The 50 Plus Cafe, Pub and All-Nite Greasy Spoon. All are welcome!

In 2000, Mom and I drove cross-country. Twenty states, 7000 miles, 13 days. There were a couple of no-drive days, but is was basically 600 miles per day. Glad I did it. I might consider riding the road bike on something like that in the future, but that's more like 500 day max.

I don't know - we'll see. It's not here yet.

I absolutely loath flying. Thank you, TSA, for that. I don't like the tin-can feeling in an airplane, either. That said, I can stow carry-on like a boss.
A road trip is often more about the trip than the destination. I'll be driving to the YT this summer. Haven't decided if I'll be driving the Cruiser or the Sube. Definitely the Sube if it's just a "destination" trip, because it rides better on the highway.

A road trip is often more about the trip than the destination. I'll be driving to the YT this summer. Haven't decided if I'll be driving the Cruiser or the Sube. Definitely the Sube if it's just a "destination" trip, because it rides better on the highway.

This trip was all about the trip. The destination was the excuse. Tonight's trip is all about the destination. And hanging with That Damned Kitten.

Really enjoy road trips. Last year we drove from Arizona to Texas. The only destination we really had was to be at a wedding near Houston.

I really dislike Phoenix, nothing personal to those that live there, but it seems to be nothing but suburban sprawl, and it was hot last September. Getting out into the mountains in Arizona and cutting across New Mexico was fun.

I forgot how hilly Texas can be. Texas Hill country is gorgeous.

Austin was very forgettable. A hollow shell of what it used to be.

Anyway, it was a fun road trip over nine days. Lots of museums, roadside, plaques, finding fun little cafés and old man bars. All on back roads. Almost no interstates.

Have fun on your trip!

I agree i do love a good road trip. Even alone i enjoy them. I did a loop across Wyoming Nebraska Kansas Colorado last year I'm thinking i need another one.
Live long enjoy the journeys

The Texas Gulf coast is just a few hours away and my sister lives in the south Texas outback ( her driveway is a mile long) so my Sweetie and I hit the road every few months, spent two or three nights....seafood and laying around and walks on the beach and trash novels.....maybe stop over in San Antonio on the way home......Sweetie wants to do New Mexico in the autumn.............

As far as road trips some are amazing, for sure. Went through the Canadian Rockies last summer, it was spectacular.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/pkah...9-AM.jpg?rlkey=b9qrc0gttb3uqptk5uu5hvh8h&dl=0

I was in Maui in February and did a famous road trip there called “Road to Hana”, and by the end I couldn’t wait to finish it. The winding road, blind corners, single lane bridges….there wasn’t a straight stretch the entire time (3 hours or so each way). Some great views yes but….

Win some, lose some as they say 🤷‍♂️

As far as road trips some are amazing, for sure. Went through the Canadian Rockies last summer, it was spectacular.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/pkah...9-AM.jpg?rlkey=b9qrc0gttb3uqptk5uu5hvh8h&dl=0

I was in Maui in February and did a famous road trip there called “Road to Hana”, and by the end I couldn’t wait to finish it. The winding road, blind corners, single lane bridges….there wasn’t a straight stretch the entire time (3 hours or so each way). Some great views yes but….

I did that road trip as well. That people live there and drive it daily amazes me.....

I did the Road to Hana on my one trip to Maui
someone else was driving
windy roads, narrow bridges - i'm ok w/ those
(year abroad in UK - lots of that over there)
I get vertigo w/ heights :rolleyes:
Spent the whole time in the passenger seat - left hand across my lap grabbing the interior door handle and right hand up on the chicken stick while twisted away to look the opposite direction from my side of the car where the steep drops were visible.
It was beautiful but I had the equivalent of the bed spins most of the drive.
Needless to say, I cancelled my Sunrise Haleakala Bike Trip for the next morning. My travel companion loved it but said it was the right choice for me given the car ride to Hana.
I still recommend both excursions to anyone going to Maui.

I did the Road to Hana on my one trip to Maui
someone else was driving
windy roads, narrow bridges - i'm ok w/ those
(year abroad in UK - lots of that over there)
I get vertigo w/ heights :rolleyes:
Spent the whole time in the passenger seat - left hand across my lap grabbing the interior door handle and right hand up on the chicken stick while twisted away to look the opposite direction from my side of the car where the steep drops were visible.
It was beautiful but I had the equivalent of the bed spins most of the drive.
Needless to say, I cancelled my Sunrise Haleakala Bike Trip for the next morning. My travel companion loved it but said it was the right choice for me given the car ride to Hana.
I still recommend both excursions to anyone going to Maui.
Ive never been to Hawaii. Maybe I’ll take a road trip there. 😀

But those pics and descriptions sound amazing.

Ive never been to Hawaii. Maybe I’ll take a road trip there. 😀

But those pics and descriptions sound amazing.
along the Road to Hana are these amazing, multi-tier waterfalls called the
Seven Sacred Pools. If you go, research ahead of time or check w/ hotel/locals. The more waterflow, the more spectacular the falls. April-October there's less rainfall.
there are spots where you can stop, park and get some great pics of them. (I think some may have closed since my trip - rockslides & Covid-19). One spot has the scenic overlook across from the fall - and folks have made an unofficial, back path up to the top where they cliff jump. My travel companion did the jumping - they loved it.

along the Road to Hana are these amazing, multi-tier waterfalls called the
Seven Sacred Pools. If you go, research ahead of time or check w/ hotel/locals. The more waterflow, the more spectacular the falls. April-October there's less rainfall.
there are spots where you can stop, park and get some great pics of them. (I think some may have closed since my trip - rockslides & Covid-19). One spot has the scenic overlook across from the fall - and folks have made an unofficial, back path up to the top where they cliff jump. My travel companion did the jumping - they loved it.
Didn’t go all the way to the Pools (would have been a bit of a hike), but did a few side stops. I used a travel app that was specific for the Road to Hana, it was narrated the whole way. It was nice to get there, but the drive back was too much (road was closed so wasn’t able to continue on and loop around, has to return same way).

The Texas Gulf coast is just a few hours away and my sister lives in the south Texas outback ( her driveway is a mile long) so my Sweetie and I hit the road every few months, spent two or three nights....seafood and laying around and walks on the beach and trash novels.....maybe stop over in San Antonio on the way home......Sweetie wants to do New Mexico in the autumn.............
My patents used to go to Rockport (by corpus christie) until the last hurricane flattened it)

Back