Sparta

OregonCoast

Experienced
Watched a Documentary on Sparta that stated Homosexuality was not just common but encouraged and required among the Military Men or Class. It said that upon completeing the brutal training and being admitted into the ranks of the Spartan Warriors ..the young recruits would gain access or the right to enter and the Meeting hall reserverved for The Warriors. Once admitted a older mentor would be assigned to each new recruit and perhaps 2 or 3 and that the younger new warriors were encouraged and expected to engage in Homosexual sex with their mentors and other recruits. It was basically required.
It also stated that allthough the warriors had wives they did not reside with them and sex between the men and thier wives was encouraged for child birth only for the most part. I do not know weather this is acurate and I sure don't remember being taught this in my HS History class.I would have remembered that as I was a Gay teen and more than likely would have gotten a Hard On during that class disscusion.
I consider myself well learned on History compared to my fellow Blue collar construction worker types.But I sure never heard this before. I know Homosexuality was common and even accepted (if kept low key) during the early Greek and Roman periods and their societies...more so than in the centuries to follow and it's societies. But this is new to me on this extent.
If true it would seem Spartan society for at least a bit of it's history had Homosexuality as a major basis in it's structure.

If anyone has a comment or knows of any other Society that had Homosexuality as a major part of it's structure and Norms please post.

I watched a similar program a few years ago and the "homosexual sex" was, as stated in the program, more like upper thigh sex than anal. That struck me as a bit odd at the time. That's why I remember that.

Watched a Documentary on Sparta that stated Homosexuality was not just common but encouraged and required among the Military Men or Class. It said that upon completeing the brutal training and being admitted into the ranks of the Spartan Warriors ..the young recruits would gain access or the right to enter and the Meeting hall reserverved for The Warriors. Once admitted a older mentor would be assigned to each new recruit and perhaps 2 or 3 and that the younger new warriors were encouraged and expected to engage in Homosexual sex with their mentors and other recruits. It was basically required.
It also stated that allthough the warriors had wives they did not reside with them and sex between the men and thier wives was encouraged for child birth only for the most part. I do not know weather this is acurate and I sure don't remember being taught this in my HS History class.I would have remembered that as I was a Gay teen and more than likely would have gotten a Hard On during that class disscusion.
I consider myself well learned on History compared to my fellow Blue collar construction worker types.But I sure never heard this before. I know Homosexuality was common and even accepted (if kept low key) during the early Greek and Roman periods and their societies...more so than in the centuries to follow and it's societies. But this is new to me on this extent.
If true it would seem Spartan society for at least a bit of it's history had Homosexuality as a major basis in it's structure.

If anyone has a comment or knows of any other Society that had Homosexuality as a major part of it's structure and Norms please post.

it was fairly common in ancient Greece for men to take male lovers ,Alexander the great was a noted case and in Spartan society the women were equal to the men and unusually in those times were party to important decision making .
much of it was down to military codes and making warriors more trusting of their fellows in battle, knowing they could rely on the man next to them in the shield wall.

The thinking on Sparta was that it would create strong bonds among the soldiers and lead them to fight more fiercely to protect and save each other in battle.

Gladiators+02.jpg

Back