The AH Coffee Shop and Reading Room 09

Wasted 2 hours this week having an occupational health assessment for work, after wasting a previous 5 hours when they failed to organise it correctly.

To be fair, the nurse was very nice and quite happy to slag off her company's policies and encourage me to make a complaint. Today's batshittery was that if I wanted to read the report before it was sent to my managers, then I'd have to have an appt with a doctor first rather than her. Why? It's just policy. It then occured to her that if I'm using video chat, then she could just share her screen and let me read it that way...

Nothing like spending two hours explaining everything you can't do, and why you can't do it, in graphic detail.

Still, she assured me that she'd confirm I can do my job as long as I'm not made to go regularly into the office, so we should just continue as we have been (and she may be allowed to put in some snark about HR putting my health at risk!)

And then it's the weekend. Nearly Easter!

I've been driving past a former Dairy Queen for a long time--one of the little old ones that was nothing but a hut with walk-up window. It's in a kinda run-down part of town that's slowly getting its feet on the ground and it had been empty for a while, so I was surprised when people started appearing at the walk up.

There were no signs I could see to say what they did and, given the part of town, I was thinking "Walk up crack sales?"

The lines got longer, and I finally noticed a small sign on the front of the building. "Burque Bakehouse" ("Burque" is a popular short form of "Albuquerque"). And really, the lines got long, and I didn't know why.

Now they're in the running for a national restaurant award, and today there was a three-page article in the newspaper's weekly magazine. Just the pictures of their food made my mouth water.

So now I know why there's a line. They bill themselves as a "French influenced, Burque-made, small-batch bakery" and they even use local products.

Anyone for a kimchi and egg toasted crouissant? Maybe I'll try that cardamon-spiced vanilla latte to go with it.

Bakehouse.jpg

Good afternoon, lunch was awesome! Super Nachos made with venison and extra jalapeno.

Now that the battle over military benefits is over it's Spring! Time for the annual resurrection of the air conditioners. Something always goes wrong with our AC units, the local heating/cooling folks have beaten a path to our compressors and are friends with the dogs. They should be here sometime this afternoon

Afternoon coffee is ready!

Good evening. I finally got some writing done today! I was about 2000 words into my latest SciFi thriller when Grandma said, "You hungry?" I hadn't thought about it but she handed me the keys to her pickup truck (she's really getting into this Southern life style) and we were soon in Yulee having the best BBQ chicken I've ever had, collard greens, green beans, mashed taters and gravy. Grandma had the same and we were out of there for under $20 (including tip)

Coffee is hot and ready and if my stupid dog will shut up I can get back to writing.

No writing today. Have one I've been cooking along with, but as described in Millie's Misery Marathon thread, today has been not so hot. Still feeling like crap. Staying upright, tho', so that should count for something.

Did feel okay enough to take C out to Applebee's for late lunch, and that was very pleasant. Dog was an angel in the car, and always amuses the service staff. A beer and pretzel sticks was about the limit for me. She had riblets.

It's been an absolutely horrible last 24 hours or so.

Indian Lake, Ohio is my old hometown.
It consists of 2 small villages, Lakeview and Russell's Point.

My team was called out to help with Search and Rescue and to help evacuate affected people to safety.

I grew up down the road from the old boat and bait shop in Russell's Point.
I still have family and friends that live there.

It's absolute devastation there.
3 died from the tornado.

The tornado outbreak of 3/14/24, produced tornadoes from Ohio all the way down to Arkansas.

Pray for those who not only lost loved ones, but have lost everything.

So sorry to hear that, Seadog. Prayers headed your way.
Thank you.
I'm lucky that my family and friends there, escaped without injury and only light damage to their properties.
Tree limbs and gutters were blown off.
Some shingles came off, but that's the worst of what my family and friends got.

The weather service predicted we'd get five days of rain. This is day four of the five days, and we've had rain every day so far. More accurately, we've had a trace of rain every day.

Calm weather here, was thinking of using the lawnmower to blow the leaves off the lawn again. The live oaks are shedding like crazy this spring.
Lunch was breakfast - two perfect sunny side up eggs on a nest of corn beef hash, coffee and grapefruit juice.

No rain through Wednesday here, at least, but after today, temperatures are going to fall below normal seasonal highs. I need to hack away at the acre's worth at the studio. Disincentivized from mowing anything due to this upper respiratory crap I seem to be dealing with that isn't abating. Sigh.

The storm that spawned all those tornadoes in southern Ohio Seadog mentioned was the same one that passed through here. A couple of EF0s made a big mess around the Springfield (IL) area and spread debris which closed I-55 for a while. Around here was little more than a lightning & thunder show dropping 1.5" of rain. Big (3"!) hail west of St. Louis, however.

Seeds are arriving and it's time to start tomatoes, chiles and peppers indoors (for now) for transplant later. The hyacinths are budding and the forsythia's in bloom. It's like spring, though the equinox is still a few days away.

I picked up some manure this afternoon to dig into the new raised beds I finished filling last weekend, so now I smell a bit like rotted manure. I need to start working on the other beds pretty soon.

My bulb plants are coming up, spider lilies, day lilies, tiger lilies, amaryllis, passion flower, and irises. I just wish the crep myrtle that I planted would take off like the bamboo I planted.

No rain through Wednesday here, at least, but after today, temperatures are going to fall below normal seasonal highs. I need to hack away at the acre's worth at the studio. Disincentivized from mowing anything due to this upper respiratory crap I seem to be dealing with that isn't abating. Sigh.

The storm that spawned all those tornadoes in southern Ohio Seadog mentioned was the same one that passed through here. A couple of EF0s made a big mess around the Springfield (IL) area and spread debris which closed I-55 for a while. Around here was little more than a lightning & thunder show dropping 1.5" of rain. Big (3"!) hail west of St. Louis, however.
Friday (yesterday) we got a touch and go tornado in our small town; no deaths, some damage to homes and LOTS of power poles taken down; thus no electric starting about 3 PM, think we got it back around 4 AM. Not a good nights sleep. We also got hail; golf ball size; most of the garden looks like it will recover--we did lose a few plants.

Iris and day lilies still blooming and OK in front of the house. I haven't checked on the peach or apple trees yet. Kid moved the lemon, lime, avocado, blueberries into the garage before the storm, he will probably move them back outside tomorrow.

Saturdays are always busy, busy for them; the 9 year old plays baseball at a 'tournament' level with other kids in this area. This is not the 'regular' Little League. Hoping for a decent night's sleep tonight.

Good morning all, coffee is on. With luck there's something left for breakfast in the fridge.

1710677427201.png

After several days in the sixties and seventies, the high tomorrow is only going to be in the 30s.

Winter is coming!

Winter is coming!

Probably not. But its eyes are glazed-over.

Going back to bed in a few minutes. Trying a new antihistamine and this one actually works, but... damn... drowsy. Looked it up on drugs.com and a-yup, "unusual tiredness or weakness". They got that right.

:(

It looks like an indoor day. I don't want to go out in that -- it's cloudy! Come June and my attitude will be different.

Good Sunday to all. I'm at the parents place today. May or may not be on here. Jo's mowing the lawn here for the parental units. I'm enjoying said parents company. I don't think we will stay late though. More coffee, I can't shake the yuckiness today. I think I imbibed at bit to much of the Irish last night in a pre ST Paddy day celebration.

Good evening everyone.
When I woke up this afternoon, my daughters had my toolbox waiting for me on the kitchen floor.
Apparently, it was time for the quarterly cleaning of the garbage disposal.
My daughters WANTED IT DONE TODAY. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

The University of NM men's BB team is seeded #11 and will play #6 Clemson in Memphis. Go Lobos!

The women's team, on the other hand, fell flat on their face in the conference tournament. They might be picked up by the WNIT, but I'd be surprised.

1710715568608.png
Good evening. Dinner was our usual for a bunch of non-Irishmen, fried cabbage, roast potatoes, steamed carrots and joint of corned beef.

Buddy and I shared a beef roast for dinner. I fried some cabbage to make it like an Irishman for my plate. Buddy got peas [green] and carrots for his bowl, making him an 'Irishhound' even though he is an English cocker.

The clouds wanted to rain today, but I think they forgot how. Mild overcast, 87F.

We are enjoying bright dry weather.
And my new CH Boiler is a real mess.

Any coffee left please ?

Back