Introduction

This must be your classic case of each to his own.

I personally can't seen any way in which the act of smoking would remotely "help" to make anyone look better. Totally and utterly mystified.
There's a whole thread in F&S about it. One that stands out among all others is Linda Evangelista.

Indeed, they are not.
If all of the things that trouble us in life responded to rational thinking, wouldn’t we have solved all of our issues long long ago? When I (or others) try to use logic to solve something emotional or even not categorizable that is causing me problems, I just say my emotions don’t speak that language. “Ohhh, you don’t have any reason to ___” fill in the blank, be depressed, whatever. Yes, I’m aware of that. (Or maybe I do and they just don’t know it)
Do people really think it just hadn’t occurred to me to think it through and see if it was logical?
Bah!
Enough.

If all of the things that trouble us in life responded to rational thinking, wouldn’t we have solved all of our issues long long ago? When I (or others) try to use logic to solve something emotional or even not categorizable that is causing me problems, I just say my emotions don’t speak that language. “Ohhh, you don’t have any reason to ___” fill in the blank, be depressed, whatever. Yes, I’m aware of that. (Or maybe I do and they just don’t know it)
Do people really think it just hadn’t occurred to me to think it through and see if it was logical?
Bah!
Enough.
Well said @Llehlla . I'd add that while considering the eclectic, oft times unpredictable nature of this subject—human sexual behaviorism, and most specifically, fetishism—one must accept the fact that part of the very reason for its intensity, the heat it generates in any individual is its irrationality. I mean, save for legitimate debilitating psychosis, and other manic disorders, within reason, who's to say what's valid or what is not in this specific area of human thought? It is subjective, it's personal. Many factors, many intricate, sometimes subtle, events lead to the development of such obsessions.

However, to be fair, the author of the original comment was correct with the first observation until he-she-they kind of/sort of, and not so subtly, went into a superior and "above-it-all" mode in the second part of their assessment. lol

This is so far up your alley you will die and go to heaven.

Meet Dan and Ruby:

When It's Safe to Die - a Mickey Spillane Tribute Story
@ElectricBlue (exclamation point) You've captured the shadows beautifully! Along with that capture, you also conjured the nuances of grey, brought forth the cinematic contrasting with light through adept phrasing and descriptive voicing, pin-spotlighted your characters' faces, and produced the contrast between dark silhouette and stark brilliance cast onto their features.

The descriptions were so good that I could almost smell the air, see the textures, and imagine hearing FDR's comforting tone, or maybe even Gabriel Heatter's voice softly emanating from a radio in the background! Dulcet, dripping notes from a distant sax wafted in my head while reading!

The conversations, the verbiage, and the exchanges were dead on! In spots, it crackled. Through humor and an unerring grip on the dialogue, you created a convincing atmosphere of dark and light. The tenor was pinpoint; and so was the story's flow!

Both Dan and Ruby were so fleshed out! You made me chuckle at Dan's last name. "Arbogast"...I Love it! Are you a Hitchcock fan? And Ruby's persona! *pant!* Did I mention the eroticism? The tale delivered on that, as well!

@ElectricBlue (exclamation point) You've captured the shadows beautifully! Along with that capture, you also conjured the nuances of grey, brought forth the cinematic contrasting with light through adept phrasing and descriptive voicing, pin-spotlighted your characters' faces, and produced the contrast between dark silhouette and stark brilliance cast onto their features.

The descriptions were so good that I could almost smell the air, see the textures, and imagine hearing FDR's comforting tone, or maybe even Gabriel Heatter's voice softly emanating from a radio in the background! Dulcet, dripping notes from a distant sax wafted in my head while reading!

The conversations, the verbiage, and the exchanges were dead on! In spots, it crackled. Through humor and an unerring grip on the dialogue, you created a convincing atmosphere of dark and light. The tenor was pinpoint; and so was the story's flow!

Both Dan and Ruby were so fleshed out! You made me chuckle at Dan's last name. "Arbogast"...I Love it! Are you a Hitchcock fan? And Ruby's persona! *pant!* Did I mention the eroticism? The tale delivered on that, as well!
I read @ElectricBlue's Spillane story 2 years ago, and thought it was very well done. Left a comment back then. I imagine that Stacy Keach is telling the story in Mike Hammer's voice.

Last edited:

PS: @ElectricBlue ...I neglected to mention that, not only did I have the aforementioned sax playing in my head, but I was also listening to my Art Tatum Anthology. Put me right in the mood! lol

Well said @Llehlla . I'd add that while considering the eclectic, oft times unpredictable nature of this subject—human sexual behaviorism, and most specifically, fetishism—one must accept the fact that part of the very reason for its intensity, the heat it generates in any individual is its irrationality. I mean, save for legitimate debilitating psychosis, and other manic disorders, within reason, who's to say what's valid or what is not in this specific area of human thought? It is subjective, it's personal. Many factors, many intricate, sometimes subtle, events lead to the development of such obsessions.

However, to be fair, the author of the original comment was correct with the first observation until he-she-they kind of/sort of, and not so subtly, went into a superior and "above-it-all" mode in the second part of their assessment. lol

See this, @ElectricBlue ? You come to the VA corner to get a REAL review of your story!
Huh? Artists CAN write!

I had about 15 or 20 posts selected for removal, but unchecked them all. I may end up moving all of those to another thread either here or on F&S. I'm thinking the ones about the story can remain since they relate directly to the art and creating the same kind of atmosphere with words.

Still thinking, but the arguing needs to stop.

--------------

Thread Pruned.

Last edited:
Back