The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003)

Allosaur14

Loves Spam
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003)
Movie Main Page
Movie Overview
Showtimes & Tickets
DVD/Video Info
Trailers & Clips
Cast and Credits
Awards & Nominations
Reviews and Previews
Critics Reviews
User Reviews
Greg's Preview
Movie Mom's Review
Photos
Premiere Photos
Production Photos
Community
Message Board
Shopping
Buy the Movie
Buy the Poster
Other Resources
Official Site
Web Sites
Recommendations
We don't have enough information about your movie taste to offer personalized recommendations.

Rate Movies Now

Movie Lists
This movie appears
on these lists
• Awsome Movies
by ace_raidenak@sbc.....
• Good movies I own
by almac6600
• Movies I Own
by elfdragon14
• My Favorite Movies
by sanka44
• My Favorite Movies
by dnrflyboy@sbc...
Add to My Movies

Release Date: December 17th, 2003 (that's a Wednesday)

Trilogy Rerelease Note: (8/22/03) New Line Cinema will be sending the first two movies in the trilogy back to about 100-150 theaters in the two weeks leading up to this movie's release. The Fellowship of the Ring will come first starting on December 5th, 2003, followed by The Two Towers starting on December 12th. Both films will be presented as special editions with over 30 minutes of additional material (essentially the DVD special editions). This will all lead up to a massive event in those theaters on December 16th, in which the entire trilogy will be presented in its entirety, starting with The Fellowship of the Ring presented at 3PM, The Two Towers at 7PM and the premiere of this movie at 11PM (which will run over into the 17th, which is the day of its release). Altogether, audiences who attend this event will see over ten hours of Tolkien (with intermissions in between each film).

(10/2/03) The list of participating theaters is now online over at LordoftheRings.net. Tickets go on sale Thursday, October 9th.

World Premiere: December 1st, 2003 (Embassy Theatre, Wellington, NZ)

Video Release Date: May 25th, 2004 (basic DVD version; extended DVD expected in the fall of 2004)

Awards: Best Ensemble (2003 National Board of Review); Best Picture (2003 New York Film Critics Circle); Best Director (2003 San Francisco Film Critics Circle); Best Director (2003 Toronto Film Critics Association); Best Picture, Best Director, Best Adapted Screenplay, Best Cinematography, Best Original Score, Best Sound, Best Visual Effects, Best Art Direction, Best Costume Design (2003 Online Film Critics Society); Best Director, Best Production Design (2003 Los Angeles Film Critics Association); Best Picture, Best Ensemble, Best Director (2003 Broadcast Film Critics Association); Best Picture - Drama, Best Director, Best Score, Best Song (2004 Golden Globes); Best Director (2004 Directors Guild of America); Best Picture (2004 Producers Guild of America); Best Feature Character Makeup, Best Feature Special Makeup Effects (2004 Hollywood Makeup Artist and Hair Stylist Guild Awards); Film of the Year, Best Adapted Screenplay, Best Cinematography, Best Special Visual Effects, Orange Film of the Year (public vote) (2004 British Academy Awards); Best Editing in a Dramatic Feature (2004 ACE Eddies); Best Ensemble (2004 Screen Actors Guild); Best Picture, Best Director, Best Art Direction, Best Costume Design, Best Visual Effects, Best Makeup, Best Sound Mixing, Original Score, Best Song ("Into the West"), Best Film Editing, Adapted Screenplay (76th Annual Academy Awards; Note: 'Return of the King' won in every Academy Award category in which it was nominated)

Nominations: Best Picture-Drama, Best Director, Best Original Score, Best Song (2003 Golden Globes); Best Director (2003 Directors Guild of America); Best Picture, Best Director, Best Adapted Screenplay, Best Art Direction, Best Costume Design, Best Makeup, Best Visual Effects, Best Editing, Best Sound Mixing, Best Score, Best Song (76th Annual Academy Awards); Best Adapted Screenplay (2003 Writers Guild of America)

MPAA Rating Note: (5/31/00) There's a contractual obligation not to deliver this film at an R rating, so like the other two films, you can expect a PG-13. (11/15/03) Sure enough.

MPAA Rating: PG-13 (for intense epic battle sequences and frightening images)

Running Time: 200 minutes

Running Time Note: (11/18/03) With the news that Peter Jackson has edited out the opening 7 minute sequence featuring Saruman and Grima, the running time has dropped from an estimated 210 minutes down to "just" 200 minutes (3 hours and 20 minutes).

Distributor: New Line Cinema

Cast: Elijah Wood (Frodo Baggins), Sir Ian McKellen (Gandalf), Sean Astin (Samwise Gamgee), Sala Baker (Sauron), Cate Blanchett (Galadriel), Orlando Bloom (Legolas), Billy Boyd (Pippin), Martin Csokas (Celeborn), Bernard Hill (Theoden), Lawrence Makoare (Witch King of Angmar), Dominic Monaghan (Merry), Viggo Mortensen (Aragorn), John Noble (Denethor), Miranda Otto (Eowyn), John Rhys-Davies (Gimli), Andy Serkis (Gollum), Liv Tyler (Arwen), Karl Urban (Eomer), Hugo Weaving Elrond), David Wenham (Faramir)

Cast Notes: (11/15/03) AICN reported last week that Peter Jackson has decided to edit the remaining scenes of Christopher Lee as Saruman and Brad Dourif as Grima Wormtongue out of this final movie, with a seven-minute sequence featuring them being saved for the DVD instead. This news comes after Jackson had already long ago made the decision not to include (ie, he never even filmed it) the Scouring of the Shire (personally one of my favorite sequences from the books), which also features those two characters.

Director: Peter Jackson (Heavenly Creatures, The Frighteners, Dead/Alive, The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers; next up is King Kong, and he hopes to someday direct The Hobbit)

Screenwriter: Peter Jackson, Frances Walsh (the writing team behind The Frighteners and Heavenly Creatures), Philippa Boyens (debut), Stephen Sinclair (cowriter of Meet the Feebles and Braindead)

Based Upon: The third novel of the classic trilogy of books by J.R.R. Tolkien that nearly singlehandedly established the modern genre of fantasy fiction as we know it. This last chapter is preceded by The Fellowship of the Ring and The Two Towers.

Filming Note: All three films of this trilogy will be filmed at the same time, over the course of roughly one year in New Zealand. Filming began on October 11th, 1999. (7/7/00) Principal filming is scheduled to wrap on the three films in February, 2001. There will still be plenty of postproduction required (especially on the second and third films). (1/3/01) According to The Hollywood Reporter, filming has already wrapped. (6/15/03) Peter Jackson has been filming some additional scenes (and/or reshoots?) in New Zealand this year.

Budget: It was recently (7/12/99) announced that New Line Cinema has expanded the budget for Lord of the Rings to a total of $190 million dollars, making it one of the most expensive film projects ever. However, this is offset by the fact that this money will produce three films, making the average for each film for $63 million, which is not really that much for films of this scale.

Genre: Action, Eye Candy

Articles About This Series: Yahoo! Full Coverage

The Unofficial Fan Sites: fandom.com/ringbearer, theonering.net, lordoftheringsmovie.com, xenite.org/faqs/lotr_movie

Photo Gallery: Elbakin.com

Watch the Trailer: Yahoo! Movies

Official Actor Site: Ian McKellen

Official Site: lordoftherings.net

Message Board: Share your thoughts on our "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003)" Message Board

Input about Greg's Previews of upcoming Movies, or any movie covered here, is encouraged. Just e-mail Greg Dean Schmitz using our feedback form. Please note that all release dates are subject to change.

Recent Updates to This Page:
3/26/04 - Director
3/15/04 - Video Release Date
2/29/04 - Awards, Nominations
Greg's Preview Thoughts:
Sort: By Most Recent | Chronologically

10/13/03 - New Line Cinema recently invited me and a few other writers to a screening of 20 minutes of clips from throughout the film, and what I saw... was absolutely, hands-down fantastic. The one condition to the event was that I can't write about *which* specific scenes we saw. So, I can't fully tell you about how much better the facial CGI work on Gollum seemed to me this time around, or about a certain song performance that nearly made my eyes water, or how fear-invoking one of the riding-to-battle sequences is, or about how this is the movie in which the three hobbits besides Frodo really get their different chances to shine (well, I knew that going in).

So, that leaves me with vagaries, but I'll try to make them *good* vagaries. Over all, it felt like these clips made the film seem like the most colorful, most visually fantastic of the three. I think the reason for this is that there is a lot more contrast going on in this film, visually, whereas the first two films were sort of evenly drenched in similar palates. Which, of course, makes a lot of sense when you consider that this is the movie in which the light of good and the darkness of evil clash for one final time. There was also a sense of finality and creeping dread in so many of the lines and performances which made every scene doubly powerful and intense. I'm sure New Line's intention with this screening was to let me get a glimpse so I could stay excited about this movie (like I need any help!), and bring that excitement back to you, the audience. The bulk of these scenes were *not* the book's best parts (well, except for one involving Frodo, Sam and Gollum), and yet even they completely rocked. From what I've seen, it appears Peter Jackson is truly saving the best for last.

10/02/03 - The list of theaters participating in the trilogy marathon on December 16th is now online over at LordoftheRings.net. Tickets go on sale Thursday, October 9th... contact your local theater for more information!

8/22/03 - Now that it's been announced, it makes perfect sense, but I have to say, it never occurred to me that New Line Cinema would do it. What is it, you ask? They are returning the first two movies (as extended versions with 30+ more minutes; basically the DVD extended versions) to theaters (about 100-150 nationwide) in December, in anticipation of this film's release (see notes to the left), and then on December 16th, those theaters will present the entire trilogy as a 10+ hour event (and that's not counting the intermissions!). New Line gets massive, massive props for going this route. Yes, it's basically a massive promotion for a movie's release, but for Tolkien fans, this is probably going to be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to see all three films back-to-back on a big screen. I would imagine there will be either massive camping out for tickets to the event (or in this modern age, just a rampage to buy the tickets online). It's true that most Tolkien fans will have seen these extended versions by December 16th, but the real difference here is the live experience, seeing Tolkien and Jackson's work as a complete epic, with the big finale being what they *haven't* seen before. I'm expecting the audiences are going to be *great* for these events; this just seems like the kind of fan experience that comes around only once a decade or so (opening day of The Phantom Menace was the last time). Again, New Line gets massive props. They are showing that they know how to make the fans very, very happy.

8/14/03 - The preview page for Peter Jackson's next big project, King Kong, is now up.

7/06/03 - Well, we now have a slightly better idea of when we might see the trailer for this final movie. New Line Cinema is *not* planning on attaching it to any movie this summer (Freddy vs Jason had seemed a likely target), so attention turns to the fall. Might they attach it to Secondhand Lions to give that film a boost when it opens up against The Rundown (starring The Rock) on September 26th.

5/18/03 - We may not have gotten a trailer at the end of Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, and it might be a while before we *do* get a trailer, but New Line hasn't forgotten about this crown jewel in their 2003 calendar (or the fans waiting for it). There is now a photo gallery of 26 new images over at the official site. They are mostly close-ups of the actors in costume (ie, not a monster in sight), but they set the mood regardless (for a movie that is still seven months away).

3/30/03 - It's not directly related to this movie, but in lieu of getting a preview page up right now (which I will do... soon), I thought I'd mention that Peter Jackson's next big movie after this will be his *other* dream project, a 21st century version of 'King Kong'. Filming will start in New Zealand with WETA doing the F/X in mid-2004, with Universal Pictures releasing it in 2005.

3/03/03 - Movie fan (and close personal friend of Peter Jackson) Harry Knowles has quoted the director on AICN.com site as saying that the first trailer for this movie is expected to be done in time to be in theaters in May or June. My guess would be that New Line will probably either aim to attach this to the June 13th release of their comedy, Dumb and Dumberer, or release it in conjunction with another studio's big potential blockbusters, like maybe X2 (5/2), The Matrix: Reloaded (5/15) or The Hulk (6/20).

1/14/03 - Well, this page was first posted now almost three years ago, but because of the nature of the trilogy, I haven't posted *too* much on it... waiting for the time when its release was closer (figuring that the year of 2003 would see plenty of news and stuff, so I wanted to leave room). Well, the year is just two weeks old, and already, there's something pretty darn cool to report on. New Line has apparently produced a "Return of the King" calendar as promotional items for press and such (I didn't get one! boo hoo!), and with it comes... over a dozen fantastic poster-like images! They are all faithfully posted online at the French site, Elbakin.com. It looks like Peter Jackson saved some of the best imagery for the finale... I love that image of Aragorn on his steed, leading the army. The good news for you, however, is that New Line Cinema is giving away 25 of these exclusive, extremely limited edition posters. All you have to do is enter.

5/03/00 - What's there to say about this third film in a series that we haven't even seen the first of yet? That it's the big finale? Well, of course it is. That this one has the big battle scenes that are hinted at in the trailer at the official site? That's true. That this may be the most successful film of the first several months of 2004? That's probably true as well, but how many people are worrying about 2004 at this point? No, I think I'll just defer my comments on this third film for now, perhaps until I've seen the first. We'll see.

Page Created: 5/31/00

Back