Surprise success, asking my readers what comes next

aToyEnjoyer

Isekai Protaganist
Hi all! I recently joined Literotica and started publishing my first erotic story here. (it features a futa centaur, link if you're interested)

I never expected the awesome reception it's had in the last few days! I was unsure if the readers on Lit would appreciate my particular Sci-Fi/Fantasy interests, but they've clearly proven me wrong.

I've already submitted part 2 of 3 and I'm super excited to finish up the main story for all the people that enjoyed it, but my problem is with what comes after. I have a whole host of very different ideas for additional scenes with this couple and new stories in the same universe that I'd all love to write, but don't have the time to finish.

What would be the best way to connect with my readers on this? Should I just list off my ideas at the end of part 3 and ask them to comment their favorite? I'm super interested to hear what other authors have done.

Frankly, I write my own stories. I don't ask input from anyone and you shouldn't either. Are you a writer or not?

Write what you want. If there are other stories on your universe than move on. Your readers will follow.

In the final chapter of my series, I left a comment asking for feedback and found that a few just naturally listed what they wanted to see next as the next evolution of the story. Whether I listen to them is up to me as I brainstorm what’s next. Can’t hurt to hear people out and see what in your story they attached to.

Probably just don’t set the expectation that you’ll write whatever someone suggests.

Frankly, I write my own stories. I don't ask input from anyone and you shouldn't either. Are you a writer or not?

Write what you want. If there are other stories on your universe than move on. Your readers will follow.
I don't intend to write anything I'm not passionate about and I wouldn't take random suggestions if they weren't exciting to me.

But I have too many ideas to pursue all at once, and I'm an indecisive person that needs feedback and validation to stay motivated. I'll write more passionately and have more fun if I know there are people excited to read what I'm writing, so I'd like to have my readers help decide what idea I pursue next.

In the final chapter of my series, I left a comment asking for feedback and found that a few just naturally listed what they wanted to see next as the next evolution of the story. Whether I listen to them is up to me as I brainstorm what’s next. Can’t hurt to hear people out and see what in your story they attached to.

Probably just don’t set the expectation that you’ll write whatever someone suggests.
Yeah for sure, I just want to hear people's opinions!

If they get me more excited about one of my ideas then awesome, everyone's happy. But if not I can just ignore them lol.

I don't intend to write anything I'm not passionate about and I wouldn't take random suggestions if they weren't exciting to me.

But I have too many ideas to pursue all at once, and I'm an indecisive person that needs feedback and validation to stay motivated. I'll write more passionately and have more fun if I know there are people excited to read what I'm writing, so I'd like to have my readers help decide what idea I pursue next.
Honestly, I think that the number of responses you get would not be in any way representative of what readers want. Even in the low-traffic categories you can expect hundreds, if not thousands, of views. How many replies do you think your question would get?

Just write until you get to the point where you can't wait to finish one of the stories you're working on. That's the one to publish next.

Honestly, I think that the number of responses you get would not be in any way representative of what readers want. Even in the low-traffic categories you can expect hundreds, if not thousands, of views. How many replies do you think your question would get?

Just write until you get to the point where you can't wait to finish one of the stories you're working on. That's the one to publish next.
That's exactly what I was thinking when I made this thread, hoping there was a better way to get more responses 😛

Other sites around the interwebs have features to poll your followers, but I guess that's not a thing here on Lit. I might have to rely more heavily on my own indecisive heart.

I think you'll find that readers will provide you with the direction they think your story should go even if you don't solicit it from them.

The only advice I can offer is to be patient with your writing and avoid publishing before you and your story are ready. You mention "parts" but don't elaborate on whether these are chapters or individual stories in a series (although you do mention a "universe" this could apply to either). Take your time. The readers will still be there.

You don't have to abdicate your creative control to ask for suggestions. I have one series that I'm doing this with, and its kind of fun. To be honest, most of that they suggest is already in my plan just maybe with a slightly different flavor. The fun comes in when they suggest something that is a really good idea and I have to figure out how to use it and stay true to my story.

Still in control, still writing the story, still on me to deliver, just with an added challenge..

My best advice here is to think about your story and where you want it to go. Then take it there through writing. Fans can make good or bad suggestions. You don’t want to force yourself to write the bad ones.

I think you'll find that readers will provide you with the direction they think your story should go even if you don't solicit it from them.

The only advice I can offer is to be patient with your writing and avoid publishing before you and your story are ready. You mention "parts" but don't elaborate on whether these are chapters or individual stories in a series (although you do mention a "universe" this could apply to either). Take your time. The readers will still be there.
I did get one bit of intriguing feedback on the first part!

It took a lot of deliberation and rereading for me to finally start submitting, I think if I took it any slower I'd drive myself insane. I'm happy for the reassurance that the readers will still be around though.

The story I'm publishing right now is an arc in three ~7k word parts about a couple overcoming their physical differences to be together, and ends when they finally achieve their goal. I'm thinking of writing some short stories about the same couple, or starting another longer one on another couple in the same setting (universe).

Reader's outlandish (thus interesting to pursue not having come up w/on your own) request: "Bananas. Lots of Bananas. ALL the BANANAS."

Pour self into story over hours and hours. Bananas everywhere. Potassium poisoning even. Publish.

"No Banana in the back of the knee sex?!! I am WOUNDED. Bait and switch! Zero stars."

nanas.jpg

Banana sex? And I thought that fetishized Apocalypse Horsemen (Marvel Comics) and Sith on Jedi weird alien pairing trolls were bad. [shakes head and laughs]

You don't need to reach out to readers to connect with them. Keep writing stories of similar type and quality and your readers will come back to you. They may follow you or favorite your stories, and when you post something new they'll see what you are posting. My recommendation is to write what YOU are most enthusiastic about, and it will show in your story.

It hasn't happened often, but I've had a few reader comments suggesting next steps for a series. Small sample size, but 0% good advice. I'd suggest reaching out to other writers, maybe whose work resembles yours, if you want a nudge.

Reader's outlandish (thus interesting to pursue not having come up w/on your own) request: "Bananas. Lots of Bananas. ALL the BANANAS."

Pour self into story over hours and hours. Bananas everywhere. Potassium poisoning even. Publish.

"No Banana in the back of the knee sex?!! I am WOUNDED. Bait and switch! Zero stars."

View attachment 2296665
In Victorian times, bananas were considered too erotic for genteel ladies to see. They were always served sliced up.

Back