Series versus A Single Long Story - advice needed

For me it has always been about the time it takes to write. I tend to publish episodes since it might take me a long time to finish a long story or loose interest. So the chapters give me an interaction with my audience which fules my Writing energy.

I have a few long ones laying on my hard drive half finished since I tend to loose momentum after a while. But this is the fantastical world of writing. We all have different reasons why we write and how diciplined we are. Im impressed by the writers that manage to write 20K words. Hat off for you all. <3

My 2 cents even if my points might ba a little off topic. :)

I don’t typically read, and I will never write chapter stories. I will not say never on the reading front; writer gods like norafares, PennLady, DonnaBeck are must reads, chapter or not. Ian56’s “Blind Girl in the Rain/Snow”, like oh my gawd! I do prefer to read stories all wrapped up into one, no matter the length. Great example being Xelliebabex’s “Her Fairy Tale Life”.

Post it in chapters. If there is non-con that should be its own chapter, don't include it in romance.

I know this has been asked before, but I would like fresh thoughts on this question based on current readership trends my fellow authors and commentators are noticing.

If I asked you to go with me to see a movie that was 12 hours long, chances are you would say no. Not interested in anything that long. But, if I say let's binge a 12-part show with lots of twists and turns, chances are you would be up for it. So, that brings me to my question: Do I publish a long story (I'm guessing around 16 LE pages) or break it into six cliffhanging chapters?

Like everyone else, I want to attract readers and am always worried that page length can be off-putting. My longer stories are part of my PORTMANTEAU SERIES, but those are stand-alone adventures told in a non-traditional style. I have yet to drop a long linear narrative for fear of not grabbing the readership. Yes, I know how to keep readers once they start my stories (new information, delivered at a quick, steady pace is the recipe), but I feel I'm still scaring away people unwilling to go longer than 5 pages.

To that end, I ask anyone who has created a traditional episodic series, with each post being a chapter, not an independent new adventure. How has that worked out for you compared to posting one long story?

I am 75% of the way through something fun, erotic, and with good twists, and the time is now for me to consider how it will presented. Any advice is appreciated.

- Wendy Trilby
I have a story that I really like. It is written and ready to go, but there's one minor issue with it. The story is around 130,000 words. As a general rule of thumb, I like a chapter to max out in the 7,500 to 10,000 word range. So, I still have some work to do on the story.

I’m on my third series, 98 chapters total, with two series being related. You’ll always get the most eyeballs on the opening chapter as readers want to check out the new serial being offered. The numbers will drop over the first few chapters as readers tune out. Eventually, you’ll settle into a steady number of views that will remain relatively constant as long as you hold their interest.

I publish a minimum of two chapters per week to keep at least one episode visible with that orange NEW tag.

I have found that some readers will wait for the last chapter to publish before they jump in. You’ll see the numbers on your early chapters reflect new readership.

Single long story. Size matters.
I have heard that (not just in regards to Literotica stories!), but I have also heard that some readers like shorter stories. I know, for me, I'd rather something shorter. With a longer story, I have to remember to come back to it and remember where I was and what was happening... For me, Literotica isn't something that I pull out on the beach and read for an afternoon... But maybe that's just me...?

I have heard that (not just in regards to Literotica stories!), but I have also heard that some readers like shorter stories. I know, for me, I'd rather something shorter. With a longer story, I have to remember to come back to it and remember where I was and what was happening... For me, Literotica isn't something that I pull out on the beach and read for an afternoon... But maybe that's just me...?
I generally look for shorter fare as a reader, too. Unless the tags or something suggest it's right up my alley, I don't usually start anything over 10k, often nothing much more than 5k, since I prefer to finish things in one sitting and I don't like sitting all that long.
Plus, a lot of the longer works I've read here in the past had a lot of filler material that didn't hold my interest very well. To go back to the penis analogy, ten inches may sound impressive, but not if it flops around like a plum in a sock.

I'm the opposite.

When I find something good that's 20k words AND has two more chapters to go, I'm made up.

The worst are really well written ones that fizzle out after 3k words. All style, no substance.

Maybe it's a genre thing.

I reposted a 20,000 word story here not long ago. The original was broken into 5 chapters, and got lots of views (the first and last chapters most of all). The repost was done as a single story, and has got hardly any views. I'm not doing that again

I generally look for shorter fare as a reader, too. Unless the tags or something suggest it's right up my alley, I don't usually start anything over 10k, often nothing much more than 5k, since I prefer to finish things in one sitting and I don't like sitting all that long.
In my limited experience as a Literotica author, it seems that 5-8K works best for me. But then I see other authors have great success on this site with MUCH longer stories as well as substantially shorter ones.
Plus, a lot of the longer works I've read here in the past had a lot of filler material that didn't hold my interest very well. To go back to the penis analogy, ten inches may sound impressive, but not if it flops around like a plum in a sock.
"Size matters" was a penis analogy???? 😲 But, yes, until you have a rabid fan base, it seems that no one wants to sit around waiting for the "good stuff."

In my limited experience as a Literotica author, it seems that 5-8K works best for me. But then I see other authors have great success on this site with MUCH longer stories as well as substantially shorter ones.

"Size matters" was a penis analogy???? 😲 But, yes, until you have a rabid fan base, it seems that no one wants to sit around waiting for the "good stuff."
Such a sad day when a fan base becomes rabid.
aql96lb89l161.gif

When I read stories, I prefer the long ones because I only finish those that I actually like. Yes, I finish one season in one night if I like it. It's painful to wait for the next chapter. But when I write, I prefer short episodes. They're easy to edit, and I can write faster this way. After writing a long story, if I get bad reviews, then what's the point of all the hard work? Nowadays, I write one page for the first chapter. If readers like the idea, then only then do I continue.

I finish one season in one night if I like it. It's painful to wait for the next chapter.
Maybe that's a generational thing? I can't just sit and binge watch something on Netflix. It drives me up a wall. It's like a 10-hour long movie! Waiting for that once-a-week episode is more exciting for me. You wonder what will happen? What questions will be answered. New situations will present themselves...
But when I write, I prefer short episodes. They're easy to edit, and I can write faster this way. After writing a long story, if I get bad reviews, then what's the point of all the hard work?
Yup. I TOTALLY get that. I write because I like to and have fun doing it, but when you toil over something, then present it to the world and the world craps all over it... 🙁 Or ignores it altogether...

I started out writing multi-chapter stories, although each chapter is sort of a little mini story of its own. Lately I've been writing longer; my most recent, written for the current On the Job writer's challenge, ended up at 21 pages, 73k words. It's doing fine with views and votes, not that I worry too much about that kind of thing.

My personal opinion is, if a story is long, it better be well paced, a snappy read that pulls you along. A slower paced story is probably better broken up into pieces. My own style is to keep things fast paced and moving.

Maybe that's a generational thing? I can't just sit and binge watch something on Netflix. It drives me up a wall. It's like a 10-hour long movie! Waiting for that once-a-week episode is more exciting for me. You wonder what will happen? What questions will be answered. New situations will present themselves...

Yup. I TOTALLY get that. I write because I like to and have fun doing it, but when you toil over something, then present it to the world and the world craps all over it... 🙁 Or ignores it altogether...
One thing that will never change is that, no matter how well you do, there is someone who won't like it. So, keep calm and write as you like.

Back