The official Authors' Hangout Summer Lovin' 2019 Support Thread

Was having writers block, but then I set the font color to bright pink and now it’s flowing smoothly.

One problem I’m having is writing this one relationship. So much of writing a story, or at least this story, is so much about the protagonist’s relationship with themselves. So there’s the pitfall of having the relationship with the love interest seem secondary or slapdash.

Sounds interesting!

I have been struggling with some writer's block too, but not the usual kind. I guess it has to do with how surprisingly well my first story did (currently sitting at a 4.76) and the anxiety caused by wanting to live up to that expectation with my second. Every line I write just feels like it's awful and it's really slow going, mostly because I tend to erase and rewrite sections constantly, which is something I never used to do. Might have been a bad time to step out of my comfort zone and try writing in first person too, I guess... It's not helping either.

I have been struggling with some writer's block too, but not the usual kind. I guess it has to do with how surprisingly well my first story did (currently sitting at a 4.76) and the anxiety caused by wanting to live up to that expectation with my second. Every line I write just feels like it's awful and it's really slow going, mostly because I tend to erase and rewrite sections constantly, which is something I never used to do. Might have been a bad time to step out of my comfort zone and try writing in first person too, I guess... It's not helping either.

Save that one as a draft and try to write something different - for you, that is.

I can relate to this. I went through a creative burst of writing and publishing nine stories in the span of two months two years ago, but I've never been able to recapture that pace or degree of productivity because I feel like I set a certain standard for myself and don't want to fall below it. I write more slowly now. You have to learn to enjoy the good feedback you get here without getting too attached to it. Look at writing and publishing here as an opportunity to learn how to write better rather than as a place where a certain standard is expected. It really isn't that.

I'm a bit the same. I could have rattled out a follow up to my first two stories, but I decided try a suggestion from the ideas forum. The concept is sound but I guess I'm not as invested in this lot compared to my own ideas. I've just been chipping away paragraph by paragraph. Hopefully it'll get there.

Thanks for the replies. I guess I should do what Ogg suggested and just shelf this story for now. To be honest, my idea for Halloween has been demanding to be written for a while now, I think I'll give that a shot instead. I'm pretty excited about it, and since it's in third person like my other stories it'll be much easier to write too.

Thanks for the replies. I guess I should do what Ogg suggested and just shelf this story for now. To be honest, my idea for Halloween has been demanding to be written for a while now, I think I'll give that a shot instead. I'm pretty excited about it, and since it's in third person like my other stories it'll be much easier to write too.

I WILL gently advise you that if 4.76 is your low standard, you’ll likely be too skittish to become prolific here. Get past it. Write what you want to write and be damned to the score.

My early few stories did very well, so without reading here in the AH I posted a story to Loving Wives. It was good for me. It made me realize not every category is the same.

Each story is a confluence of category, audience, and plot. Add in the contest variable and that’ll change things further. If you become prolific here, you’ll have stories without the red H. You’ll CERTAINLY have stories that go under 4.76. Don’t worry about that. Write something you’re proud of.

I WILL gently advise you that if 4.76 is your low standard, you’ll likely be too skittish to become prolific here. Get past it. Write what you want to write and be damned to the score.

My early few stories did very well, so without reading here in the AH I posted a story to Loving Wives. It was good for me. It made me realize not every category is the same.

Each story is a confluence of category, audience, and plot. Add in the contest variable and that’ll change things further. If you become prolific here, you’ll have stories without the red H. You’ll CERTAINLY have stories that go under 4.76. Don’t worry about that. Write something you’re proud of.

This is very good advice.

Don't be skittish. Be bold and try new things. Don't let the desire to pursue or maintain scores determine what you do.

You've definitely got the writing chops. So experiment with story telling.

Like Voboy I submitted a story to Loving Wives, and I saw my average score plummet, but I wouldn't take it back. It was a fun story to write and it was very interesting to see some of the comments I got (most have been deleted by the admin, alas).

The other advice I have is don't let your story-writing become too focused on contests. Some people are so prolific that they can crank out stories contest after contest with no problem. I can't do that. I miss more contest deadlines than I make. So I find I'm most content when I write on my own schedule, and if it so happens that it matches up with a contest that's great. If not, no big deal.

I know, and I didn't set the bar at 4.76 for myself, or even at a red H. But it's good to know, talking to you guys already helped me a lot. The focus should be on what I like to write, and if people enjoy it that's nice but that shouldn't be the focus. That was how I approached my first story too, I guess I needed a reminder of that.

This is very good advice.

Don't be skittish. Be bold and try new things. Don't let the desire to pursue or maintain scores determine what you do.

You've definitely got the writing chops. So experiment with story telling.

Like Voboy I submitted a story to Loving Wives, and I saw my average score plummet, but I wouldn't take it back. It was a fun story to write and it was very interesting to see some of the comments I got (most have been deleted by the admin, alas).

The other advice I have is don't let your story-writing become too focused on contests. Some people are so prolific that they can crank out stories contest after contest with no problem. I can't do that. I miss more contest deadlines than I make. So I find I'm most content when I write on my own schedule, and if it so happens that it matches up with a contest that's great. If not, no big deal.

Good point. I do have some other stories planned that aren't directly tied to a contest. I guess maybe that's why I had some trouble with this one... I specifically came up with it for the contest. Of course, I also did for my first story, but it was an idea I already had that I adapted to fit the nudity theme, rather than being entirely build around that contest. My Halloween story is the same, I already had an idea in my head for a little while and it just fit the Halloween theme so I figured I could submit it for that. It's been forcing itself to the front of my brain every time I try to work on my Summer Lovin' story, so I guess I should just listen and work on that one instead. I've been doing some planning for it right now and I do have a much better feeling about this story. It's something I know I'll enjoy writing a lot, and I feel a lot more confident in my ability to write it properly too. Thanks for the advice everyone, it really helped.

I didn’t start entering contests until I already had about fifteen stories here. I did it on a lark, because I was curious to see whether I’d be comfortable writing outside my usual box, and that’s still why I enter them. I like forcing myself a little.

Plus, inevitably for me, the ideas stopped coming so easily after awhile. Contest prompts help sometimes.

I didn’t start entering contests until I already had about fifteen stories here. I did it on a lark, because I was curious to see whether I’d be comfortable writing outside my usual box, and that’s still why I enter them. I like forcing myself a little.

Me too. The contests push me to write things I wouldn’t normally. That said, I’m skipping this one. I’m on a roll with three novels right now and I don’t want to interrupt the flow.

It looks like someone volunteered to fix that high score problem for you. It's a risk you take when you mention a good score on the forum.

The writing pattern you describe is actually how I write. I don't know that past scores are my problem. Rather, I think of it as having standards that are hard for me to meet, so writing goes slowly. I've given up on advising people on how to write. No-one needs to write like I write.

It looks like someone volunteered to fix that high score problem for you. It's a risk you take when you mention a good score on the forum.

The writing pattern you describe is actually how I write. I don't know that past scores are my problem. Rather, I think of it as having standards that are hard for me to meet, so writing goes slowly. I've given up on advising people on how to write. No-one needs to write like I write.

Wow, that's a serious drop, too. Guess the 1-bombs the final contest sweep removed got re-applied. This is about where it was before those sweeps. Oh well, lesson learned I suppose, haha.

Yeah I wasn't hung up on the score specifically, but more so the level of writing itself. Pretty sure writing in first person for the first time was a bad decision for this too, right now. Of course I won't reach my usual standards while writing in a perspective I still need to get familiar with. But as I said, I've shelved the idea for now, because I still like it. For now, I'm just going to focus on writing the story that I really want to write, rather than the one that would fit the upcoming contest.

Wow, that's a serious drop, too. Guess the 1-bombs the final contest sweep removed got re-applied. This is about where it was before those sweeps. Oh well, lesson learned I suppose, haha.

Either there was more than one volunteer, or someone made a concerted effort. Laurel may run a follow-up sweep on the contest stories to catch things like that -- I think she's done that before. If nothing else, the Summer Lovin' sweeps will probably catch them.

Yeah I wasn't hung up on the score specifically, but more so the level of writing itself. Pretty sure writing in first person for the first time was a bad decision for this too, right now. Of course I won't reach my usual standards while writing in a perspective I still need to get familiar with. But as I said, I've shelved the idea for now, because I still like it. For now, I'm just going to focus on writing the story that I really want to write, rather than the one that would fit the upcoming contest.

I got bogged down a couple years ago while writing a story that just didn't work out. I decided to write something completely different to get out of the hole I dug for myself. My four Pixie stories -- all written to a formula in less than a month -- were the result. They worked and let me write what I still regard as one of my best stories (readers don't necessarily agree), also in less than a month.

When I later tried to extend my Pixie series, the new story bogged me down. I thought that was ironic.

I’m usually an FP writer, but sometimes the story flows better in TP. There are times I’ve reached around 3k words in FP, realized something wasn’t right, then gone back and swapped to TP and it’s worked.

Point being, it’s not really about mastering one perspective or another, necessarily. Some stories just cry out to be told in their own way.

I’m usually an FP writer, but sometimes the story flows better in TP. There are times I’ve reached around 3k words in FP, realized something wasn’t right, then gone back and swapped to TP and it’s worked.

Point being, it’s not really about mastering one perspective or another, necessarily. Some stories just cry out to be told in their own way.

Good point... I'll keep that in mind for whenever I return to it. It was really hard to decide on a perspective for this, there's a decent chance third person would have worked better. Not that I got enough writing done to really see that yet, only a couple hundred words.

Good point... I'll keep that in mind for whenever I return to it. It was really hard to decide on a perspective for this, there's a decent chance third person would have worked better. Not that I got enough writing done to really see that yet, only a couple hundred words.

Many of the writers here prefer first person and feel that first person gives the story a level of intimacy that works well for erotica.

My view is a little different. For me, the default POV is third person omniscient, and I have to convince myself that there's a good reason to choose a different POV. Sometimes there is.

With my last story, I was 10K+ words in when I decided to switch from first person to third person. It was painstaking to do it but I'm glad I did. I like third person because I feel it gives me more freedom as the narrator to describe things in a way that might not be realistic for the protagonist to describe things.

There's no right way, though, and many readers seem to prefer first person.

Many of the writers here prefer first person and feel that first person gives the story a level of intimacy that works well for erotica.

My view is a little different. For me, the default POV is third person omniscient, and I have to convince myself that there's a good reason to choose a different POV. Sometimes there is.

With my last story, I was 10K+ words in when I decided to switch from first person to third person. It was painstaking to do it but I'm glad I did. I like third person because I feel it gives me more freedom as the narrator to describe things in a way that might not be realistic for the protagonist to describe things.

There's no right way, though, and many readers seem to prefer first person.

Sometimes I have found that switching from 3rd to 1st, or vice versa, helps to restart a stalled story. It doesn't always work. Some drafts are beyond redemption but I always keep them. They can be a source for a different story.

Story I’m trying to work on before summer one is giving me a hard time. The passion I keep expecting to kick in hasn’t come yet. I’m at like 11.5 k words and think I’m within 4-5 k words from finishing it so I don’t want to completely abandon it. But you know it kind of feels like I’m trying to defibrillate it over and over again. I just really want to finish it before I do any more work on my summer story so I don't have this one rattling around in the back of my head.

On the plus side I got my summer story all mapped out with 1 k words and assorted notes and I’m pretty happy with those. Though I suspect others won’t be when it becomes contest time.

Questions

Just got my word count to 15.5 k in an uncritical writing frenzy. I just have the following questions.

What is good writing?

What makes writing erotic?

Is all writing about sex erotic?

What are helpful tangents and which ones harm the story?

How much should you write about emotions? When does writing about a character's inner life become tiresome?

Are clowns secretly sexy?

How much masturbation is too much masturbation in a piece of erotica?

Should I be writing an idealized erotic fantasy or something that I find interesting and identifiable?

Should the main goal of erotica be to get people into an uncontrollable sexual frenzy?

Does critical think necessarily block people from entering this sexual frenzy?

Why didn't daddy love me?

And finally

What causes a person to identify with a character?

Just got my word count to 15.5 k in an uncritical writing frenzy. I just have the following questions.

What is good writing?

What makes writing erotic?

Is all writing about sex erotic?

What are helpful tangents and which ones harm the story?

How much should you write about emotions? When does writing about a character's inner life become tiresome?

Are clowns secretly sexy?

How much masturbation is too much masturbation in a piece of erotica?

Should I be writing an idealized erotic fantasy or something that I find interesting and identifiable?

Should the main goal of erotica be to get people into an uncontrollable sexual frenzy?

Does critical think necessarily block people from entering this sexual frenzy?

Why didn't daddy love me?

And finally

What causes a person to identify with a character?

Most of your questions are too broad to answer succinctly. But we can say one thing with 100% confidence:

Clowns are not sexy -- secretly, openly, or in any other way.

Most of your questions are too broad to answer succinctly. But we can say one thing with 100% confidence:

Clowns are not sexy -- secretly, openly, or in any other way.

It might take a Clown writer’s event to prove that, though...

It might take a Clown writer’s event to prove that, though...

I think the only time I've seen a sexy clown-like character was Harley Quinn, and that's not even technically a clown. Depends on the version of her of course, some were sexier than others.

Back