Usually Brian you make halfway intelligent comments. Not this time! Romance stories=quality writing? What planet have you been on lately?

To believe that ROMANTIC CATEGORY stories are somehow better written than stories from other categories is simply idiocy. Utter bullshit!

The fact of the matter is that certain categories deliver higher average scores than other categories irrespective of quality (Sci-Fi, Romance, Novels are the highest). This is the product of the different reading audience for each category and the way they score stories. One could argue quite easily that in fact ROMANCE readers here on LITEROTICA are the least discerning group of readers here.

There is a bell curve of scores for every category – the ROMANCE curve is simply the one with the highest median and average scores. Romance readers are the least critical of our reading groups, and quite frankly the least demanding. They’ll score just about any story highly.

As a quick example: How many times have you read a post in AHLand something like the following – “I never vote under ‘4’; if I don’t feel I can give the story a ‘4’ or a ‘5’ I don’t vote at all”. I’ll bet I’ve read that sentiment expressed 100 times over the last couple of years. It’s an attitude that pervades the scoring of ROMANCE stories and which of course leads to higher average scores than for other categories (i.e. LOVING WIVES) where our readers are more critical.

Don’t believe me? Well I challenge you to try it then. Write a story (perhaps a husband-wife cheating story with a happy ending) and then give it two different titles and enter one as a ROMANCE story and one as a LOVING WIFE story under two different and new LITEROTICA names. I’m quite prepared to bet any amount you’d like to specify that the ROMANCE story will have a higher rating. Anywhere from 0.2 to 0.8 higher. For the same story!

The funny thing is that the lower rated story, the LOVING WIVES one (with no chance of winning a contest), will almost surely have more ‘views’ and ‘comments’ than the higher rated ROMANCE one.

The irony is, as I pointed out in a post quite a while ago, that ROMANCE category stories in many ways are the laughing stock of serious publishers and critiques. ROMANCE authors are generally regarded with derision by serious writers. Not in AHland!

Jim

p.s. did you really describe my post as a “rambling missive” in your post #2468?
Once again, Jim, I find myself nodding and agreeing with much of what you wrote here. Romance stories here range from well-written to bloody awful, just as in any other category. It's the readers that are more forgiving.

And the very nature of the Romance category helps - people finish reading a Romance story feeling all warm and fuzzy, and give a warm and fuzzy vote to go with it.

The "If I can't vote 4 or 5" brigade annoy the piss out of me. They are also the ones that bitch about lousy stories having high scores. Of course they'll have high scores if you don't vote! Every author here has fans who will high vote anything they write.

If you are not prepared to vote on merit - and there are stories that merit 1s 2s and 3s here, lots of 'em - DON'T VOTE AT ALL.

…I know exactly where she is…

To those of you concerned about the disappearance of the woman known as cloudy please, do not fear.

Unlike her little friend miss jenny, who is taking the ScouriesCure by correspondence over the Internet (but who later of course will need a couple of intensive in-hospital weeks), miss cloudy decided to check herself in right from the start and is now ensconced in a lovely room in the ScouriesTower of the ScouriesMedicalCenter overlooking South Beach.

And I might add that after just a couple of days here she is showing remarkable improvement! In fact her mental outlook has shown such a radical change for the better that she is now musing about also augmenting her physical attributes in our surgical wing while she’s here.

It is now our hope and belief that within weeks miss c will be back home, merrily back at her computer posting away, perhaps typing just a tad slower as she adjusts to her much larger breastworks.

But the tone of her posts will be different….a new, modern, with it, optimistic, heterosexual, obedient woman is being crafted as you read…soon when you click open her FAVORITE AUTHORS list you may just find scouries listed…

jrs

And then you have to go and prove what a monumental deadshit you can be. Nice going, mate. It's always such a buzz to attack someone when they're not here to defend themselves isn't it?

I didn't think you were chosing sides, it's as you said, you don't know me very well. I'm not on the board much, most of my time online is spent writing. I'm working to go mainstream some day. I don't know Cloudy and I refuse to let things that were said bother me anymore.
It would be lovely to read a post of yours without the barb in the tail. But I'm not holding my breath.

DK QUOTE The last time I clicked on a Scouries story was when my dog walked across my keyboard and hit the mouse. I scolded him and used a rolled up newpaper on his nose. He won't do it again

Good god woman! That was harsh! Even from a “stalker” and former “scouries groupie”. I did notice you put out a LW story today. I wonder why? Don’t worry, I won’t tell…

jrs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back