Best parody?

Pride and Prejudice and Hookers

The Invisible Man Meets the Woman's swim team

The 5th Element has some really good opportunities

Blazing Saddles (No need to rename it)

Hung Frankenstein. The brain isn't the only thing that's abby normal.

Forbidden Fruit Planet. Morbius: "Gentlemen, this is my daughter, Altaira. Altaira, why aren't you dressed?"

Alien. In space, no one can see you cream.

Sperminator. "It can't be reasoned with. It will not stop, until you are pregnant!"

Best sex scenes in a movie?
Anything with a woman proudly enjoying her sex life and not putting herself or anyone else down. As long it’s in a way that doesn’t hurt others or fetishize denial of freedom, and it’s something legal, consensual, and fun, it’s something I appreciate.

Poor Things is the most recent film I can remember that does all this well.

I like me a sex scene, but tonally this was totally out of keeping with the rest of the movie.
I don't agree but super-obviously you're not an example of the trope.

People who thought the scene didn't fit, we can have a conversation. And we will, if you wish it and if I have time (not a certainty, but a possibility).

People who think sex scenes are evil, it's a whole different ballgame. There's a distinction.

I don't agree but super-obviously you're not an example of the trope.

People who thought the scene didn't fit, we can have a conversation. And we will, if you wish it and if I have time (not a certainty, but a possibility).

People who think sex scenes are evil, it's a whole different ballgame. There's a distinction.
I love sex scenes and I love Florence - has to be something else that jarred with me

I think probably knowing a bit about the Manhattan Project and also about Oppenheimer’s relationship with Tatlock. I thought it was dumbed down and also I found the idea of her killing herself because of him made her just another woman depending on a man. That wasn’t her. And she had many mental problems that led to her suicide. Oppenheimer was way down the list.

As I say, much as I like Nolan, he’s bad with woman characters.

Emily

I think probably knowing a bit about the Manhattan Project and also about Oppenheimer’s relationship with Tatlock. I thought it was dumbed down and also I found the idea of her killing herself because of him made her just another woman depending on a man.

I actually remember the movie implying pretty heavily that the real cause of her death was murder, b/c the intelligence apparatus distrusted the combination of her ideology and her access to Oppenheimer, w/ the suicide likely being a cover story. I also thought Pugh did a pretty solid job of making it super-duper clear that Tatlock had Shit Going On that really had nothing at all to do with Oppenheimer.

There are of course many possible versions of the story of Tatlock and Oppenheimer, ranging from the passionate affair we see in the movie to a single mostly uneventful meeting. I don't blame Nolan for going with "passionate affair," and to whatever extent the movie is about Tatlock's impact on Oppenheimer rather than about Tatlock herself, I do think the movie actually does get to be primarily about its title character.

Nolan is of course a pretty masculine-focused filmmaker, there's no denying that. That said, I also do think his female characters are considerably less two-dimensional than his detractors are often wont to claim. (This even goes for Mal in Inception, who is literally and explicitly the protagonist's two-dimensional recollection of a much more complete person.) A lot of this is down to the high quality of the actresses he casts rather than necessarily being intrinsic to how the story is written, but granting that... he still did in fact cast and direct those actresses.

Last edited:
I actually remember the movie implying pretty heavily that the real cause of her death was murder, b/c the intelligence apparatus distrusted the combination of her ideology and her access to Oppenheimer, w/ the suicide likely being a cover story. I also thought Pugh did a pretty solid job of making it super-duper clear that Tatlock had Shit Going On that really had nothing at all to do with Oppenheimer.

There are of course many possible versions of the story of Tatlock and Oppenheimer, ranging from the passionate affair we see in the movie to a single mostly uneventful meeting. I don't blame Nolan for going with "passionate affair," and to whatever extent the movie is about Tatlock's impact on Oppenheimer rather than about Tatlock herself, I do think the movie actually does get to be primarily about its title character.

Nolan is of course a pretty masculine-focused filmmaker, there's no denying that. That said, I also do think his female characters are considerably less two-dimensional than his detractors are often wont to claim. (This even goes for Mal in Inception, who is literally and explicitly the protagonist's two-dimensional recollection of a much more complete person.) A lot of this is down to the high quality of the actresses he casts rather than necessarily being intrinsic to how the story is written, but granting that... he still did in fact cast and direct those actresses.
He casts excellent actresses, then doesn’t use their skills. Natalie in Mememto being an exception.

Tatlock didn’t need a conspiracy theory, she sadly had a longstanding record of mental health problems. I know directors and writers make things larger than life, but I have no idea why how Nolan handled this contributed to the movie.

A matter of personal opinion obviously. Florence is gorgeous and a very good actress. Loved The Little Drummer Girl (and Alex in that as well 🥰) and she totally upstaged ScarJo in the otherwise dire Black Widow (last Marvel movie I watched). Just felt her role in Oppenheimer was “must tick the nude female box.”

As for the orgasmic Bhagavad Gita quote? No witnesses recall Oppenheimer using that on July 16 1945. It seems Oppenheimer came up with it at some later date.

In general I loved the movie. But nothing is perfect.

Emily

Tatlock didn’t need a conspiracy theory, she sadly had a longstanding record of mental health problems. I know directors and writers make things larger than life, but I have no idea why how Nolan handled this contributed to the movie.
I thought he handled it pretty well. We don't get a totally definitive answer to the murder/suicide question, for example, just images of how Oppenheimer imagines it might have gone down, one of which is murder. (Apparently IRL the murder theory is unlikely.) It's certainly not as cut and dried as her being some mere dependent female who was there for nude eye candy and then killed herself over Oppenheimer. I know That Sex Scene takes up a lot of mental real estate for people but there's more in the performance.

If Pugh's performance in Oppenheimer is an example of Nolan casting her and then not using her skills, I honestly don't know what standard she's being held to? *shrug* As you say, it's a matter of opinion. The specific choices involved of course reflect the perspective of the biographical book they're adapting.
As for the orgasmic Bhagavad Gita quote? No witnesses recall Oppenheimer using that on July 16 1945. It seems Oppenheimer came up with it at some later date.
To its credit, the film doesn't show him using it then either. It just makes a (fictionalized) case for why it came to mind for him whenever it did.

I thought he handled it pretty well. We don't get a totally definitive answer to the murder/suicide question, for example, just images of how Oppenheimer imagines it might have gone down, one of which is murder. (Apparently IRL the murder theory is unlikely.) It's certainly not as cut and dried as her being some mere dependent female who was there for nude eye candy and then killed herself over Oppenheimer. I know That Sex Scene takes up a lot of mental real estate for people but there's more in the performance.

If Pugh's performance in Oppenheimer is an example of Nolan casting her and then not using her skills, I honestly don't know what standard she's being held to? *shrug* As you say, it's a matter of opinion. The specific choices involved of course reflect the perspective of the biographical book they're adapting.

To its credit, the film doesn't show him using it then either. It just makes a (fictionalized) case for why it came to mind for him whenever it did.
I’m kinda thinking we saw a different movie - totally possible for two people to have a different experience of the same thing.

Emily

Haven't had a chance to watch the film yet (I have a TBW pile as well as a TBR pile), but I always appreciated Kenneth Bainbridge's quote after the Trinity test as more poignant: "Now we are all sons of bitches."

Haven't had a chance to watch the film yet (I have a TBW pile as well as a TBR pile), but I always appreciated Kenneth Bainbridge's quote after the Trinity test as more poignant: "Now we are all sons of bitches."
Yeah - and that is corroborated by witnesses

Emily

I’m kinda thinking we saw a different movie - totally possible for two people to have a different experience of the same thing.
Salute at any rate to someone who is clearly a true Oppenheimer nerd. Your nerd-fu on the topic clearly exceeds mine, and I respect that. I'm just responding to the movie as one member of the popcorn-munching masses.

Nolan is a great director, but he has no clue about women
Plus, he got an Irish guy to play a Jewish guy. A bit like getting a white guy to play Martin Luther King in my opinion. Actors like John Turturro can manage it, but I thought Murphy was awful, didn't get it at all, and completely unbelievable; he ruined the movie for me. Can't understand the praise the movie got.

Anything with a woman proudly enjoying her sex life and not putting herself or anyone else down. As long it’s in a way that doesn’t hurt others or fetishize denial of freedom, and it’s something legal, consensual, and fun, it’s something I appreciate.

Poor Things is the most recent film I can remember that does all this well.
I wanted to see this in the cinema, but I didn't have anyone to see it with that I thought might like it. I have to try and rent it on Prime or something.

Back