The "Fuck you cancer!" thread

Today marks 3 years since my father in law passed away and my husband deals with his loss by making himself busy. He doesn't realize how often I catch him going to the garage to stare at his Dads car, which is now ours. My husband spent months restoring this for him before he passed away and it was the greatest gift my father in law had ever been given. His face was priceless when we gave this to him.

Before Restoration

After Restoration

To Those Who Love Us...

Sometimes we get tunnel vision; we forget the effect this cell fucker has on those who love us. Our mates, our family, our friends, they suffer for us and themselves. As we concentrate on the next step, the next treatment, the horrific side effects, we forget that they are there with us. We forget how powerless they feel, how they watch us change before their eyes. They see us become weaker, thinner; they watch us drift off in the middle of a conversation because we are so tired. They deal with the changes in us, the loss of hair, the loss of appetite, the vomiting, the mood swings, and too many others to mention; yet they act as if it’s no big deal.

But I’ve been on their side of this battle, so I know it is a big deal.

The emotions our loved ones feel can be as devastating as the physical changes we go through. The helplessness, the frustration, the fear, and for some the steeling themselves for the inevitable. For when the battle is fought we don’t always win.

For those of you who love us, thank you. Thank you for loving us. Thank you for helping us keep a sense of normal. Thank you for standing beside us and helping us stand when we can’t.

It would be so much harder without you with us.

Edited to add A big thank you to MWY.

Last edited:
Not really. Just go through the motions

:( I am sorry to hear that. We did a lot of juicing with high calorie stuff to help my Dad when he didn't feel like eating. Sometimes sipping on cold fluids helped him feel better. He also took Clariton 24 hours before Chemo and it actually helped some of the side effects pass sooner (recommended by his Dr.) My Mom had heart attacks and Strokes before she passed, so I got good at making icky things taste good. ;) I'm a big herbalist now too. I like smoothies myself.

:( I am sorry to hear that. We did a lot of juicing with high calorie stuff to help my Dad when he didn't feel like eating. Sometimes sipping on cold fluids helped him feel better. He also took Clariton 24 hours before Chemo and it actually helped some of the side effects pass sooner (recommended by his Dr.) My Mom had heart attacks and Strokes before she passed, so I got good at making icky things taste good. ;) I'm a big herbalist now too. I like smoothies myself.

My appetite isn't bad, it is more just the feeling of being lethargic

I'm back but this time it's not for myself.

About ten days ago my first-born complained of pain in his testicles. We took him to the ER where, after some blood work and an ultrasound, a doctor told us he had found a testicular cancer. Two days later we met with a urologist and the next day the urologist removed the offending dangly bit. Two days later there was a CT scan and then by Friday of last week, a complete diagnosis. The surgery had removed all of the cancer plus it was a type that very rarely metastasizes. In several weeks he'll probably do a course of radiation therapy and then be done with it for the rest of his life. It was a most difficult week but we're mostly back to normal. If I seem to have been a bit distracted recently, this is probably why.

About ten days ago my first-born complained of pain in his testicles. We took him to the ER where, after some blood work and an ultrasound, a doctor told us he had found a testicular cancer. Two days later we met with a urologist and the next day the urologist removed the offending dangly bit. Two days later there was a CT scan and then by Friday of last week, a complete diagnosis. The surgery had removed all of the cancer plus it was a type that very rarely metastasizes. In several weeks he'll probably do a course of radiation therapy and then be done with it for the rest of his life. It was a most difficult week but we're mostly back to normal. If I seem to have been a bit distracted recently, this is probably why.

MWY, I'm so sorry you and your family had to go through this hell.

I am very, very happy that your son had such a wonderful outcome. :rose::heart::rose:

I wish I could drink heavily in a comfortable setting with you all. Thank you.

We knew this would happen once her cancer returned. It stayed along the spine for awhile. Not now.

It's hard to accept.

FYC.

A little late, I'm afraid. I've been off the board. But...I'm so sorry, DGE. :rose:

Thank you. It was an intense period and I'm very glad it's mostly over.

I'm so glad it turned out to be an easily treatable form of cancer, and that his journey from diagnosis to surgery to treatment has been so quick. :)

Best wishes for his speedy recovery! :rose:

I'm so glad it turned out to be an easily treatable form of cancer, and that his journey from diagnosis to surgery to treatment has been so quick. :)

Best wishes for his speedy recovery! :rose:

I'm pretty amazed at how well the hospital system here responded in his case. Now if I can just get him off my damned couch and back into his bed at night. It's hard on my sex life, which doesn't require any additional challenges at the moment, thank you very much.

Sometimes we get tunnel vision; we forget the effect this cell fucker has on those who love us. Our mates, our family, our friends, they suffer for us and themselves. As we concentrate on the next step, the next treatment, the horrific side effects, we forget that they are there with us. We forget how powerless they feel, how they watch us change before their eyes. They see us become weaker, thinner; they watch us drift off in the middle of a conversation because we are so tired. They deal with the changes in us, the loss of hair, the loss of appetite, the vomiting, the mood swings, and too many others to mention; yet they act as if it’s no big deal.

The emotions our loved ones feel can be as devastating as the physical changes we go through. The helplessness, the frustration, the fear, and for some the steeling themselves for the inevitable. For when the battle is fought we don’t always win.

For those of you who love us, thank you. Thank you for loving us. Thank you for helping us keep a sense of normal. Thank you for standing beside us and helping us stand when we can’t.

Amen!!

Thank you so much for posting this, reds. It's something that I needed to hear right about now. :rose:

Amen to that, Yank. Ok to exhale now. :rose:

I'm not so good at this tonight...sigh, just tired, I guess.
(about 6 times to get this post somewhat correct.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
thanks redslady.

So beautifully said. My thanks to you for being so eloquent in your statement and supportive of those of us on the "other side" of the disease.

Like everything else in life, it's a little easier when we work together with support, understanding, and love. Many times, during the time of our fight against cancer, we argue, we fight, we find things that piss us off or make us mad; then we realize how small those issues are and it reinforces the importance of our primary issue. We are here to support each other, to do our part, to love each other, and to fight a united front against the real enemy, the cancer.

FYC

midwestyankee, glad to hear things went well for your son. Thoughts and prayers are sent his way and to you and your family.

Well said

Just wanted to stop in and say hello and that I'm still here, though not on Lit much these days. I miss the old man like crazy; I still catch myself searching ahead as I drive down our street to see if he's sitting out on the front porch smoking, book/Kindle in hand. I read something online or hear some bit of news on the radio and the first thought that enters my mind is sharing it with him. That letdown when I realize he's gone is still there, but the pain is a dull ache most days.

I've met a very sweet guy, nice but most definitely vanilla, and we've struck up a friendship. That's all it is for now although I am quite fond of him. We're both dealing with loss and it's too soon to say whether anything will come of this. It makes me smile though, because all I can think about is talking it over with SW. It's such an odd thought but so natural to me. He was wonderfully wise and I miss his insight and love and all the little gestures that made him, him.

To those who are still fighting and to your families, I give you my love. It is a hard road but I will never regret traveling it with him.

:rose: YK

Just wanted to stop in and say hello and that I'm still here, though not on Lit much these days. I miss the old man like crazy; I still catch myself searching ahead as I drive down our street to see if he's sitting out on the front porch smoking, book/Kindle in hand. I read something online or hear some bit of news on the radio and the first thought that enters my mind is sharing it with him. That letdown when I realize he's gone is still there, but the pain is a dull ache most days.

I've met a very sweet guy, nice but most definitely vanilla, and we've struck up a friendship. That's all it is for now although I am quite fond of him. We're both dealing with loss and it's too soon to say whether anything will come of this. It makes me smile though, because all I can think about is talking it over with SW. It's such an odd thought but so natural to me. He was wonderfully wise and I miss his insight and love and all the little gestures that made him, him.

To those who are still fighting and to your families, I give you my love. It is a hard road but I will never regret traveling it with him.

*hugs*

:rose:

Big hug. He was wonderfully wise :)

Back