Riddle Me This

If you like pretty gems that sparkle and shine,
I invite you to dig in my virtual mine.
My first is purple, fit for a king,
My second is green where Dorothy did her thing.
My third is red, July's birthstone as well,
My fourth is seen in strings and is found inside a shell.
My fifth is hard, pure Carbon and expensive to buy,
My sixth is Crocidolite, striped like the big cat's eye.
Seventh is two words, a man-made fake of April's stone,
Eighth is very dark and found at Lightning Ridge alone.
Now take from each gem, one letter in its turn,
And you will find the stuff for which even the gods yearn.

If you like pretty gems that sparkle and shine,
I invite you to dig in my virtual mine.
My first is purple, fit for a king,
My second is green where Dorothy did her thing.
My third is red, July's birthstone as well,
My fourth is seen in strings and is found inside a shell.
My fifth is hard, pure Carbon and expensive to buy,
My sixth is Crocidolite, striped like the big cat's eye.
Seventh is two words, a man-made fake of April's stone,
Eighth is very dark and found at Lightning Ridge alone.
Now take from each gem, one letter in its turn,
And you will find the stuff for which even the gods yearn.

Ambrosia

A potato's key tool, I have all the power.
I am generally used on the half or full hour.
If my cells were deceased or lost or the such,
My partner would only respond to your touch.

What am I?

Five siblings are they, their color is true;
One belongs to one, four are shared by two.
Connected together, some by locks;
Many meet their fate upon the rocks.
Arrange their initials, and you should
Find things that are found in a neighborhood.

What has just been described?

According to U.S. law, there are officially designated days that all U.S. flags are to be flown at half-mast (for example: Memorial Day). The President and state governors also have the right to declare certain days that flags are to be flown at half-mast.

There is a particular group of U.S. flags that are never lowered to half-mast and appear to "violate" this U.S. Law. These flags were erected by U.S. Military personnel, but those troops will never be accused of doing anything wrong for those violations.

These flags are currently displayed today, and they have been for numerous years. Where is this particular group of flags displayed?

Complete the series by making a selection from the pool.

Series: Hermes, Aphrodite, Gaea, Ares, Zeus, Cronus, Uranus, Poseidon, ?

Pool: Athena, Dionysus, Eros, Hades, Hephaestus, Hera

A fancy restaurant in New York was offering a promotional deal. A married couple could eat at the restaurant for half-price on their anniversary. To prevent scams, the couple would need proof of their wedding date.

One Thursday evening, a couple claimed it was their anniversary, but didn't bring any proof. The restaurant manager was called to speak with the couple. When the manager asked to hear about the wedding day, the wife replied with the following: "Oh, it was a wonderful Sunday afternoon, birds were chirping, and flowers were in full bloom." After nearly 10 minutes of ranting, she comes to tell him that today was their 28th wedding anniversary.

"How lovely", the manager said, "However, you do not qualify for the discount. Today is not your anniversary, you are a liar".

How did the manager know that it wasn't their anniversary?

You are driving a car on one big stormy night. You pass a bus station. There are three people who are waiting for the bus: One old sick lady who is dying, One doctor who saved your life before, and one lady who is someone you have been dreaming to be with.

You can only take one passenger, which one will you choose?

A fancy restaurant in New York was offering a promotional deal. A married couple could eat at the restaurant for half-price on their anniversary. To prevent scams, the couple would need proof of their wedding date.

One Thursday evening, a couple claimed it was their anniversary, but didn't bring any proof. The restaurant manager was called to speak with the couple. When the manager asked to hear about the wedding day, the wife replied with the following: "Oh, it was a wonderful Sunday afternoon, birds were chirping, and flowers were in full bloom." After nearly 10 minutes of ranting, she comes to tell him that today was their 28th wedding anniversary.

"How lovely", the manager said, "However, you do not qualify for the discount. Today is not your anniversary, you are a liar".

If I calculated things correctly (or at least if I'm getting the general gist of the riddle), if they were married on a Sunday 28 years ago, their anniversary would be on a Saturday, not a Thursday. (If each year, the day of their anniversary shifted one day forward, or 2 days on leap years.)

If I calculated things correctly (or at least if I'm getting the general gist of the riddle), if they were married on a Sunday 28 years ago, their anniversary would be on a Saturday, not a Thursday. (If each year, the day of their anniversary shifted one day forward, or 2 days on leap years.)

Bravo!

It could also possibly be February 29th...Unless they've been married for 112 years? :)

Five siblings are they, their color is true;
One belongs to one, four are shared by two.
Connected together, some by locks;
Many meet their fate upon the rocks.
Arrange their initials, and you should
Find things that are found in a neighborhood.

What has just been described?

The great lakes

1. 7 wonders of the ancient world
2. 1001 Arabian nights
4. 54 cards in a deck (with the jokers)
7. 13 stripes on the American flag
10. 90 degrees in a right angle
14. 4 quarts in a gallon
15. 24 hours in a day
18. 57 Heinz varieties
21. 29 days in February in a leap year

I have been away from here for a few days so I missed out on quite a few riddles. Please keep them coming.

I can think of two possible reasons. The manager must have had brilliant knowledge of the calendar. Either 28 eight years previous was a leap year, or at the very least was not a Sunday.

I am a strange creature, for I satisfy women...
I grow very tall, erect in a bed,
I'm hairy underneath. From time to time
A beautiful girl, the brave daughter
Of some fellow dares to hold me
Grips my reddish shin, robs me of my head
And puts me in the pantry. At once that girl
With plaited hair who has confined me
Remembers our meeting. Her eye moistens.

A man came walking where he knew
Stood in a corner, stepped forward;
The bold fellow plucked up his own
Skirt by hand, stuck something stiff
Beneath her belt as she stood,
Worked his will. They both wiggled.
The man hurried: his trusty helper
Plied a handy task, but tired
At length, less strong now than she,
Weary of the work. Thick beneath
Her belt swelled the thing good men
Praise with their hearts and purses.

I am a strange creature, for I satisfy women...
I grow very tall, erect in a bed,
I'm hairy underneath. From time to time
A beautiful girl, the brave daughter
Of some fellow dares to hold me
Grips my reddish shin, robs me of my head
And puts me in the pantry. At once that girl
With plaited hair who has confined me
Remembers our meeting. Her eye moistens.

Okay, I know the answer probably isn't "a penis", but you have to admit, the first 5 lines seem pretty characteristic of it. :D

A dagger thrust at my own heart
Dictates the way I'm swayed
Left I stand, and right I yield
To the twisting of the blade.
What am I?

I am where the sky is orange;
I am where the grass is red;
I am the land of violet bananas
and the home to blue oranges.

What am I?

Ryan and Craig were identical twins born in Seattle in 1961. Ryan was born before Craig, but according to their birth certificates, Craig was older than Ryan. How come?

You've been placed on a course of expensive medication in which you are to take one tablet of Sildenafil and one tablet of Citrate daily. You must be careful that you take just one of each because taking more of either can have serious side effects.

Taking Sildenafil without taking Citrate, or vice versa, can also be very serious, because they must be taken together in order to be effective. In summary, you must take exactly one of the Sildenafil pills and one of the Citrate pills at one time. Therefore, you open up the Sildenafil bottle, and you tap one Sildenafil pill into your hand. You put that bottle aside and you open the Citrate bottle. You do the same, but by mistake, two Citrates fall into your hand with the Sildenafil pill.

Now, here's the problem. You weren't watching your hand as the pills fell into it, so you can't tell the Sildenafil pill apart from the two Citrate pills. The pills look identical. They are both the same size, same weight (10 micrograms), same color (Blue), same shape (perfect square), same everything, and they are not marked differently in any way.

What are you going to do? You cannot tell which pill is which, and they cost $300 a piece, so you cannot afford to throw them away and start over again. How do you get your daily dose of exactly one Sildenafil and exactly one Citrate without wasting any of the pills?

Names of the world's nations start with all letters of the alphabet except for the letter X. No country starts with an X.

What letters of the alphabet have just one country that starts with that letter?

The answer to each clue is the name of a famous person whose initials in the clue have been replaced with asterisks. (For example: base*all g*eat - Babe Ruth)

1. A mayo* of the Bi* Apple
2. "*harlie's Angels" hea*liner
3. She and her *ister are a court t*osome
4. *riendly host for child*en
5. Au*hor of "*lear and Present Danger"

Back