The Official Authors' Hangout Halloween 2018 Support Thread

Keep on running

Written mine. 7K words all in a day. Just waiting to be edited. When can we submit?

Written mine. 7K words all in a day. Just waiting to be edited. When can we submit?

Usually about a week before the start date (Oct 2) but Laurel hasn't yet posted her thread in the Authors' Hangout.

I have a question touching on ethics, regarding the Halloween contest.

I have a novel length story not yet published here—it contains a chapter with a really bizarre, horror-erotic Halloween party, attended by a group of English university students. Would it be ethical to ‘borrow’ this chapter, change the names, location, and the preamble to the party with a wholly different set of circumstances? But keep the truly bizarre happenings at the party?

It would result in a story of approximately 9,000 words.

I still plan to submit the novel in Literotica in a number of parts, further down the road, including the party. And I guess I’d include a disclaimer that I’d used the party-segment in a separate story.

What do you think...? Fair ball...?

What do you think...? Fair ball...?
Fair game - it sounds like it can stand alone as a story, so go for it. This contest won't care if in six month's time, whenever, it pops up as chapter three in some longer thing.

I have sent a PM to Laurel asking for the official announcement since the start date is only a week away.

I have sent a PM to Laurel asking for the official announcement since the start date is only a week away.

And you got it. It looks like people can start submitting their stories as early as tomorrow.

And I so hoped to be first to submit . . . . next year maybe

Dream-Stone is on its way . . . strange, scary dreams, a Mayan Chief, a sacrificial altar and a young woman possessed . . . all contained in the boundaries of a couple of Lit pages. Heading into the Erotic Horror category just in time for Halloween.

Hope you enjoy.

And I so hoped to be first to submit . . . . next year maybe

Dream-Stone is on its way . . . strange, scary dreams, a Mayan Chief, a sacrificial altar and a young woman possessed . . . all contained in the boundaries of a couple of Lit pages. Heading into the Erotic Horror category just in time for Halloween.

Hope you enjoy.

No one except Laurel knows who submitted first. All stories submitted and approved before the opening date will appear on Day 1.

My submission has changed from blue pending to grey for posting on the 2nd.

Bump - any more authors submitting for the start on October 2nd?

Not me. With luck and good writing mojo I can get my contest story done in about a week. But I have a noncontest story I'm trying to finish first.

Second (short) entry just submitted.

I've just noticed that Laurel's Halloween Contest post refers to my Summer Lovin' support thread but actually links to this one.

Managed to get a draft done over the weekend. Now just hoping one of my regular editors have time to look at it so I don't have to shop around.

Both of mine are now marked for posting.

The third possible entry is about 6,000 words at the halfway stage.

There are two more part-written but they might have to wait to 2019.

12+k and done. A lot longer than I originally thought it would be. I'll let it sit for a day or two and make another editing pass.

The second story is at 7755 words but I'm not sure how much more there will be to it. Only time will tell.

I've had laptop issues the past week. I never got a chance to send mine to anyone to edit, but I'm going to go ahead and submit it tonight. Hopefully it's ok without being edited.

I've had laptop issues the past week. I never got a chance to send mine to anyone to edit, but I'm going to go ahead and submit it tonight. Hopefully it's ok without being edited.

You're brave. No matter how many times I self-edit, I seem to miss annoying mistakes. Until I've submitted. Then they appear.

A friend of mine once said that in every creative person lives a child who can't wait to show their latest drawing to their parents. I am increasingly learning to strangle that child and hold off on publication, at least until I've had an editorial mama read it.

I just posted mine using the new control panel. I like the old one better. Or maybe I'm just used to the old.

Now for the wait.

Back