Roast vs. Golf

Roast vs. Golf?

• Total voters

IrezumiKiss

Literotica Guru
Which Great American pastime would you rather do when the Warm Age comes upon us again?

giphy.gif

or

giphy.gif

Round of golf is 3 hours or so. Grillin' maybe 3 hours if you spend time yapping and drinking while you're doing it. Still plenty of day left for a 3rd activity.

Note: I'm moving 1 of Bob's posts from another thread. This seems more suitable for the conversation at hand after it was initiated.

Absolutely. To someone who plays all the time and takes it seriously it's not playing. It's a constant struggle to improve each and every time. Serious bidness.
To a weekend warrior it's just playing a round and having a few beers.
I have fallen into both categories but long ago learned I wasn't good enough to worry too much about it so just enjoy it.

Now I'm intrigued about this. See, I never realized that until recently. Years ago, I was invited to play golf (I'm not a golfer). I was learning golf at that time and I was into it for a short period. The 2 who invited me golfed all the time and thought it'd be a good idea for me to tag along. One was a semi-pro of sorts, the other wasn't a professional - but took it seriously.

I noticed every time I said "Play golf", 1 guy corrected me every time and I kept thinking "WTF is this guy's problem? It's just a game!" But I never said anything. It was all so cool and fun to me at the time. I played them twice, and won twice. But I wasn't taking it so serious - I was just having fun enjoying the game. Beginner's luck.

So finally, yrs later, a few days ago. Me and semi-pro guy were in the car together noticed a golf range and started talking. It was then I learned wtf he meaned so many years ago. And I'm like, "Motherfucker! That's what you were so pissed about so long ago!" He's like, "You mean you really didn't know?" We had a good laugh over it. Hopefully we'll golf together again some day.

I won't cover those old jokes of golfers and small hard balls etc. But golf seems like the dim ancestor of Pokemon Go or other 'games' or 'sports' where you move things around and then try to find and do things to them. An Easter egg hunt with sticks. Pournelle and Niven wrote about vegetarians that, "It doesn't take much intelligence to sneak up on a blade of grass." With golfers, it doesn't take a high IQ to sneak up on a little white ball.

But we know what golfing is really about. It's not the open air or splendid scenery, although some courses in redwood country are spectacular. It's not for exercise, not with carts around. It's not even the bar. It's the socializing, the relaxed air to talk of business or politics or religion, legal or otherwise. Make deals. The threat of violence by cudgel is always implicit. Agree or I'll smash your filthy skull. DEAL!

Round of golf is 3 hours or so. Grillin' maybe 3 hours if you spend time yapping and drinking while you're doing it. Still plenty of day left for a 3rd activity.

Brilliant response, though if the course is crowded the golf will take over four hours.
Still, it's all good.

I'm decent at mini-golf. Does that count?

Different skill set. Golf is actually more straightforward. Mini can be very complicated if you're playing to win cuz now you're dealing with all kinds of angles, weird terrain, fucking drops down tubes for the love of Jesus, windmills, killer clowns that eat balls and who knows what else.
Mini golf is a motherfucker.

I'm a lefty so I never had any clubs to borrow when I've been asked to play. I don't think it will be as thrilling as a good game of putting!

I won't cover those old jokes of golfers and small hard balls etc. But golf seems like the dim ancestor of Pokemon Go or other 'games' or 'sports' where you move things around and then try to find and do things to them. An Easter egg hunt with sticks. Pournelle and Niven wrote about vegetarians that, "It doesn't take much intelligence to sneak up on a blade of grass." With golfers, it doesn't take a high IQ to sneak up on a little white ball.

But we know what golfing is really about. It's not the open air or splendid scenery, although some courses in redwood country are spectacular. It's not for exercise, not with carts around. It's not even the bar. It's the socializing, the relaxed air to talk of business or politics or religion, legal or otherwise. Make deals. The threat of violence by cudgel is always implicit. Agree or I'll smash your filthy skull. DEAL!

Not all of us see it the same way as others, to each his own.

I'm decent at mini-golf. Does that count?
There's a great mini-golf course with dinosaurs and shit alongside the Russian River in Goonieville er I mean Guerneville CA under the redwoods. The snack bar sells roast beef sandwiches. You could have the best of both worlds.

I'm a lefty so I never had any clubs to borrow when I've been asked to play. I don't think it will be as thrilling as a good game of putting!

If you're in the neighborhood during golfing weather, I have a friend with left handed clubs that are borrowable.

Back