Soldier x Soldier - Rescued (Closed to TertiusHuman)

He chuckled and absentmindedly ran his hand over her hair as they stood in the gentle embrace, "Which is true. I think they just don't understand the dynamics. Perhaps I should enroll them for classes as well."

He laughed softly at his own joke and only then realized that he was stroking her hair. Caught up with an inability as to what to do, he just continued.

"Well you have time, there is no rush and I will be by your side, nothing short of a nuclear crisis will pull me away."

Before all this she wasn't one to be soothed or stroked. But now, at this moment, it felt really nice, to just be held and stroked. She chuckled softly. "Good. It feels really right, having you here." She whispered. A part of her figured he'd leave at some point, but that was just her distrust of people talking. Whether the attachment was healthy or not, Kat was highly attached to Thor, he was her safety. "I think we have time for a walk before dinner is ready." She mused.

He never have had somebody to soothe or stroke. Even his sister never needed it. Even with their parents' death. It felt nice, giving comfort. At her words he grinned and stepped away from her, "Oh I am game for a stroll. As long as you don't tell me afterwards that you are too tired to eat."

She snorted, "Me to tired to eat? As if." Kat always had an appetite. She always was up for eating. She walked away slowly over to find her shoes, she slid them on slowly, and winced a bit, her body still ached somewhat. But she got her shoes on and made her way to the back door. Zero danced around her, eager to go outside and play, he was use to much more exercise than he was getting. The dog was going kinda crazy,. "You might have to start taking him for runs. He's an angel on the leash, but he needs to run." She said, frowning. "Him and I use to run everyday, several miles." She opened the door to let the dog race outside.

"Well, sounds like somthing to do while you have a look at an ebook I have on the tablet. Hopefully you enjoy it as well."

He followed the pair outside and watched as she walked and of course entertain Zero. He took out his phone and checked his emails. His sister was quite excited that he was state-side and wanted to know when he'll come visit. He replied that he'd let her know in advance and that he would be bringing company.

He closed his phone and grinned, that ought to shock her into a semblance of silence. He never brought people along, not even friends. She has met the squad, but it was at a barbeque on base. He turned his attention back to Kat and Zero. It might take some time to convince her to go, but being around other people will help her.

She snorted "Yes I've resorted to reading ebooks while someone else exercises my dog. Exercise that I could've done in my sleep." Then she sighed. "Sorry. That was bitchy. My emotions have been all over the place since you found me. The shrink at the hospital assured me it was normal. But it isn't fun." She said as she tossed the ball. Watching the dog race after it. She struggled with al of this and she knew it was normal but god she hated it. Hated feeling so weak. Her legs trembled as she walked, causing her to have to focus entirely on that, then picking up the ball was a struggle. She was pleased to be able to do it but she remembered when tnwws soc effortless.

He took her retort with a slight smile, "Well it will not be for too long. You just keep up with the will and I will provide the means. Together we will take you to the heights you once achieved in physical training."

He snatched up a ball Zero returned and tossed it towards the far end, almost sailing it over the fence. He watched the dog give chase and then looked at Kat.

"That will be your strength training benchmark. The cardio will tone your muscles. So keep walking and throwing and less time telling me what you were able to do. You will get there, but right now you are Mary's little lamb. Heave to soldier."

He gave her an impish grin, then made a shooing motion.

She eyes him, when he tells her to spend more time walking and throwing and less telling him what she use to be able to do. "I guess I needed that." She nodded, it paid off to have a friend to tell her to suck it up and deal. Thor was equal balanced, when she needed comfort, he comforted but when she needed a hard ass to tell her to stop complaining, he did that too. She picked up the ball that Zero returned and tossed it. It went less than half the distance that Thor had tossed it, but it really wasn't bad for Kat and her circumstances. She made another two laps around the yard before breathing deeply, "Alright, I need a break." She said softly.

He was glad that she took the light admonishment as it was intended. It wasn't a blistering pep-talk, she already had spirit. She just needed guidance.

He walked casually with her as she made her circuits and nodded his own satisfaction when she called a halt. For a start, this was good enough, there was no need to push her boundaries until her body have built up more strength and stores.

"Let's go have a drink and check on the food."

On their way in, he gave her shoulder a light pat.

"Good work, keep that up."

She chuckles and walks beside him inside the house, "thanks." She murmured she went right to the fridge to get a drink of water as she leaned against the counter. "So before I left the hospital, they told me I needed to see a shrink once we got settled." She frowned. "I guess all the mental trauma is likely going to have lasting effects and they think seeing a shrink once a week will help." But Kat didn't sound al that thrilled about it. "I'd honesty rather not. I can't imagine sitting down and telling a stranger all about what happened to me." She shrugged.

He helped himself to some water and checked on the food. He leaned against the counter and took a drink from the bottle. He got where she came from, but she also needed a professional to help her work through the trauma of the past months.

"Well, what I can do is sit in. I am sure the doctor will not have issues with that and I will be able to give you the moral support you might want to work through something like that."

He shrugged,

"You know, telling a stranger your tale."

She shrugs "Maybe." She chewed her lower lip as she sat down at the table. "I just don't know if I want to talk about everything that happened. Surviving it was hard enough, reliving it won't be any easier." But she knew rationally she wouldn't be able to over come this trauma on her own. She watched him and smiled, "When it gets to that point it would be better to have you there." Everything was easier with Thor there. Of course she'd have to be okay telling him everything that happened to her. She knew he'd probably guessed, but it was different actually telling the story.

"And I will be there when you need me."

He turned off the stove, "Well time for lunch, if it smells any better I might start chewing on my finger."

He retrieved the plates and cutlery, setting the table and then dished out a generous helping for himself. Not that he was starving, the food just smelled that good. He poured himself a glass of juice and raised the bottle, "Want some Lt?"

Once he'd gotten his food, she helped herself to her food. Nodding, "Sure, thanks." She said with a smile. The juice would be good. She smiled as he called her LT. She found it an endearing and reassuring nickname. It was comforting actually, and she enjoyed it. She began eating hurriedly, she was learning to control her speed, but still she ate fast. "Mmm, tastes good." She compliments, as she continued eating quickly.

He nodded his agreement, "Indeed it is, we make a good culinary team it seems."

It slightly worried him that she ate that fast, but at least she wasn't wolfing down the food and that was what he wanted, for her to break free of one chain at a time. He was sure that the therapy sessions would help, but it all lay within her. She was the one who could free herself from the hell she had brought out with her.

When they were done, he gathered their dishes and went to the kitchen to wash it. He eyed the pots, the one thing he did hate to wash. "Hey Lt, there is enough food here for dinner. Hope you are not picky about leftovers."

Once they'd finished she followed him to the kitchen, helping with the dishes. "I don't think I'll ever be picky about food again." She said with a slight chuckle. Kat had never been much of a picky eater but more so now, she'd likely eat anything put in front of her. The more she thought about it the more she thought just maybe therapy might be good for her. As much as she wouldn't like it st first. She knew she had some serious issues that would need to be worked through. And if arbor accompanied her like he said he would,that would make it easier for her. She supposed she should start looking for therapists that were local.

"Good, that is what I want to hear. As long as it doesn't kill us, we can recycle food until it is done. No waste."

He placed the leftovers into the fridge and once they were finished, he directed her towards the living room. He picked up her phone and after a few minutes of fumbling, he managed to save his number on a speed dial.

"I'm taking Zero for that promised run, you can rest up and when I come back, we will do some light stretching and after a shower you will feel like a new person."

He found the leash and held it up for Zero, then he looked over at Kat. "Is there any special words, or will he follow my lead?"

Zero's tail wagged eagerly at the sight of the leash. But he remained where he was near Kat. She smiled, "Go on," the dog trotted to Thor and sat politely. "He'll mostly follow your lead. When you take off just say 'With me' he won't be in a formal heel but he won't pull. He won't pay any attention to other dogs or people. If you need to leave him for a minute or anything just ask for a 'Platz' it's down in German. He'll stay in a down until you say With Me again." She said as she sat down on the couch. It would be good for the dog to go for a run, burn off some of that excess energy that they hadn't been able to expel from him.

"Platz and with me."

He hooked the leash on to the collar, "You really did good work with him. You really should consider K9 work if Intelligence becomes boring."

He gave her a slight grin and waved goodbye as Zero and he left the house for their run. It was good to be out of boots on a run, but it made his gait awkward since the weight wasn't there. He not only lost track of time, but also of distance. Only when he found himself growing tired, did he realize how far they had gone. He stopped and looked down at Zero who stood next to him.

"Good boy."

The wagging tail his reward, he chuckled and turned back. Luckily it was a straight line, so he did not really get lost in the wide open spaces. He returned almost an hour later than intended, after unhooking Zero, he made his way into the living room and sat down on the ground, breathing deeply to regain his breath. "I'd go with the Honey I'm home joke, but not today."

Kat watched him go and she did think of working with K9s. It would be natural for her and she'd be comfortable there. Kat puttered around the house. But the longer he was gone the more agitated she got. Being alone again, it frightened her more than she thought t would, and Thor was late. Hed said he'd be an hour and it was getting later and later. What if something happened to him? What if he wasn't coming back? All were irrational fears but they were very real ideas for her. Her breathing was getting labored as she actively worked to not have a panic attack. The door opened and she jolted, scared. Then she saw Thor and she shuddered, making her way from the kitchen to the living room she greeted the tired dog who came to lean against her. Her heart rate and breathing was still fast and she was sure her eyes were wide, her cheeks flushed. She'd really been just one step away from locking herself her in bathroom.

He looked up at her as she came into the room, the look on her face one which he had seen before. Taking a steadying breath, he got back to his feet and walked closer to her.

"Hey. Take a breath. I am here."

He took both her hands in his own and gently held them, his thumbs slowly rubbing over the backs of her hands.

"You have my number, speed dial remember? When I am not in the house, I am just a call away and you know I will be there for you always."

She stared at their joined hands, nodding. "I know. And it's stupid but all I could think about was that something had happened to you or something was going to happen to me." She knew it was stupid but she couldn't help it. And honestly she hadn't even thought to call him. She'd been okay the first 20 minutes or so but then it had gone downhill from there. But she wanted to work through this. She didn't want Thor to think he couldn't leave her at all. She needed to be able to be okay for a little while alone. But for now she just leaned in, resting her forehead on his chest.

He released her one hand and slowly ran his hand over her hair, "I am sure that if something happens to me while I'm gone with Zero, you will find me and kick my ass."

He rested his cheek on the top of her head as he kept stroking her hair and over her back. "Don't worry about it though. It will take time. Can't expect to be back to normal in a matter of days. You're home and we will work forwards from there."

She snickered, "I do love that dog." She teased. Kat let out a slow shuddering breath as she relaxed under his stroking hand. She rested there for a moment before she felt relaxed enough to tip her head back and lean away. "Thanks," she murmured. She smiled slightly, glad st least he was so patient with her being a basket case. Yes it was to be expected But it certainly was annoying. She really did want to be back to some semblance of normal. But Kat knew it would take time.

He gave her a smile, "Let's get those kinks out. Time for some stretching, a shower a meal and then I suggest a movie before bed."

He held up a finger, "But first water. Next time I aint taking this energetic dog for a run without water."

He helped himself to two glasses of water and returned, rubbing his hands together. "Right! We shall stretch and you shall proceed to swear at me and if you don't I am doing it wrong. You ready?"

Back