The Gambler's Ruin - (Closed)

She smiled and laughed softly despite her nerves as she followed Martin around the side of the house, deciding to occupy the back for a little privacy. "It has become well...increasingly obvious that Derry and Millie want us to be togetherIdon't know how you feel on the subject precisely, but...I...I feel as though you could do so much better than me."

She glanced up at him briefly, then looked away, looking at the ground as they walked. "I've been married, I'm not a v-virgin and well...I've been through some things I'd rather not even discuss. Yet, I feel like I already belong here...it's confusing. I look at you and I feel safe and yet, on the other hand, I want to run like hell the other way."

She let out a soft strained laugh and hugged herself. "I guess I just wanted to know how you felt...truly. I'm not good at guessing these things. Obviously from my past, I'm horrible at figuring out what a man truly wants."

Martin listened as Kate explained her fears and worries to him, the dawning revelation of it all forming a growing grin on his lips. "Bless you, Kate, I've been holding back my feelings the best I could since the moment you touched me." Martin chuckled softly, looking into her eyes deeply for a moment. "Sorry, I don't mean to laugh, but I though you were afraid of me, and honestly, I've been struggling with some things myself... So, you're not afraid of me, you're afraid of yourself? Thats fair. I think I feel something similar... You're a fine, strong woman, and I don't want to go comparing you to Maeridd, thats just terribly unfair to you. So there, thats whats been troubling me..."

He looked ahead as they walked along together, lost in thought for a moment before he chuckled again and glanced at Kate. "We've both been married and neither one of us can truly claim innocence now, can we?" He said teasingly, stopping her with a gently hand on her arm and turning her to face him. He slowly drew close to her, his eyes almost shining in the light of the sunset. "No sense in letting fear stop us from grasping what little pleasure we can while we're alive, is there?" He said softly as his breath farmed her face. "Kiss me, Kate." He whispered, leaning in to press his lips to hers.

Kate wasn't sure how to react. His warmth felt good and her pulse picked up. Though not innocent in her mind, there were so many things that Kate waa unfamiliar with. The idea of kissinf broughy back some not so pleasant memories. But this was Martin...and he was letting her take some control.

Taking a deep breath Kate spread her fingers over his broad chest and stopped herself from shying away. Slowly she leaned in, prepping herself for the brutal press of his lips. The mashing od his mouth and teeth that would bruise her lips.

Squeezing her eyes shut, she gripped his shirt as their lips met. Only it was nothing like what she had expected. Her body slowly pressed against his own as his hands gently pressed into her back. His lips drew back, then pressed in again. A soft brush against her own.

Slowly and tenderly, Martin deepened their shared kiss as he felt her melt into him. Another soft brush of his lips to coax her in closer, the dew of his hot breath moistening her tender lips before he tasted them like supple-sweet cherries. He lingered for a long moment before resting his brow against hers and drawing his lips away from hers reluctantly. "Mercy..." He whispered hot and huskily against her lips before blindly seeking their sweetness again.

Kate felt a little off kilter, her fingers curling all the more tightly into Martin's shirt as he drew back and then pressed back in, his kiss this time a little more fierce and passionate. Her knees trembled and heat pooled low in her belly, making her ache in a way she wasn't accustomed to.

The moist kisses seemed to go on and on, until she felt the gentle swipe of his tongue lick the seem of her lips. She tensed for only a fraction of a moment before opening up to him and was rewarded by the slow exploration and taste of him.

A soft whimper caught in her throat as her tongue shyly met his, her body melting against his own.

Martin embraced Kate fully as she melted into him and softly whimpered, he sighed in return. He held her up with one hand gently resting at the small of her back and the other caressing the nape of her neck. As their kiss flowed on and doubled sensuously over itself, they began to slowly sink toward the soft, lush, grassy ground.

Finally Kate lay, stretched out on her back and Martin drew warmly to one side of her. He, never breaking their kiss, slowly, teasingly laced his fingers through her hair, above her head as it spilled out over the grass. His other hand, that had only moments ago rested supportively at the small of her back slowly drifted around the curve of her hip to the small of her belly. He covered her like a warm blanket of desire.

Kate was shyly slid her hands higher, over his shoulders, wrapping her arms around him. One delicate hand slid up the nape of his neck and gently toyed with the hair there...sifting through the strands that were surprisingly soft.

Each sweet kiss made her hunger for more. Her body seemed to hum, aware of herself, aware of him. Her breasts ached and nipples pushed against the soft lining of her dress and inside her womb clenched. She squirmed, moaning softly and loving the way he touched her.

She felt his fingers spread over her belly and a shriek of laughter pierced the air, bringing her back to some reality. Breaking off, she blew out a breath and gazed up at him. His eyes were dark and a little glassy with desire. It again, excited her, but also brought in some fear. "We should..*****bably stop." She said softly. "But..." She added with a small shy smile, her skin already warm and flushed. "I enjoyed that."

Martin drew his lips away in surprise at her sudden laughter. The look on his face was precious, a mixture of passionate hunger and startled concern as he searched her face. Slowly his lips curled up into a smirk as Kate whispered softly that they should probably stop, but that she enjoyed their kiss.

He nodded slowly, still wearing that slightly mischevious grin as he leaned in to kiss her brow. "Maybe..." He said, liking it, he kissed the tip of her nose. "We..." Then the slender point of her chin, drawing a giggle from her. "Should..." He growled softly and gave in to his urges fully and nuzzled against her neck, opening his mouth to taste her skin with a deep groan of desire, illiciting another fit of laughter from Kate's lips as she gently pushed him away.

They fixed eyes for a long moment, their shared mirth drifting away as they they spoke volumes to one another without a single word. Martin slipped into a smile of contentment as he slowly shifted his eyes up toward the west. "Kate... Look..." He whispered, pointing toward the sunset as it slowly began to slip below the horizon, a bright, golden orb of light.

Kate looked to where he was pointing and smiled. The sky was turning the most beautiful shades of orange, pink and soft yellows. “It's beautiful.” She murmured and sighed, snuggling up to him as he held her close still. His lips brushed her cheek and slid down to nibble on her ear.

The small teasing action elicited a soft gasp as pleasure rushed down her spine and a burst of tingles washed over her. He seemed to enjoy her reactions, smiling down at her as she caught her breath. She flushed softly. “I never knew that kissing could be so...enjoyable.” she confessed, distracted by him more than the beautiful sunset.

She traced his lips with the tip of her finger and grinned as he nipped the tip and then kissed it better. “Maybe we should go in and have some coffee. Or see if the others are staying out of trouble...”

Martin considered Kates suggestion for a moment before replying. "What if I wanted to stay out here with you until the stars came out?" He asked with a suggestive grin as he propped his head on his hand, planting his elbow in the grass and slowly looking down the length of her body as she lay peacefully next to him. He drew his hand up along her stomach and played with the lace tie of her blouse as if he were trying to undo it. "Wouldn't it be peculiar if we were the ones caught foolin around." He teased, looking into her eyes. He seemed half serious about it.

Kate let out a soft giggled, feeling a little breathless as she felt his hand move up to toy with the laces of her dress. A small quiver of nerves made her stomach clench and her pulse skitter as she gazed up at his playful smile.

She regarded him with an amused look on her face for a moment, before it turned a little curious. "This will sound silly, but..." She cleared her throat lightly moistened her bottom lip with the tip of her tongue. "What does...fooling around consist of?"

Her beautiful, innocent eyes gazed up at him, anxiously waiting for the answer even if she did feel like a fool for asking it. However, kissing had been nothing like Wilson had show her. And she couldn't recall one single time he'd asked her to 'fool around', so she wanted to be sure.

Last edited:
Martin smirked, glad she'd asked as he began to draw the lace of her blouse undone. "I could show you..." He whispered, his eyes full of hunger as they drifted to the curve of her breast. He moistened his lips as he leaned over her and breathed his warm breath against her shoulder. His lips pressed against the top of her left breast and he opened his mouth, tasting her with his tongue as his other hand slipped under the loose fabric of her blouse and he gently caressed her right breast in his palm. His eyes shifted up to look into her face as he growled softly against her skin, grinning.

Kate gasped, too surprised to stop him from parting her shirt and kissing her exposed flesh. She stiffed, then moaned softly and arched up instead of fighting him. One hand curled in the grass beside her and the other slipped around his shoulder and held onto his shirt.

"Oh!" The soft gasp brought a grin to his face as he looked up at her with those sparkling eyes.

She jerked slightly at the unfamiliar sensation of his hand gently cupping her breast and caressing it, her nipple turning into a hard peak against his palm, sensitive and achy for more. "Martin..." She whispered. "I...d-don't k-know what I should be doing." She stuttered, blushing brightly, but enjoying the new sensations he was creating.

Martin thrilled at Kates reaction, unintentionally chuckling over her uncertainty of what to do. "Do you want me to stop?" He asked, knowing in his heart that she didn't, but asking anyway, just to tease her a little. He fondled her breast and lightly pinched her erect nipple, delighting in how easily her body responded to his touch.

He sat up for a moment and looked around, as if he was making sure they were alone and no one would catch them being 'bad', then looked back into Kates eyes, his hand slipping from her breast. He grinned, almost evilly and began scooting down, beside her, drawing her blouse untucked from her skirt, baring her belly to the setting warmth of the golden sun.

He looked upon her bare skin and finally saw what she'd been hiding, the fading bruises Wilson had inflicted upon her. They were nearly gone already, but still visible, and Martin stared at them, stunned for a moment. "Kate... Oh, Kate..." He whispered, shaking his head as his glossy eyes shifted to meet hers. She instinctively tried to draw her shirt back down, but he stopped her. "Don't..." He whispered, his voice full of empathy. She was frozen with fear, shame and embarassment as he lowered his head to her belly, and kissed her gently, tenderly.

Kate tried to swallow the lump that had formed in her throat as Martin dipped down to kiss her belly tenderly. She flinched, but not out of pain, a wash of shame chilling her warm body in an instant.

She made a soft sound of protest as he held her hands down, keeping her from closing her shirt. Don't...please..." She whispered, her voice wavering as she tried to fight back the sudden need to cry.

Emotions welled up in her throat as she tried to sit and push him away, but he only held her still, his eyes looking back at hers with such sweet concern. "I'm sorry...maybe this was a bad idea." She chocked out, trembling as she drew one hand away to grasp her shirt and shut it.

Martin lowered his eyes in thought for a moment, letting her draw her blouse down and sit up before shaking his head. "No, it wasn't..." He said with confidence as he gently lifted her chin to meet his gaze. His eyes were glossy, but his lips were set in a line between smiling and a frown. "Nothing he ever did to you was your fault, Kate... Come on, Darlin, let it out, stop holding back..." Martin whispered, drawing Kate into his lap.

Kate shook her head, but Martin was insistent and before she could stop him, she found herself being lifted and deposited onto his lap. She let out a soft mewl, unable to talk, her throat tight. Why did he have to be so damn sweet!? She drew in a shaky breath and squeaked as his hands gently caressed her back, slipping under her shirt to touch her bare skin.

Unable to hand the flood of different feelings, Kate buried her face against his shoulder and clung. Her breath shuddered out, followed by a long held back sob. Her control broke as he gathered her closer and continued to caress her gently, making her feel loved and secure.

She cried for the years she'd suffered, for the loss of her family, for the youth that had gone wasted feeling hungry, scared and hurt. Who would have thought that losing a bet and what she thought would be the most horrible night of her life to date would turn into finding a man like Martin.

"There now, darlin, let it out..." Martin urged gently as he held her and rocked her in his arms. He didn't hush her, or stifle her need to cry in any way, he just let her go on as long as she needed to, being there for her the best he could.

Around the front of the house where Millie and Blake still played their innocent game of chase, Millie stopped suddenly and cocked her head. "I've got you now!" Blake exclaimed, tossing his arms out to catch her, but she acted faster than he had expected her to and ducked under his grasp, dashing off behind the house. Millie came to peeking around the corner at them some distance away, and Martin saw her looking on in concern before smiling with a quick nod before she disappeared behind the house again, leaving them be. She went zipping past Blake again, but he caught her about the waist and they went rolling into the grass, the two of them laughing while Derry watched on from the porch, shaking his head with good humor. There laughter was a heart warming echo to Martin as he continued to hold Kate, kissing her bare skin before resting his head on her shoulder as she cried into his chest.

Kate cried until there were no more tears to cry and she sagged against Martin, feeling completely wasted. She was exhausted, soft hiccups following her soft breaths as she tried to calm herself. Martin continued to hold her gently, rocking a little until she finally regained some composure.

Pulling away slightly, she wiped at her cheeks, her nose red, her eyes swollen and red-rimmed. “Sorry. I didn't mean for all that to come out.” She breathed, a small shudder shaking her body. “Your shirt...” She hiccups, smoothing a hand helplessly over his wet shoulder and then fell against him, hugging him fiercely. Her heart ached, wanting so badly to be filled with joy and laughter and love again.

“Will you stay with me tonight? Please?” She asked, feeling ridiculous that she was a grown woman begging him to share her bed, but needing him to stay close.

"You needed to let it out..." Martin said with a soft smile as he looked down at his shirt. He chuckled as she ran her hand over the damp spot on it. "It alright Kate. I, uh..." He was thrown by her sudden embrace and request that he spend the night with her. "Sure Kate, I'll stay with you tonight." He consented after only a moments thought and kissed her softly on the top of her head.

He turned with her in his arms to admire the last few minutes of the setting sun as it slipped below the horizon. He sighed as the first light of the stars began to show, and pointed them out to her, the few he knew before asking her if she wanted to stay and watch them a bit longer, or if she wanted to head in as it was growing a little chilly.

Kate relaxed against him, knowing that she probably looked a mess, but after all that crying, she was too tired to really care. Leaning against his broad chest, she found herself gazing up at the sky as well, until it darkened and the first stars began to appear.

“It's beautiful.” She murmured softly and yawned.

In the background, she heard Derry calling for Millie and Blake, announcing it was time to say goodbyes for the evening. She could practically imagine Blake's disappointement, but the poor boy was probably worn out anyway. “Do you think he ever caught her?” she asked Martin, a small smile curving her mouth.

"If he did, it was only cause she let him." Martin said, giving Kate a knowing grin. It was then, that a wagon came driving up the path from town to deliver Kate's fabric they'd bought earlier. Millie rushed out to them and excitedly helped carry in part of the delivery. In short order Blake was offered a ride back home. He stood in front of Millie, the two of them suddenly shy again as he hesitantly said good night. Millie looked over at Kate and Martin where they sat and was inspired to lean in and give him a quick kiss on the cheek before dashing off into the house, giggling.

Kate giggled and stood, tucking in her shirt and making short work of lacing everything up, patting her hair. Martin leaned down as she smoothed her skirt, telling her she looked just fine. “I look a mess, don't lie.”

She smiled at Blake who whooped and jumped onto the wagon, waving goodbye to them and giggled. “Well, they are cute...”

Linking her arm with his, she leaned into his body as they slowly strolled back. Millie was nowhere to be found and Derry had made himself scarce, leaving the two to themselves. Feeling suddenly shy again, Kate began to question her earlier question for him to stay the night...but she didn't want to back down either. She yearned to keep him close so she could feel at ease. When he looked at her, she felt like herself again. Not the beaten down, half starved girl who was used for money.

“I know it's not really right...us staying together tonight...I don't want to set a bad example for Millie you're concerned...” She let her words trail off, unsure of how to put things.

"Well, alright then, but even a mess, you look beautiful to me." Martin whispered as they linked arms as they casually walked back toward the house. "What's so wrong with it if we do?" Martin asked. "If we shared a bed, we don't necessarily have to make love. Even then, you know there are ways to make love that don't put you at risk of comming to be with child. If you would have me, I can show you." Martin said with a definate hint of desire in his husky voice.

"And as far as Millie goes, getting a bad impression from two grown ups expressing their feelings for one another in such a way? Well... Lets just say that all the Dugan women are wise far beyond their years, almost to the point of the mystical really. She probably wonders why it's taken us so long to see what she no doubt saw from the moment we rode in just a few days ago. Thats not to say that she's not as innocent as a flower though. So, if you're concerned about it, I will understand. It's really up to you Kate... I can leave you be, I can keep you safe and warm, or I can love you through the night, but I will only do so much as you desire." He paused for a moment, taking on that same mischevious look as before, out on the lawn. "But I sorely want to love you." He whispered in her ear.

His words and husky tone made her quiver inside and Kate wasn't quite sure what to make of it all. She'd loved what he'd done earlier...it had been so different. Felt so good. But she felt a little like a fish out of water, unsure of what to do to make it nice for him.

"I'm not sure what I want..." She replied, keeping her voice low so that no one could pick up on their conversation. "I liked what we shared, it's just...very new to me."

She watched him tilt his head slightly as he regarded her, still smiling, but wondering she knew. Slipping her hand down to his, she squeezed his fingers, nervously moistening her lips again. "Will you...stop, if I feel it's too much?" She asked him. Feeling silly for even asking. In her experience, once a man got started, there was no stopping. Wilson had shown her that.

Back