The Myth of the Artist

THROBBS

I am Fauve
The sensitive, sensual and eccentric Artist, especially in the context of nude models.
I for one am cool with perpetuating that myth.

I remember being a kid and saying I wanted to be an artist when I grew up. I guess I meant, a person who can draw, NOT all of the not-myth-it’s-fucking-true-tortured-soul part!
I got that part in spades; my ability to draw is inconsistent, and look where I am….
If they weren’t already dead my family would die.

I remember being a kid and saying I wanted to be an artist when I grew up. I guess I meant, a person who can draw, NOT all of the not-myth-it’s-fucking-true-tortured-soul part!
I got that part in spades; my ability to draw is inconsistent, and look where I am….
If they weren’t already dead my family would die.

I always wanted to draw and paint, and did. I did not really consider it as a "career" per se.
So, I always drew and painted.

I certainly didn't "want" the tortured soul aspect, I just had that — from feeling a bit of an "outsider", being less affluent and not so smooth with the girls (awkward). But I did recognize that having some skill did help me "get my foot in the door" socially. Looking back, I could have played it more to my advantage. Though I am glad that I was not a "player", I look back on a few missed opportunities because of my obliviousness.

I always wanted to draw and paint, and did. I did not really consider it as a "career" per se.
So, I always drew and painted.

I certainly didn't "want" the tortured soul aspect, I just had that — from feeling a bit of an "outsider", being less affluent and not so smooth with the girls (awkward). But I did recognize that having some skill did help me "get my foot in the door" socially. Looking back, I could have played it more to my advantage. Though I am glad that I was not a "player", I look back on a few missed opportunities because of my obliviousness.
Will reply when have time and my mind calms down. Post storm stress.

This is a great thread. I did become an artist (of sorts), but I absolutely never wanted to be tortured. However, unless there is an emotional connection with your work, unless it means a great deal to you, then it is hard to get better and improve. So the tortured artist often becomes true to some extent. For myself that is usually just during the process of drawing. I'm not tortured in between. And I usually only draw from life so there is always an end point of the torture. Though I do put my subjects through some torture occasionally...

This is a great thread. I did become an artist (of sorts), but I absolutely never wanted to be tortured. However, unless there is an emotional connection with your work, unless it means a great deal to you, then it is hard to get better and improve. So the tortured artist often becomes true to some extent. For myself that is usually just during the process of drawing. I'm not tortured in between. And I usually only draw from life so there is always an end point of the torture. Though I do put my subjects through some torture occasionally...
Lucky you, getting to “finish” your work in a satisfying manner! Very fortunate indeed.

Back