The Opening Act (Reserved)

ERedBoyd

It's all in ur head
Under the thundering applause of the 17,000 fans in the coliseum, Scott Jameson raised his hands in the devil's horns and screamed out, "HOW BOUT THAT GAL, LADIES AND GENTS!!!! ONE MORE BIG ROUND for the sweetheart of rock, the hottie with the body... MONA STEELE!!!!"

The crowd went absolutely crazy once more as Scott took Mona's hand and lifted it into the air once more for a standing ovation!!! He leaned in and said just to her, "Listen to that sound darlin! Absorb it! You are going to be a mega star!"

He gently let her hand go and his opening act gave once more delicious body teasing her young supple hottie of a body before her and her girls of her band turned and left the stage for the main performance!

He gave her one more glance as she looked back at him and smiled and nodded. He remembered when her publicity manager came to him practically begging him for the opportunity to put her as his opening act... He had been one of 50 up and coming stars who wanted that spot and it was her that got it. Not because of the manager, but because of her voice. She had one of the most unique and angelic voices he had ever heard in his life... he was going to whatever he had to, to make her more famous than Beyonce!

Scott turned his eyes towards his audience and screamed out once more, "ARE YOU READY?!?!?!"

The crowd went insane!!!!

~~ 4 hours later ~~

"THANK YOU!!!!! THANK YOU EVERYONE! GOD BLESS YOU ALL!!!" Scott gave once last bow as the curtains closed before him. He handed off his guitar and then lit up a cigar and picked up a bottle of scotch as he left the stage!

His manager, Devon Walden, walked saying, "Another amazing show! You have them by the heart strings!!! Your afterparty is right this way!!! Come on!"

My heart was pounding. I needed to calm down. I was getting in my head, reminding myself that it’s just an opener, it’s not like they’re actually here for you. Wow, stage fright is a weird thing to combat when you’ve literally made performing for packed stadiums your career. It didn’t start out like this though, me and my band, my baby, Wilt, we started in a garage. Of course, shortly getting kicked out of this garage by our drummer, Alice’s mom. Our band got recognized on social media and our gigs went from local restaurants to community event centers to touring around our state, to headlining a Scott Jameson concert. I honestly couldn’t believe it, I have loved this man’s music for years, I didn’t even know he knew I existed until my manager called saying he got me a spot headlining for him. I couldn’t believe it, I can’t believe it, but I think I better start to believe it because I go on in 5…4…3…2…

“Hey everyone!! How are we doing tonight?!”

The massive crowd’s cheer was deafening. “That’s great!! Do you know who I am?!?”

The cheers didn’t rest, “I’m Mona and this is WILT!!” “Now if it’s okay with yall, we’re gonna play some rock!” The stadium roaring, anticipation filling the stands. “This first ones called Rose Blood!!”
….
My heart was pounding, it was over before I knew it. I made it back stage, set my stuff down and went back to watch the show we were all here for. Scott’s talent took effect on my mind and body, he took his art seriously, I could see his passion illuminate the whole stadium. I couldn’t help but get goosebumps when he performed, I had been secretly fan girling the whole time.
….
After the show, our band received an invitation to Scott’s after party. This past month had been an absolute whirlwind of events, and now we’re not only performing for one of rock’s biggest names, we’re going to his after party? Wow.

As the lead singer of Jameson, I walked back out the back of the stage towards a series of tunnels. Along with me was Monika Heath, my keyboardist and support singer, Darryl Heath, Monika's husband and drummer, Chad Lockard my bass guitarist. The concert had been one of the largest audiences I had ever performed for, short of my Super Bowl Half Time Show and the New Year's Day across America concert. I should have been feeling on top of the world! I really should have! So why wasn't I?

"THERE HE IS!!!" screaming fans yelled at me as I walked past with the rest of my crew! I remember a time where all those cheering fans actually excited me. I remember my heart stopping feelings when I had hands reaching to my boot just so they could say they had touched me back home. But, after nearly 20 years on the road performing in every state and nearly every country in the world, the excitement had become lost to me.

However, I am a performer so I raised my bottle and did my thing... the devil horns and tongue roll out which made the days of nearly 50 fans in that one gesture alone. Now it was off to the afterparty. These had also used to be fun too... a place where the rich and powerful got some 'one on one' time with us so they could have their bragging rights and signed swag. It also used to be the place I could pick from thousands of drooling screaming road groupies to fuck. I had fucked so many, three ways, gang bangs, trains... though all of that had been in the earlier days of my career. That kind of stuff stopped interesting me as much. Ever since my encounter with Liza who I had thought had been the and got crushed by.

Now, I don't give a shit anymore about whether or not people saw me and I had little interest in the faceless titties and asses. I just wanted to perform my show and return to my bus. Yet there was always the afterparties I had to go to.

The afterparty was taking place in a large conference room area and held hundreds of premium guests who once again began to scream and cheer when I walked in. I smiled and did my usual thing and spent the next hour doing photo ops with the fans. Unfortunately, even these parties lost their glamor and while the rest of my crew continued to party on, I would slipped out through the back and headed back to my bus with my security detail keeping an eye on me.

Nothing sounded better right now than to get into the shower, wash off the sweat and stink, then curl into my bed with one of my novels. Yeah... I know... this mega rock star... loves to read.... get over it.

I was about halfway there when I heard one of my guards say, "HEY! You can't come with us! Hey!!!"

I turned to see who was disturbing my attempt at a quiet retreat only to find my opening act lead singer Mona being blocked by two of my men. I say, "Nah boys... let her through. She is always welcome to spend some time with me... Mona... you want to join me a bit?"

One minor flaw about not being as known or famous as others, is security. Sometimes it can be downright humiliating having to explain to a 6’5 250lb security guard how you’re there to actually perform, and not just trying to get a behind the scenes look. This was the exact predicament I was in now, trying to explain how yes my band did open for Jameson and yes I am invited to the Jameson after party. “No, but you don’t understand.”
“I think we understand perfectly fine sweetie.” I think they could see how I was starting to get visibly red and chuckled between themselves, laughing at my defeat.
“No, but me and my band were invited!”
“Is this band in the room with us right now?” Of course. Of course I look even more shady without Alice, Henry, and Marcy here. They decided to stay back at the hotel, exhausted from our show, but I was too excited to get to experience a real Jameson after party. I decided I had enough and would just try to make it past them while they laughed with each other. I didn’t make it too far before I hear “HEY! You can’t come with us! HEY!!”
And just as they’re about to throw me out, the Scott Jameson comes to my rescue.
"Nah boys... let her through. She is always welcome to spend some time with me... Mona... you want to join me a bit?" I froze, Scott Jameson was asking me to join him a bit? I needed to chill out, act as if I had been asked to partake in a mundane activity, like a puzzle or crossword. “Yeah, that’d be great, yeah. Sounds chill. Thanks.” Real smooth. The security guards looking between themselves and then to me, I guess a little shocked as I followed Scott to his bus? Maybe he has to grab something? I didn’t really care though, Ive looked up to this man for as long as I can remember, his music inspiring a lot of mine. I wanted nothing more than to get a chance to talk with him.

The new girl, admittingly, was hotter than the sun in his eyes, but she was about 20 years to his age and dressed to kill. I have to be careful with this one. My gut tells me she is secretly a groupie as well, but she is the opening act and to be honest, once of the best opening acts he had had in 8 years. It was a BAD deal when getting involved with other talent. Besides, as I stated before I am growing weary of the revolving door of women. None of them wanted me for me... they wanted me because of my fame and my name.

I offered her my arm saying, "Come on darlin... you sounded amazing out there. Paul, Frank... you memorize her face... she has access to me if she wishes." My boys protecting me were big and strong and not really stupid, but they had clearly drawn the wrong conclusion of me when I see them bob their eyes and glance at her ass. I rolled my own eyes and said, "Men..."

I walked with her down the side entrance away from the crowds towards the three motorbuses that were there waiting. The first one was a rental that her band used to carry their gear. The second larger one was for my crew. The largest and most ostentatious was my own. I opened the door and allowed Mona inside the interior with my boys remaining outside it.

I closed the doors and said, "Can I offer you a drink? I am making tea."

Making our way to his bus, there were so many eyes. I knew I was there to perform, it was my job, and Scott and I were just being colleagues, just getting to know each other better, but right now it felt like everyone was coming to their own conclusion of what would happen in Scott’s bus. Scott closed the doors to his trailer behind me. It was probably double or triple the size of ours, which was just for our gear, but it looked like a family of five could live in here.
“Can I offer you a drink? I’m making tea.” Almost took me off guard, Scott Jameson making tea? Ok. “Um yeah sure tea sounds great.” I looked around for a second, not sure what else to do, I probably looked lost. I found a couch built into the bus wall and took a seat. Scott came back with two glasses and sat beside me, handing me mine.
“So please, tell me a little bit about my opening lead singer.” Exactly, just colleagues getting to know colleagues. I understood the grip Scott had on the female population and to him, I was just someone who now worked with him and his band. I also understood the chances of being with someone 20 years my senior who probably didn’t even take me that seriously, why should he? “Well I was born and raised in Houston, Texas. I moved to California when I was 19, I created Wilt that same year, in our drummer’s parents’ garage. We had cheap equipment, and we’re just playing at small venues. Honestly surprised to have grown this quick within two years, I know some people who have spent a decade in the industry not going anywhere. I’m sure it was mostly management and marketing that got us the opener, but you have no clue what this opportunity means for us, thank you.” I paused, debating on whether I should, ah hell. “You know, I grew up loving your music, it even inspired some of my writing. I was so excited to get a call saying we were opening for you.” I immediately wondered if I should have said anything, but I guess I would just have to wait for his reaction.

I smiled as I kicked on the electric kettle and pulled out two tea cups. Pulling two chamomile tea bags out, I dipped them into the cups and waited for the water to boil. Leaning on the counter, I listened to your story. It isn't the first time we had talked, it was not even the third, but both of those talks had been with managers and bands in the mix listening in. This was the first time I had actually walked with you one on one. As the water comes to a boil, I take it and fill the two cups. I walk over to her and hand her a cup saying, "I didn't mean that... I guess... not really."

I walk to the couch and sit down and pat the chair near me indicating her. I smiled as she complied and I say, "What I mean is... your music, your look, your public presence. What inspired you? What made you who you are today?"

I know it is a very open ended question but that is okay. I want to know who she REALLY is. I lean back and sip on my tea and kick off my boots, setting my feet on the coffee table in front of me.

“My lyrics are my words, my stories, my feelings, my realizations, it all comes from my head. As for our sound, I have many inspirations, some not even contributing to our sound like Santana or Cass Elliot. If I were to compare our sound to other artists, I would say a little Smashing Pumpkins, a little Slowdive, a little Black Sabbath, and a lot of personal touch. As for my clothes, I had a great aunt, her name was Marcelline, I thought she was a witch growing up, she terrified me. I remember a lot of my family not getting along with her because of her strange antics” I grinned at the memory and kept going, “I grew to respect her though, and we became really close before she passed. I had moved in with her when I first moved to California few years ago. When she passed, everything was left in my name, including a lot of her cool, old, witchy clothes. I think I was the only person really close to her in her last moments. But she didn’t feel sorry for herself, she didn’t need anyone. I miss her a whole lot.” I pulled out my phone and showed Scott a picture of Marcelline and I. I thought about the rest of his question, I wasn’t really sure how to respond. No one had ever taken the time to ask me, and I never really took the time to think about what inspired me, as a person, not my music, not my looks. I guess Scott was giving me the time, the opportunity. I contemplated as he watched me. “I guess I would have to say not knowing what’s in my hand has inspired me. I believe in the practice of taking what we don’t know—that precious space where anything is possible—and allowing myself to live in its question mark, to play with what I really want, and challenging myself to build and create the world I want to live in.” I felt proud of my answer, I realized I was talking as if I was writing. I only felt this comfortable when I’m writing, alone with my thoughts and a pen. One conversation with Scott and I felt the same way, I assume its because I had felt like I’d known him, I had been listening to his music since I could remember, but at the same time he hadn’t come out with any music in the past 5 years, I had no clue if this was the man I knew. Things seemed different. “Wow, that’s enough about me, can I ask you something? Why you haven’t released any music lately?”

"Me? Music?" I suddenly felt rather offset with her question. Truth was I hadn't felt any real inspiration in the last year or two. Most of my work had happened during my drunken or drug driven stupors... It was humiliating to be honest that my attempts to straighten my mind up, replacing the drugs and women and booze with libraries, tea, and chastity? How was I supposed to know that would zap my creative spark as well?

I felt my face flush and said, "I... well... I am having a bit of a dry spell I figure."

I sipped on my tea and said, "Unfortunately, my creative spark comes from a dangerous location... I don't want to go out like Kurt Corbain..."

I say nothing as I look out one of the bus windows to see the fans departing the arena and gathering at the wooden barricades to hope to get a one more sneak peek at me. I say, "I... think my time is winding up to tell the truth. I... have done what I wanted to do, gone where I wanted to go, seen what I wanted to see. Perhaps it's time to consider retirement in all honesty. My inspiration has vanished lately..."

The other idea is... finding a new source of inspiration.

Back