The AH Coffee Shop and Reading Room 09

Buddy and I shared a beef roast for dinner. I fried some cabbage to make it like an Irishman for my plate. Buddy got peas [green] and carrots for his bowl, making him an 'Irishhound' even though he is an English cocker.

The clouds wanted to rain today, but I think they forgot how. Mild overcast, 87F.
My English Cocker LOVES all kinds of veggies, carrots, lettuce, cabbage, etc. however his favorite is rice. He'll eat gravel if I mixed it up with rice.

Coffee is on!

Our previous Dalmatian had a thing for Brussels sprouts. C tried to plant a small patch, but as soon as the shoots hit 5-6", he ate the stalks down to the ground.

Brussels sprouts are an "eww" for a lot of people, but obviously they've never had them fresh, or only experienced them boiled. No wonder. Yuck. Roasted or raw! When we lived in the Bay Area we'd sometimes head down to Salinas Valley for several stalks when they were in season. Fresh? The farmer's stand was next to the field. C makes a dynamite Brussels sprouts cole slaw.

Yeah, nah...

A friend of mine lived next to a market garden which grew brussel sprouts. They stunk.

I found some chocolate covered coffee beans while searching for peanuts for Bec. They count as dessert, don't they? 🤪

Our previous Dalmatian had a thing for Brussels sprouts. C tried to plant a small patch, but as soon as the shoots hit 5-6", he ate the stalks down to the ground.

Brussels sprouts are an "eww" for a lot of people, but obviously they've never had them fresh, or only experienced them boiled. No wonder. Yuck. Roasted or raw! When we lived in the Bay Area we'd sometimes head down to Salinas Valley for several stalks when they were in season. Fresh? The farmer's stand was next to the field. C makes a dynamite Brussels sprouts cole slaw.
My favourite recipe for Brussels sprouts: Set oven to 450F/230C. Wash, then peel off the outer leaves. Cut into halves (or quarters if they are large). Soak for 15-20 minutes in balsamic vinegar. Lightly shake off vinegar. Sprinkle with zatar, sumac, kosher salt and white pepper. Roast on parchment paper for 15 minutes. Now find a slingshot and fire the wretched things at the squirrels in your garden to keep them away from real food.

My favourite recipe for Brussels sprouts: Set oven to 450F/230C. Wash, then peel off the outer leaves. Cut into halves (or quarters if they are large). Soak for 15-20 minutes in balsamic vinegar. Lightly shake off vinegar. Sprinkle with zatar, sumac, kosher salt and white pepper. Roast on parchment paper for 15 minutes. Now find a slingshot and fire the wretched things at the squirrels in your garden to keep them away from real food.
Brussels sprouts aren't food. They're what food eats.
(the vinegar soak makes them sound edible!)

The University of NM men's BB team is seeded #11 and will play #6 Clemson in Memphis. Go Lobos!

The women's team, on the other hand, fell flat on their face in the conference tournament. They might be picked up by the WNIT, but I'd be surprised.
Our Lobos hosted the '83 NCAA finals and the upset of Houston by NC State ...
I was stationed at Kirkland AFB and attending UNM at the time ...

It's all John Wayne today on the Paramont Movie Channel
The Quiet Man
Rio Grande
Sons of Katie Elder
El Dorado
Donovan's Reef
Flying Tigers

How do they expect me to get any writing done???

Our Lobos hosted the '83 NCAA finals and the upset of Houston by NC State ...
I was stationed at Kirkland AFB and attending UNM at the time ...
That tournament was such a blast that Sports Illustrated named The Pit as one of the most memorable sports venues of the 20th Century. I didn't go to any of those games, but the whole city was very busy and excited while it was going on.

It was the first time that a lot of people tried green chile. We had dinner at Ron y Marcia's (fairly near the pit) with a foursome from North Carolina at the table next to us. Ron y Marcia's was well known for using especially hot chile, and the visitors couldn't eat it.

Ron y Marcia's was also well-known for the loud fights in the kitchen, so not long after that it became Ron sin Marcia, then just Ron's. The building's been torn down since then.

It's all John Wayne today on the Paramont Movie Channel
The Quiet Man
Rio Grande
Sons of Katie Elder
El Dorado
Donovan's Reef
Flying Tigers

How do they expect me to get any writing done???

Barely related, but...

Louise Brooks (one of my favorite roaring 20s personalities) costarred with John Wayne in the last film she did. It was a B-grade western early in Wayne's career. She thought he was a perfect gentleman, which might mean she didn't get laid.

Barely related, but...

Louise Brooks (one of my favorite roaring 20s personalities) costarred with John Wayne in the last film she did. It was a B-grade western early in Wayne's career. She thought he was a perfect gentleman, which might mean she didn't get laid.
or maybe she did!

John Wayne! One of my favourite sayings is from The Duke: Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday.

Sadly, we never seem to.

John Wayne! One of my favourite sayings is from The Duke: Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday.

Sadly, we never seem to.
The duke was much wiser than this generation give him credit for. Hell of a chess player too.

The University of NM men's BB team is seeded #11 and will play #6 Clemson in Memphis. Go Lobos!

The women's team, on the other hand, fell flat on their face in the conference tournament. They might be picked up by the WNIT, but I'd be surprised.
One of my Alma maters is hosting the first two rounds of the Women's NCAA tournament, and the men's NIT. The Women's games sold out in 15 minutes today.
I never expected to have gone to a basketball school...

One of my Alma maters is hosting the first two rounds of the Women's NCAA tournament, and the men's NIT. The Women's games sold out in 15 minutes today.
I never expected to have gone to a basketball school...
I'm glad to see the women's game in demand. In the early 2000's when UNM had a very successful women's program, we hosted the women's first round a couple times and the first and second rounds once. Blocks of tickets went to the competing schools, then the rest went on sale locally. I had season tickets, and season ticket holders got first dibs. I always got in. Most of the time, the competing schools wouldn't sell their blocks, and they'd be sold locally. We'd be hangin' folks from the rasters.

Wyoming was in one of those tournaments, and Wyoming was a team that the fans here always respected because they played hard, they played smart, and they played clean. When Wyoming played it was as loud as I've ever heard it. Wyoming was way overmatched in that game, but it wasn't decided until the last seconds.

Their very-respected coach resigned a few years ago and made a special point of thanking the UNM fans. Kinda made me choke up.

I'm glad to see the women's game in demand.
I never paid much attention to the basketball teams until last year. And it was the Women's team that was really the breakout. They went far in the big dance, mostly thanks to a center/guard duo. Both those ladies came back this year, so it's been pretty exciting. The men's team is middle of the road or worse. Course, when I went there, it was no kind of sports school at all. But a lot's changed over the past 25+ years.

I'll pull for your Lobos, unless they cross paths with my team.

Edit: it occurred to me about 2am that NWs Lobos and my team are playing in two different tournaments. So, yeah, no concerns about them playing each other...

Last edited:
I've twice listened to the news this week on my local radio station, and the obligatory sport news item at the end has been about women's football. It's a fascinating social change - wouldn't have happened even 5 years ago.

Not that I'm any more interested in it.

Quick! Coffee for OC, stat!
COFFEE'S ON! Here you go OC
the obligatory sport news item at the end has been about women's football
Is that round football or oblong football? I don't have a problem with woman playing round football but oblong football? They look so weird with those shoulder pads.

Happy Monday Tuesday! It's one of those weeks already...

COFFEE'S ON! Here you go OC

Is that round football or oblong football? I don't have a problem with woman playing round football but oblong football? They look so weird with those shoulder pads.

Happy Monday Tuesday! It's one of those weeks already...
Oblong? I worry about your funny-shaped balls...

Round, obviously, because the other type of football is called rugby and people who play it are well hard and don't need shoulder pads. (possible exception for Aussie Rules, but I hear they let drop bears on their teams).

I doubt Radio Jackie has ever mentioned the handegg game.

God, I need coffee. Among other annoying things, we got a parking fine today. Trying to figure out whether the parking lot have changed their T&Cs without signposting, or if someone has put electrical tape over parts of their numberplate (turning a 8 into a 3, a C into a G). Both are increasingly common scams.

I'm not sure what to think of it either. I shall have to ponder very carefully for a while.
It's American Rules Football and it's becoming wildly popular in your neighborhood. In 2024 there will be two NFL games in Tottenham Hotspur Stadium and one in Wembly and an NFL game scheduled for Munich. In 2025 there will be up to six NFL games in England.

I would love to see what Australia would do with American Rules Football.

"Unsportsman like conduct, defense, number seventy four, spilled beer. Fifteen yards and loss of a six pack."

Back