The AH Coffee Shop and Reading Room 09

Last night's concert is haunting me. The wind orchestra did fine... we kicked butt, actually. We ended the evening with Franz VonSuppé's Light Cavalry, an old chestnut, maybe, but a major crowd-pleaser. Trumpets and horns were brilliant in the intro. Our conductor turned around on the last refrain to lead the audience in clapping along. Cheers and hoots to close the otherwise too-long concert.
Dammit. Now I have the Light Cavalry Overture galloping around in my head and it won't go away.

Getting into the office was a major workout. Filling my pill box was mental over work. No coffee for me. I have a bottle of warter to finish and the back to my chair to sleep.

Later if possible.

It is 'Spring Break" (from school) here; kids have been home since Friday PM. Grandson and his sweet wife planned a trip for the family.

Fishing in Matagorda (offshore) and camping nearby (they have a skoolie grandson built). He drove the 'bus/skoolie. Sweet wife had to drag the boat (a first for her). I think it is a 26 ft Mako.

The 9 year old caught a 27" redfish (which he had to fight to get it on board), grandson cooked half of the fish tonight for fish tacos; other half will be fried Thursday for supper.

Everyone goes back to work/school on Monday. I stayed here to finish planting veggies/herbs/flowers and feed the black mouth cur dog. I also pulled down 50 ft of coral vine from the fence, chopped it up and bagged it. Good timing, the 'mother' plant already had a 12" tendril/vine starting.

It is 'Spring Break" (from school) here; kids have been home since Friday PM. Grandson and his sweet wife planned a trip for the family.

Fishing in Matagorda (offshore) and camping nearby (they have a skoolie grandson built). He drove the 'bus/skoolie. Sweet wife had to drag the boat (a first for her). I think it is a 26 ft Mako.

The 9 year old caught a 27" redfish (which he had to fight to get it on board), grandson cooked half of the fish tonight for fish tacos; other half will be fried Thursday for supper.

Everyone goes back to work/school on Monday. I stayed here to finish planting veggies/herbs/flowers and feed the black mouth cur dog. I also pulled down 50 ft of coral vine from the fence, chopped it up and bagged it. Good timing, the 'mother' plant already had a 12" tendril/vine starting.
We don't have coral vines. Our winters are probably too cold for it. We do have trumpet vines, but I haven't started this year's battle with that yet.

So three blokes turned up yesterday to install a new Boiler, to replace my old 'Glowworm' thing.. Not one of them spoke fluent English, nor did they have much of a clue about putting things back. What's worse is they did not explain how to drive the new one (a Vailant).
The "Instructions" do not make a lot of sense to me.
I await the arrival of an 'expert'.

Good morning
Still recovering from yesterday's workout. Once upon a time when faced with yardwork like I accomplished yesterday I'd say, "Hold my Beer" Now I'm more likely to say "Just shoot me."

Breakfast is a piece of toast while I watch Starship 3 launch today at 9:20 EDT

Another great day fighting the beaurocracy. I went to pick up my medications (the ones that keep me alive) and for some reason "My Insurance" wasn't going to cover it. My insurance is Tri-Care and they changed my date of birth invalidating all of my medical charges, like prescription drugs. Tri-Care isn't really insurance, it's what the government does to veterans. Now I have to jump through hoops to correct their screwup. I filled out all the documents needed to force a correction in their "system." Now all I can do is wait and hope I don't die before I can get my prescriptions again. In the meantime I'm spending my time calling Tri-Care and associated offices pissing people off.

Ugh. Tornado warning in the county just west of us. Looking at the radar we're next. I told C to not clear out our shelter closet just yet, but she knows what to do. It's quite a cluster of strong storms. Weather guy on the TV just said "whack-a-mole" trying to keep track of all the crap. 2" hail not too far away from here.

Ah, spring in the Midwest. Ho hum. :oops:

I'm ready for this year's hanging threats. What with the movie Twisters (remake, reboot, continuation) and the real deal here, it should be quite a year. We have our local eager beaver weatherman who gets excited as tornados near towns. He seems gleeful as he warns, "You should seek shelter now; this one's a whopper." Or, "We have an awesome massive front moving in the area." I get the impression he's wanting to count the dead!
Ugh. Tornado warning in the county just west of us. Looking at the radar we're next. I told C to not clear out our shelter closet just yet, but she knows what to do. It's quite a cluster of strong storms. Weather guy on the TV just said "whack-a-mole" trying to keep track of all the crap. 2" hail not too far away from here.

Ah, spring in the Midwest. Ho hum. :oops:

Ah. We're cool. The cell weakened before getting anywhere close and skimmed south of us. It's sort of the usual pattern; the topography here tends to steer the bad stuff away from our town.

We don't have coral vines. Our winters are probably too cold for it. We do have trumpet vines, but I haven't started this year's battle with that yet.
they come back from the roots, even after the Uri week of below freezing. Vines die back in November. Honey bees love it.

I'm expecting another Visit next Tuesday for some blokes to finish the job.

Any coffee left please ?

Here you go HP, piping hot Java.

Now that I've beaten the US government into submission I have time for the finer things in life: Making coffee for my friends, writing classic science fiction adventure stories, and completing my list of non-negotiable demands to be presented to the president's cabinet.

Fridays are good...

Back