Rejection

Kantarii

I'm Not A Bitch!
Rejection probably isn’t a central theme in most erotic stories. In reality it stems from unfulfilled expectations from one of two parties involved.

Something I’m working on in my next chapter delves into certain aspects of rejection centering being in love with someone who is in love with someone else. I don’t see rejection as a bad thing given how things eventually turned out for me in real life. Initially, I wanted to leave this aspect out of my storyline, but I can’t get past the fact it will leave a gap in the story of how two people(Best Friends) came together and shared something magical for a short period of time.

Okay, I’m babbling, but as a writer - would you touch on aspects of rejection or choose another route in your story?

https://www.literotica.com/s/best-friends-forever-pt-10

🌹Kant💋

Last edited:
I'm thinking about it for one I'm working on at the moment. It seems like the right way to conclude the story I have in mind, though I expect some of the readers will be sad.

Okay, I’m babbling, but as a writer - would you touch on aspects of rejection or choose another route in your story?

In my Unlikely Angels series (since removed from Lit), the first seven chapters ended with a mis-understanding and a rejection. It was very difficult to write. I posted those seven chapters with the intent that it would serve as the ending, although I already had another five chapters written.

The readers who loved the story up to that point absolutely hated that ending. I could hear the gnashing of teeth and the rending of garments from all the way out here in the desert.

I wouldn't do it again as an ending. I eventually published twenty one chapters, so the rejection became a dramatic interlude and it served well that way -- but not as an ending.

It was/is a central theme in my life (every day, every way), so I leave it out of stories/fantasies.

One of my recent stories involves a woman who has pined after her childhood best friend all her life and finally (over the course of the story) works up the nerve to reveal it to him. As it turns out, he's secretly felt the same way, so there is a happy ending. However, the male character has a girlfriend already who makes a minor appearance in the story. I did not spend any time fleshing out the aspect of her (presumed) future rejection both because it was not critical to the story line and because I didn't want to explore anything about rejection in general.

I received one negative comment about this. A reader curtly dismissed the entire story because they were upset about what the impact would ultimately be on the girlfriend (going so far as to explicitly reject the cathartic union of the central couple). The reader is entitled to their judgement, of course, however I generally disagree with the sentiment. It is clearly established that the hearts of these two main characters truly belong to one another. I would certainly not choose to make the male character continue stringing along another woman that he comes to realize is not The One. Ultimately, I see no evidence that this reader reaction was a trend, so no big deal.

It's not my style or interest to explore topics like rejection in a story, though admittedly I have previously admired stories where negative/sad themes have been addressed and sometimes even concluded unresolved or on a bittersweet note. In those cases, I think the authors have built a reputation of wrestling with difficult/awkward/painful situations, however, and build an expectation that things aren't always so rosy from the get-go. So I would say it's possible to execute without being yourself rejected by readers, though the risks are most certainly there.

🌹Kant💋
For your story cycle, I think absolutely yes, you should. Otherwise the truth of the tell goes missing.

My most personal story cycle here talks about the heartbreak of a failed relationship - there's closure of sorts, but it's still a tragedy. For a long while the final chapter was one of my highest rated stories, so readers responded to the aching heart.

It was/is a central theme in my life (every day, every way), so I leave it out of stories/fantasies.
Not so much rejection (not you), as selection (try a bunch and pick the best), avoidance (good reasons not to), delay (we're not ready yet), reluctance (well okay I guess) -- these pop up in some of my stories. But I don't aim for any specific moral themes, same as I don't try to engineer and resolve conflicts.

Plot bunnies possess their own dynamics and demands. What effects should a story and its elements arouse in a reader? Do I want them to laugh, cry, growl, shiver, masturbate, pout, grunt, or what? If conflict or rejection or assholery are called for, how violent should they be?

Rejection can be temporary. Some rejections evolve into acceptances. We can plot those as any of the rising story arcs:

* Rags to riches – a steady rise from bad to good fortune: /
* Man in a hole – fall, rise: \/
* Cinderella – rise, fall, rise: /\/

Love can turn to disgust or hate. Acceptances evolving into rejections follow any of the falling story arcs:

* Riches to rags – a fall from good to bad, a tragedy: \
* Icarus – a rise, then a fall in fortune: /\
* Oedipus – a fall, a rise, then a fall again: \/\

All these are just writers' tools. Use with discretion.

In my current work in-progress, both characters just ended long-term relationships and met each other on the rebound. While they have good chemistry early on, fear of eventual rejection factors in both of their descions and prevents them from making a commitment.

...At least I hope that comes across in the story.

For your story cycle, I think absolutely yes, you should. Otherwise the truth of the tell goes missing.

My most personal story cycle here talks about the heartbreak of a failed relationship - there's closure of sorts, but it's still a tragedy. For a long while the final chapter was one of my highest rated stories, so readers responded to the aching heart.

EB, you have probably read more of this storyline than anyone else. Your input is very valuable here, not that anyone else’s advice is unimportant.

I have reached a point in the story where the expectations of a relationship are at their height in the storyline where my heart was on my shoulder. Realistically, I knew what I was up against and I put myself out there after a wonderful night of sex. The rejection hurt, but, ultimately, things turned out for Brian and I - maybe not long, but yes.

Honestly, EB, I think you’re spot on with leaving it in the storyline. It’s important to show how the relationship between best friends🌹Kant

In my Unlikely Angels series (since removed from Lit), the first seven chapters ended with a mis-understanding and a rejection. It was very difficult to write. I posted those seven chapters with the intent that it would serve as the ending, although I already had another five chapters written.

The readers who loved the story up to that point absolutely hated that ending. I could hear the gnashing of teeth and the rending of garments from all the way out here in the desert.

I wouldn't do it again as an ending. I eventually published twenty one chapters, so the rejection became a dramatic interlude and it served well that way -- but not as an ending.

I’m going to agree with you on it being difficult to write. The first rejection in the storyline isn’t difficult for me to write. Things were worked out. Now, the ending for “BFF” - that’s going to be difficult to write reliving that moment. It’s heartbreaking in a sense, but, you know, without it, “A Slut’s Triangle” never would have been set in motion.🌹Kant

I understand your perspective. “BFF” is unfortunately a true to life story being told from my diary. When I finish it, that’s it and I’ll be right there with you in my next endeavor - “The Mantis”.🌹Kant

EB, you have probably read more of this storyline than anyone else. Your input is very valuable here, not that anyone else’s advice is unimportant.

I have reached a point in the story where the expectations of a relationship are at their height in the storyline where my heart was on my shoulder. Realistically, I knew what I was up against and I put myself out there after a wonderful night of sex. The rejection hurt, but, ultimately, things turned out for Brian and I - maybe not long, but yes.

Honestly, EB, I think you’re spot on with leaving it in the storyline. It’s important to show how the relationship between best friends🌹Kant

Kant, I've also kept up with your story to date, and concur with electricblue's advice. IMO, it seems you have already prepared the readers with the tension of being unsure about you and Brian and his other relationship. In my own case, I have already been expecting the fact it won't work out. Therefore, I would not only write the truth, but would also encourage you to not do it halfheartedly. The power will be in the tears you have as you write it. I know that's a personal decision you have to make...since this is very personal. Follow your intuition ~

I've said before your heart's on your sleeve with this story, so if it's got to bleed, so be it. If you censor yourself now, why bother? You got to weep before you can dry those eyes. It's in every song :).

Kant, I've also kept up with your story to date, and concur with electricblue's advice. IMO, it seems you have already prepared the readers with the tension of being unsure about you and Brian and his other relationship. In my own case, I have already been expecting the fact it won't work out. Therefore, I would not only write the truth, but would also encourage you to not do it halfheartedly. The power will be in the tears you have as you write it. I know that's a personal decision you have to make...since this is very personal. Follow your intuition ~

Thanks Yukon. Yeah, you’ve been with me awhile, too. Your words of encouragement have been a driving force with me as well.

Length wise, the 9 chapters I have so far only take up the first weekend Brian moved it. I doubt many readers pick up on that fact. After our first sexual encounter and all the tension, yeah, I knew what I was up against. I had to ask him, test the waters knowing the answer was going to be no in some form. Initially, I don’t see it as rejection because a turn of events did foster a situation that allowed a brief 6 month relationship between us. Something I never found with a guy in “AST”.

I know it’s going to be painful when I do reach the end of the storyline, but the readers probably won’t diss the ending because, in the end, our friendship survived. 🌹Kant💋

I've said before your heart's on your sleeve with this story, so if it's got to bleed, so be it. If you censor yourself now, why bother? You got to weep before you can dry those eyes. It's in every song :).

EB, the first rejection is a soft rejection, but easily solved temporarily. I removed it and read what I have drafted so far without it. Predictably, it’s a huge, huge gap just removing a few lines of dialogue only to traverse one sex scene to the next without dealing with my expectations or the possible consequences after our first sexual encounter. It makes the entire storyline read horribly wrong - like Brian is going to keep fucking me and forget about Sara.

I’m going to include the soft rejection in the next chapter. The eventual end, when I reach that point, will hopefully give the reader an understanding of how much I valued Brian as a friend and take the sting of the ending away.
🌹Kant👠👠👠

Thanks Yukon. Yeah, you’ve been with me awhile, too. Your words of encouragement have been a driving force with me as well.

Length wise, the 9 chapters I have so far only take up the first weekend Brian moved it. I doubt many readers pick up on that fact. After our first sexual encounter and all the tension, yeah, I knew what I was up against. I had to ask him, test the waters knowing the answer was going to be no in some form. Initially, I don’t see it as rejection because a turn of events did foster a situation that allowed a brief 6 month relationship between us. Something I never found with a guy in “AST”.

I know it’s going to be painful when I do reach the end of the storyline, but the readers probably won’t diss the ending because, in the end, our friendship survived. 🌹Kant💋

Since the friendship survives, IMO that is even more reason to fully explore the depth of pain the breakup caused you...I guess if I was writing the story this pain would be the central theme and purpose of it, and I'd try to gut punch the reader into joining in my pain. The friendship ending sounds somewhat like an epilogue where you can soothe over any ruffled feathers some readers may have...but I'd be tempted to leave 'em all crying. I believe that would be more memorable that a 'happy ever after'...but since this is an autobiographical piece, you'll just have to decide where to end it.

I had a story that did reasonably well that ended with rejection. The narrator is flashing back, speaking about a sexual encounter that his partner seems to enjoy, but then asks him to leave with a seemingly flimsy reason. The narrator learns a bit of a lesson from the experience.

If it's important to you to tell the story including the rejection, then go for it! The community here has demonstrated it has a lot of interest in the curious feelings and emotions of all kind here. Despite being erotica, a large part of the audience is interested in more than just Tab A, Slot B, Slot C, Tab D, etc.

I had a story that did reasonably well that ended with rejection. The narrator is flashing back, speaking about a sexual encounter that his partner seems to enjoy, but then asks him to leave with a seemingly flimsy reason. The narrator learns a bit of a lesson from the experience.

If it's important to you to tell the story including the rejection, then go for it! The community here has demonstrated it has a lot of interest in the curious feelings and emotions of all kind here. Despite being erotica, a large part of the audience is interested in more than just Tab A, Slot B, Slot C, Tab D, etc.

Off topic, but your join date 12-02 coincides with my birthday. That’s kinda cool - and weird given the 1/365 probability. 🌹Kant👠👠👠

Off topic, but your join date 12-02 coincides with my birthday. That’s kinda cool - and weird given the 1/365 probability. 🌹Kant👠👠👠

You hadn't heard? My joining was supposed to be a birthday present, but I guess they forgot to tell you. :D

I was reviewing a story to go into an anthology yesterday ("Scorched by the Sun") and realized it was a rejection story--a studio driver hit on by a TV star who was a "one and done" guy and then cut the studio driver, who thought there would be more, off. The theme, though, was that the studio driver was lucky to have been rejected (after being tried out). So, I think rejection can be done as an erotic theme.

So, I think rejection can be done as an erotic theme.
Drama can bloom when a player is rejected by a user or abuser. An innocent may be rejected before suffering too much damage. "I will survive." Or a victim may not take rejection easily. "You broke my heart so I busted your jaw." Rejection can play out in many ways. (I still retain my first rejection slip, from Evergreen Review.) Ah, the heartbreak of learning of rejection via tweet.

Rejection probably isn’t a central theme in most erotic stories. In reality it stems from unfulfilled expectations from one of two parties involved.

Something I’m working on in my next chapter delves into certain aspects of rejection centering being in love with someone who is in love with someone else. I don’t see rejection as a bad thing given how things eventually turned out for me in real life. Initially, I wanted to leave this aspect out of my storyline, but I can’t get past the fact it will leave a gap in the story of how two people(Best Friends) came together and shared something magical for a short period of time.

🌹Kant💋

That's a tough one to answer in general terms; I think, inherently, we all desire a happy ending because the alternative is *too* realistic. That being said, your story is real and it should stay real. By censoring yourself now or leaving out bits because they might be too painful for the readers, you're losing some of what makes your writing so great--truth.

One thing that draws in readers and traps them in a story is a connection to the main character; if they've kept up with your works to date, then they feel this bond with you and understand the hardships you go through. By accepting that, they have to also realize that rejection, as painful as it can be, is another means by which they can relate.

That's a tough one to answer in general terms; I think, inherently, we all desire a happy ending because the alternative is *too* realistic. That being said, your story is real and it should stay real. By censoring yourself now or leaving out bits because they might be too painful for the readers, you're losing some of what makes your writing so great--truth.

One thing that draws in readers and traps them in a story is a connection to the main character; if they've kept up with your works to date, then they feel this bond with you and understand the hardships you go through. By accepting that, they have to also realize that rejection, as painful as it can be, is another means by which they can relate.

I just don’t want to go all “old yeller” Disney style on it.

Your comment is very encouraging. As painful as it is, I’m committed to telling the story uncensored 🌹

Back