The Fate of the Nation

JackLuis

Literotica Guru
With all the ruckus about Trumpski and the future in 2020, the fate of the nation is in the Senate.
Shoud the Dem's win they could control the Presidency even if Liz doesn't win!

The Battle for the Senate

Rolling Stone reports on the Republican problem in 2020.

Winning back the chamber is just as important as retaking the White House. But can Democrats wrest control from the GOP?

The fight to dislodge Donald Trump from the presidency has sparked unprecedented interest in the 2020 Democratic primary, drawing dozens of candidates, including no fewer than seven sitting senators. But the fight to wrest the Senate from Republican control — and oust Mitch McConnell as majority leader — is arguably just as important. Take it from Amy McGrath, the former Marine fighter pilot aiming to win McConnell’s Kentucky Senate seat, who sees curbing McConnell’s power as essential to healing our republic. “He’s the epitome of Washington dysfunction, everything we hate about politics,” she says. “You cannot drain the swamp until you get rid of Mitch McConnell.

The stakes could hardly be higher. Unless Democrats flip the Senate, the grand plans of the presidential candidates are dead on arrival. Capturing the chamber is just as crucial if Trump is re-elected; it would give Democrats control of the legislative agenda, budget, and judicial confirmations, ending McConnell’s reign as Trump’s rubber stamp. “I’m not sure McConnell sees the Congress anymore as an independent branch of government,” says Sen. Doug Jones, an Alabama Democrat, “but simply to be there for the president.”

A good rundown on all 20 seats the Republicans have to defend, or die in 2020.

Go, Go, Go, McGrath!

If the Senate doesn’t flip in 2020, chances look pretty good that it will in 2022, especially if there’s a big turnout.

One thing to remember: in most election years, most hotly contested Senate races end up going the same way. Last year was actually kind of an anomaly in that respect, but it was also unusual in that the Democrats had twice as many seats to defend as the Republicans did; it's hardly ever that lopsided. So chances are next year, the Dems will either end up with more gains than they really need, or they'll fall far short. It's much too early to tell which.

I see two events that determined the fate of the USA in my lifetime, in 1984 and and 2016.

Reagan's reelection by a blowout margin let him double down on his energy policy of scrapping Carter's attempts at conservation. Restarting those attempts won't happen, because the implementation takes decades and we spent those decades and that energy not doing it. Adapting to energy scarcity decades too late will be the biggest clusterfuck in American history, an escalating disaster for the remainder of the nation's lifespan.

Trump's election probably prevented a civil war or insurgency. I'm glad we dodged that bullet, but we won't dodge the wrecking ball that the nation chose 35 years ago.

‘It was Russia’: Chris Wallace gives live fact check to GOP senator who says Ukraine could have hacked election

Sen. John Kennedy (R-LA) was corrected by Fox News host Chris Wallace on Sunday after he said Ukraine could have been behind interference in the 2016 U.S. election.

During an interview on FOX News Sunday, host Chris Wallace noted that President Donald Trump and his supporters have wrongly said that Ukraine could be behind the 2016 election interference.

“Was it Russia or Ukraine?” Wallace asked Kennedy after noting that Fiona Hill had rebuked GOP lawmakers for suggesting Ukraine was behind the attack.

“I don’t know,” Kennedy replied. “Nor do you, nor do any of us, nor do any of us.”

Sen Kennedy is an example of the derangement of the Senate that needs to be adjusted.

Does he think that the huge amounts we spend each year on the Intel budgets is simply a boondoggle to keep idiots employed and off the street? I'm sure they will tell him if he just ... you know... asks! :rolleyes:

Sen Kennedy is an example of the derangement of the Senate that needs to be adjusted.

Does he think that the huge amounts we spend each year on the Intel budgets is simply a boondoggle to keep idiots employed and off the street? I'm sure they will tell him if he just ... you know... asks! :rolleyes:

I suspect Kennedy knows the truth, and just wants to muddy the waters. Remember, it's not about convincing everyone that their bullshit is true, it's just about sowing the seeds of doubt and making enough people wonder if there might be something to it.

Back