Send In The Clowns

Send in the Clowns it is for me also. Nothing comes close.

I’ve heard Hugh Jackman song this one, and Peter Allen. Both beautiful but Babs does it best.

Oh thank you. Really. Have never heard any of those. I love the song so much and it’s difficult for me to even explain to most people.

Can you share which one you like the most?

Last edited:
Dude, I talk a lot of shit for a muh fucker who tears up at the news of Stephen Sondheim‘s death and listening to his songs. This is one of my favorites. Please share your favorite version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Yu3SUlEhWA

My late partner and I arranged a trip to New York in March 2003 with the express purpose of seeing several shows. As luck would have it, our carefully planned theater weekend wound up corresponding with a Broadway musician’s strike, which rendered our carefully purchased tickets useless. Somehow, he was able to scramble and obtain two tickets to the City Opera’s performance of “A Little Night Music” at Lincoln Center, one of the few venues in the city that was unaffected by the strike. I knew nothing about the show going into it, but it was captivating, and hearing “Send in the Clowns” for the first time in its dramatic context was the highlight. Since that serendipitous evening, I have had a particular affection for the original cast recording of the song by Glynis Johns, for whom Sondheim wrote the song. Entirely different than the versions which made the song famous and deliberately imperfect, but very true to the character of Desiree. Johns must have been magnificent in the role.

Origin Story of Send in the Clowns

My late partner and I arranged a trip to New York in March 2003 with the express purpose of seeing several shows. As luck would have it, our carefully planned theater weekend wound up corresponding with a Broadway musician’s strike, which rendered our carefully purchased tickets useless. Somehow, he was able to scramble and obtain two tickets to the City Opera’s performance of “A Little Night Music” at Lincoln Center, one of the few venues in the city that was unaffected by the strike. I knew nothing about the show going into it, but it was captivating, and hearing “Send in the Clowns” for the first time in its dramatic context was the highlight. Since that serendipitous evening, I have had a particular affection for the original cast recording of the song by Glynis Johns, for whom Sondheim wrote the song. Entirely different than the versions which made the song famous and deliberately imperfect, but very true to the character of Desiree. Johns must have been magnificent in the role.

Origin Story of Send in the Clowns

Thanks for sharing. I love the backstory behind musicals and especially this one. Really cool you saw. Was familiar and loved song for years before I ever realized where it originated.

youre-not-a-clown-youre-the-entire-circus-v0-xo02g5rlkkr91.jpg

I am the trick my mother played on the world
Seventeen doctors couldn't decide
whether I should be allowed in the game

Back