Story pulled down as supposedly non-original work

NaughtyLit81, I'm curious as to whether you've done this, and if not, why not?
I did and nothing came up. I even used the section from the teaser I posted with my announcement on the subreddit (same username and linked to the story page so it is clearly me as the author) to see if it would pull that up. It did not and there was no result.

That seems like a fantastic single point of failure and a great way to bottleneck a process where anyone can get a story taken down on an accusation and it takes a miracle for the author to get their work back up.

It also seems like a very effective way of keeping costs down and making the vast quantity of story submissions more manageable by a single person. ;)

It's a great example of the conflicts between the benefits and drawbacks of using AI in lieu of human resources, how AI can be useful without violating copyrights, and how further development is still needed.

That seems like a fantastic single point of failure and a great way to bottleneck a process where anyone can get a story taken down on an accusation and it takes a miracle for the author to get their work back up.
It's how the site works. Work with the advice you're getting and you might get somewhere. Fight against it, you'll only create lots of angst for yourself, and no-one here can help anyway, so keep that in mind. You're in a long line of folk with exactly the same problem, and you won't be the last.

It's not much solace, but you're not alone with this issue.

Just wanted to post a close out to this issue.

My stories have been restored. Thanks to everyone that provided useful feedback when I started this process of protecting my work.

The Baddie Neighbor - Ch 01 and Ch 02

Me:
Write a story about someone who is upset because a story they wrote was rejected from a publisher because it was mistakenly identified by AI as having been written by AI.

Chat GPT:
In a quiet town, an aspiring author poured their heart into a captivating story, only to face the crushing disappointment of rejection. The publisher, relying on an AI system, mistakenly identified the work as machine-generated, leaving the author frustrated and misunderstood. Determined to prove the human touch in their writing, the author embarked on a journey to challenge the AI’s judgment and reclaim the recognition deserved.

Undeterred by the setback, the author delved into the intricacies of the AI system that had cast doubt on their creativity. Hours of research and late nights were spent understanding the algorithms that led to the erroneous judgment.

Armed with newfound knowledge, the author decided to confront the publisher and request a reconsideration. They eloquently explained the depth of emotions, personal experiences, and unique perspectives woven into every sentence of their story. The publisher, intrigued by the passion and determination, agreed to give the manuscript another chance.

As the revised manuscript landed on the publisher’s desk, the author held their breath, hoping the authenticity of their work would shine through. The AI, now armed with additional context, reevaluated the writing and recognized the unmistakable human touch that had initially been overlooked.

To the author’s delight, the publisher not only accepted the story but also praised its depth, originality, and emotional resonance. The tale of overcoming AI misconceptions became an inspiring narrative in the literary world, prompting discussions about the delicate balance between technology and human creativity.

In the end, the author’s journey taught them that perseverance, combined with a clear voice, could triumph over even the most advanced algorithms. The story that began with rejection concluded with a triumphant acceptance, proving that genuine human expression could not be easily dismissed by artificial intelligence.

🤣🤷‍♀️
Wo! That's pretty impressive.
I will repeat my mini-campaign. We have to stop fighting it. Accept it and make acknowledging it the new norm.

Wo! That's pretty impressive.
I will repeat my mini-campaign. We have to stop fighting it. Accept it and make acknowledging it the new norm.
Except you have no way of knowing whether or not the tool merely found some existing human written content. This could be 100% plagiarism, for all anyone knows.

Except you have no way of knowing whether or not the tool merely found some existing human written content. This could be 100% plagiarism, for all anyone knows.
In the case of my work it wasn't AI, someone reported my work as stolen from them. I had to provide copies of the work that went through multiple editors plus chat logs going back over two years showing me discussing and developing the specifics of this story including names, specific phrases, and other markers.

So in this case the only tool was the person making the false claim.

Do you really believe that piece I prompted from ChatGPT could be plagiarized?

Can you think of a reasonable way to challenge it that could prove the content is original?

Maybe ask it something impossibly obscure, like:

Me:
write a metaphorical story about the challenges an anthropomorphic young dung beetle growing up in dung beetle society where dung producing herbivores are mysteriously becoming extinct. Use elements of scientific fact that pertain to dung beetles and dialogue between at least three characters and do not use the word “anthropomorphic” in any form.

ChatGPT:
In the heart of the savannah, a bustling dung beetle society faced a perplexing challenge – their herbivorous companions were disappearing, leaving behind an unsettling void. In this intricate ecosystem, a young dung beetle named Rolland navigated the tunnels of his community.

As the sun painted the horizon with warm hues, Rolland overheard hushed conversations among the elders. Greta, a wise dung beetle with knowing eyes, approached him.

"Rolland, our world is changing," Greta murmured, her mandibles expressing concern. "The herbivores are vanishing, disrupting the balance of our existence."

Rolland, rolling a tiny dung ball, reflected on the implications of the mysterious disappearance. Maurice, an elderly beetle with a seasoned carapace, joined the conversation.

"The herbivores are vital; their dung sustains our tunnels and nurtures our larvae," Maurice explained, his voice resonating with the wisdom of cycles. "We must uncover the mystery behind their decline."

Determined to unravel the truth, Rolland embarked on a quest through the changing savannah. Along the way, he encountered Isabel, a fellow dung beetle with curious antennae.

"The answers lie in the shifting landscapes," Isabel observed, her words carrying the weight of revelation. "Forces beyond our control are affecting our herbivore companions."

Together, Rolland and Isabel delved into the mysteries of their changing world, engaging in deep conversations with wise old beetles. They discovered that climate shifts and human influences were altering the habitats of the herbivores.

Armed with this knowledge, Rolland addressed the assembly of beetles, urging unity and adaptation. "We must evolve alongside our world, finding sustainable solutions to preserve our way of life," he proclaimed.

As the beetles united, implementing changes to safeguard their society, the sun set on a transformed savannah. Rolland, now a confident dung beetle, rolled a larger dung ball with pride, symbolizing not only his growth but the resilience of a community that faced challenges with adaptability and unity.

🤪

In the case of my work it wasn't AI, someone reported my work as stolen from them. I had to provide copies of the work that went through multiple editors plus chat logs going back over two years showing me discussing and developing the specifics of this story including names, specific phrases, and other markers.

So in this case the only tool was the person making the false claim.
We're talking at cross purposes. My comment was in response to AG31 enthusing about that AI text.

I wasn't referring to your situation at all - which sounds like someone accused you of plagiarism, whereas more likely, the other writer plagiarised you, as evidence by the speed with which your stories were restored.

Do you really believe that piece I prompted from ChatGPT could be plagiarized?

Can you think of a reasonable way to challenge it that could prove the content is original?

Maybe ask it something impossibly obscure, like:

Me:
write a metaphorical story about the challenges an anthropomorphic young dung beetle growing up in dung beetle society where dung producing herbivores are mysteriously becoming extinct. Use elements of scientific fact that pertain to dung beetles and dialogue between at least three characters and do not use the word “anthropomorphic” in any form.
I agree, that sounds original.

As counter evidence, though, that "impossibly obscure" idea was beaten to the punch by a similar(ish) story I published seven years ago:

Allison the Aardvark

Impossible obscure enough for you? And hey, all my own work.

But, you do you, playing around with a word toy that responds to a prompt, and I'll continue to do me, writing without any assistance from a machine.

Back