The Most Popular Alternative Name For The Washington Football Team Is...

I hope I convey a lack of snark in this question, RJ:

Do you think the name would have as visceral a reaction for you if your Grandmother had not taken the time to correct you?

You shared your experience with the strong reaction your Grandmother had to your youthful experimentation with the word. I would imagine that experience would be formative. I am picturing that in a similar vein many African American Grandmothers have rebuked their offspring for using the "N' word, regardless of its intended usage or connotation.

I am re-thinking my stance on it a bit when I read that the term came from the color of the underside of scalps, rather than what I had always assumed that it referred to a sun-baked ruddy complexion.

The term didn't come from the color of the underside of scalps. The underside of a white scalp is just as red.

I hope I convey a lack of snark in this question, RJ:

Do you think the name would have as visceral a reaction for you if your Grandmother had not taken the time to correct you?

You shared your experience with the strong reaction your Grandmother had to your youthful experimentation with the word. I would imagine that experience would be formative. I am picturing that in a similar vein many African American Grandmothers have rebuked their offspring for using the "N' word, regardless of its intended usage or connotation.

I am re-thinking my stance on it a bit when I read that the term came from the color of the underside of scalps, rather than what I had always assumed that it referred to a sun-baked ruddy complexion.

I believe that I would have, after I learned more about the name when I was a teenager, when I was brought to the reservation and learned "the ways" and legends of the nation.

The term didn't come from the color of the underside of scalps. The underside of a white scalp is just as red.

It's red with blood. You've never hunted, have you?

GROSS ALERT:
When you skin ANY animal, there's still a ton of blood attached to the fur/skin.

But there were NO REWARDS for scalps of white men and women.

False. Rewards were paid at times for white scalps. But scalping existed in the Americas long before whites came here. It also existed in other parts of the world for many thousands of years. It has a very long history.

False. Rewards were paid at times for white scalps. But scalping existed in the Americas long before whites came here. It also existed in other parts of the world for many thousands of years. It has a very long history.

We're talking about what its meaning is IN THIS COUNTRY.

Make all the excuses, tell all the lies and revisionist history all you want. It's a name that should have never been attached to the team.

We're talking about what its meaning is IN THIS COUNTRY.

Make all the excuses, tell all the lies and revisionist history all you want. It's a name that should have never been attached to the team.

I can't believe you think the damn team was named after the underside of Indian scalps. That's insane.

I can't believe you think the damn team was named after the underside of Indian scalps. That's insane.

It was named by a racist FUCK who knew damned well the word offended many people, even in 1933.

If you believe the word comes from the color of the skin of the Indian, wouldn't that be just as bad? Can you imagine someone naming a team called the Blackskins or Slanteyes?

It was named by a racist FUCK who knew damned well the word offended many people, even in 1933.

If you believe the word comes from the color of the skin of the Indian, wouldn't that be just as bad? Can you imagine someone naming a team called the Blackskins or Slanteyes?

Fair point.

I wasn't around in 1933, and neither were you, but my honest guess is that the owner of the team didn't consider the name to be offensive. I understand the coach at the time was part Indian, or Native American, or whatever the term you prefer might be, so I seriously doubt it was meant as anything uncomplimentary. By the way, I don't care if they change the name. I couldn't care less about that. I just find it a little odd that it's such a big deal to a relatively few people.

I wasn't around in 1933, and neither were you, but my honest guess is that the owner of the team didn't consider the name to be offensive. I understand the coach at the time was part Indian, or Native American, or whatever the term you prefer might be, so I seriously doubt it was meant as anything uncomplimentary. By the way, I don't care if they change the name. I couldn't care less about that. I just find it a little odd that it's such a big deal to a relatively few people.

With that logic, the Civil Rights Acts in the 60s were odd.

I find it very odd that you are equating the two things.

It's a minority which is being affected with both. You're dismissing the Native Americans because "I just find it a little odd that it's such a big deal to a relatively few people."

Whites said this about the Civil Rights.

It's a minority which is being affected with both. You're dismissing the Native Americans because "I just find it a little odd that it's such a big deal to a relatively few people."

Whites said this about the Civil Rights.

No, I see this being about the name of a fucking football team, and the other about much more important things.

What, you mean there is 1RACE, HUMAN?

How can anyone whine and complain and pose as a perpetual victim if that were true.

Shame on you for suggesting such a thing.

And on me for agreeing.

It doesn't make it any less racist because it's a team name!

I couldn't care less if Snyder changes the name to Washington Palefaces or even Washington Honkies. In fact, I wish he would. It would be funny.

Back