Recognition for New Poets

My Erotic Tale said:
Thanks leon~

your insightfullness is always appreciated. I had forgotten what poem that word was placed and was meaning to look it up but I got less time than a bare tree has leaves <grin> I am slowly and I mean slowly learning the mechanics of writing, a rather I want to or not, the brain absorbs the information. a good thing too <grin>

dialectic dialogue?

Dialectic dialogue? Isn't that a redundancy or are you preparing to take off into philosophical discourse in the Western {Aristotelian} tradition? If so, let me grab a bucket of that chicken from your other thread {I'll pass on the KFC, Mrs. Winner's is better - bigger, juicier breasts :D }.

LeBroz said:
Dialectic dialogue? Isn't that a redundancy or are you preparing to take off into philosophical discourse in the Western {Aristotelian} tradition? If so, let me grab a bucket of that chicken from your other thread {I'll pass on the KFC, Mrs. Winner's is better - bigger, juicier breasts :D }.

laughing my ass off,
your a witty one leon!
I always get mine from the "Hen House" diner
now talk about big breasts, meaty thighs and legs.
you found me out...I just love to wing it!

I just never knew buffalos had wings <grin>

My Erotic Tale said:
laughing my ass off,
your a witty one leon!
I always get mine from the "Hen House" diner
now talk about big breasts, meaty thighs and legs.
you found me out...I just love to wing it!

I just never knew buffalos had wings <grin>

Thanks Art - for charging me with being witty. It's a charge I rarely hear since mine's a rather dry wit - a "disease" I picked up from my Brit colleagues while stationed in Belgium for 3 years.

Here's a little something I whipped up after reading of two rafting groups on the Colorado in the Grand Canyon; one a group of scientists, the other a group of Creationists.

The last two lines are a bit discordant; don't know if I ought to change them to stay with the rhythm of the rest of the verse or leave as is with the discordancy to underscore the whole concept of two groups of grown-up "children" facing off and hurling insults and raspberries past each other. Whatcha think?

Intelligent Design

The evidence presented
for all to look and see
and looking at the ancient rock,
see many different things.

Science sees great pressures
of rock deformed and shaped;
Design sees rock unchanged
save by events of late.

The evidence presented
for all to look and see
and looking at the living earth,

Science sees such changes
of eons long slow pace;
Design sees life unchanging,
deposited in place.

Science and Design,
they stand so far apart;
and speak they do in fiery tones
wrapped up in different tongues.

:confused:

LeBroz said:
Thanks Art - for charging me with being witty. It's a charge I rarely hear since mine's a rather dry wit - a "disease" I picked up from my Brit colleagues while stationed in Belgium for 3 years.

Here's a little something I whipped up after reading of two rafting groups on the Colorado in the Grand Canyon; one a group of scientists, the other a group of Creationists.

The last two lines are a bit discordant; don't know if I ought to change them to stay with the rhythm of the rest of the verse or leave as is with the discordancy to underscore the whole concept of two groups of grown-up "children" facing off and hurling insults and raspberries past each other. Whatcha think?

Intelligent Design

The evidence presented
for all to look and see
and looking at the ancient rock,

Science sees great pressures
of rock deformed and shaped;
Design sees rock unchanged
save by events of late.

The evidence presented
for all to look and see
and looking at the living earth,

Science sees such changes
of eons long slow pace;
Design sees life unchanging,
deposited in place.

Science and Design,
they stand so far apart;
and speak they do in fiery tones
wrapped up in different tongues.

:confused:

I think your a witty one leon <grin>
I loved the poem and think that the ending ties it all together nicely as a stop regardless of rhyme ...like an ending to a song...

I also see your very observant <grin> I liked this...

I think your right <smile>

a lesson for us all, but a thought for new poets...

Originally Posted by Lauren Hynde
Academic credentials mean very little when it comes to writing poetry, and not necessarily that much more when it comes to commenting on it.

The knowledge that should come with the credentials help. Having read great poetry, understanding what makes it great. Wanting to learn is as important. The driving force. Respect for the language is the only fundamental requirement.

Putting more emphasis on who says or writes something (a poem or a critique) than on what is said is not a good sign. By itself, without the things I mentioned above, an academic credential means less than nothing. Given enough time in the right school, a trained monkey could be a Lit Major. It would be an inevitability.

My Erotic Tale said:
I think your a witty one leon <grin>
I loved the poem and think that the ending ties it all together nicely as a stop regardless of rhyme ...like an ending to a song...

I also see your very observant <grin> I liked this...

I think your right <smile>

Thanks Art - and, with this and your message in mind, I've gone and actually submitted it. Figured, what the hell; as this critic has said before on more than one occasion, any idiot can be a critic. :rolleyes:

Working on a couple other little ones, inspired by some of Laura's work, though nowhere near as good as her stuff. ;)

BTW, I've also decided it's time to shut down my anonymous feedback - if someone wants to tell me it sucks, they can stand on two feet like a modern human or scurry back into the undergrowth, wrap their tail around a branch, and play with themselves til they can play no more!

LeBroz said:
Thanks Art - and, with this and your message in mind, I've gone and actually submitted it. Figured, what the hell; as this critic has said before on more than one occasion, any idiot can be a critic. :rolleyes:

Working on a couple other little ones, inspired by some of Laura's work, though nowhere near as good as her stuff. ;)

BTW, I've also decided it's time to shut down my anonymous feedback - if someone wants to tell me it sucks, they can stand on two feet like a modern human or scurry back into the undergrowth, wrap their tail around a branch, and play with themselves til they can play no more!

bravo leon...

it is a very witty poem and I for one look forward to seeing it blossom
as for feedback ....you have to take the good with the bad

I use to think of it as chipping away at someones creative literary art if a critic spat that is was not good. Now I see a critic rather they have character flaws or not <bigrin>

My Erotic Tale said:
bravo leon...

I use to think of it as chipping away at someones creative literary art if a critic spat that is was not good. Now I see a critic rather they have character flaws or not <bigrin>

Having had practice here at being a critic, I was reined in on more than one occasion and reminded of intense training I received some years ago on writing critiques and evaluations - if criticism is seen as attacking - if you tell someone what's wrong with them - the critic loses credibility (too negative) and the points raised in the critique are ignored; it becomes a lose-lose situation.

So from my perspective, abusive critics are impotent. The less they have to say and offer, the louder they'll say it and offer it. :D

Well, let me eat some dinner and see if my muse is up or comatose tonight....

LeBroz said:
Having had practice here at being a critic, I was reined in on more than one occasion and reminded of intense training I received some years ago on writing critiques and evaluations - if criticism is seen as attacking - if you tell someone what's wrong with them - the critic loses credibility (too negative) and the points raised in the critique are ignored; it becomes a lose-lose situation.

So from my perspective, abusive critics are impotent. The less they have to say and offer, the louder they'll say it and offer it. :D

Well, let me eat some dinner and see if my muse is up or comatose tonight....

opinions are like smiles <grin>
but then so are frowns

there is an art to conversation which stems into the internet as well. Our characters come through in our words and I have been around long enough to know which Members know what they are talking about and which are brushing their egos. Now new poets are like a fresh breeze since we all read each others styles over and over. If I read between the lines with 1201; one of his comments was that 'he was tired of the same old crap' <or there abouts> and yes you and Du and a few others <grin> leave wonderful feedback that can be understood and said in a polite way which leaves you wanting and willing to consider the suggestion.

hey, LeBroz, sometimes you have to hit a hard head with a board, this jack-ass has been pissing and moaning for over a year now, even when someone tries to point something out gently.
Guess what, name calling too, Guess what his tactics don't work on me.

So what have you learned form the "Academy"?

twelveoone said:
hey, LeBroz, sometimes you have to hit a hard head with a board, this jack-ass has been pissing and moaning for over a year now, even when someone tries to point something out gently.
Guess what, name calling too, Guess what his tactics don't work on me.

So what have you learned form the "Academy"?

I THINK YOUR MISSING THE POINT HERE 12.

I am in poet training <grin> leon is helping me understand many aspects of poetry as well as writing with a polite online personality that we can all learn from.

there must be a better way to teach poets about poetry rather than shitting on their poems with unconstructive comments and low votes....

My Erotic Trail said:
there must be a better way to teach poets about poetry rather than shitting on their poems with unconstructive comments and low votes....
happy holidays!

My Erotic Tale said:
bravo leon...

This is a good point, Art. I was always taught as an editor that it's important to develop a good relationship with the writers one edits. Each writer feels very protective of his or her own work. It is very easy to make editorial comments or give critiques that can make a writer feel defensive. That's counterproductive. A good editor learns how to be honest but tactful so the writer doesn't feel so personally threatened by the critique that he or she will be unlikely to see how helpful the suggestions are. Of course, part of the responsibility belongs to the writer--he or she needs to learn to take what is helpful and discard the rest, but to me the best critiques are honest but kind. I think Eve and Pat Carrington are two examples of people here who are good at giving that sort of critique. Name-calling doesn't help me learn anything. :)

Angeline said:
This is a good point, Art. I was always taught as an editor that it's important to develop a good relationship with the writers one edits. Each writer feels very protective of his or her own work. It is very easy to make editorial comments or give critiques that can make a writer feel defensive. That's counterproductive. A good editor learns how to be honest but tactful so the writer doesn't feel so personally threatened by the critique that he or she will be unlikely to see how helpful the suggestions are. Of course, part of the responsibility belongs to the writer--he or she needs to learn to take what is helpful and discard the rest, but to me the best critiques are honest but kind. I think Eve and Pat Carrington are two examples of people here who are good at giving that sort of critique. Name-calling doesn't help me learn anything. :)

Thanks Ang~

I have learned a tad bit of the who's who here so when I recieve a comment from say...wicked..I am all ears, she leaves constructive advice if she see's something in the poem with out any negative emotions or downing wording. She might add her wicked humor but I can't recall any horrific comments.

When you don't see eye to eye with another poet and they leave a negative comment, do they honestly believe you'll take them seriously? Ignore the commentor of spite?

And then you have the new poets testing there commenting skills that you must encourage the new and excited yet do you take them serious as well?

I think the writer goes down an avenue and paves the road for the poem then others tend to come along and offer alternate routes. Who is to say who is right as long as the words are layed out how much reconstruction should one do with a poem. I have read where you can change poems annually as you change your feelings in the poem change so I relish the moment of thought laid in a poem, the true emotions before all the corrective change is laid upon it.

so knowing the critic's helps in what is to be taken seriously or not...this does not exactly mean credentials but earnest views.

My Erotic Tale said:
Thanks Ang~

I have learned a tad bit of the who's who here so when I recieve a comment from say...wicked..I am all ears, she leaves constructive advice if she see's something in the poem with out any negative emotions or downing wording. She might add her wicked humor but I can't recall any horrific comments.

When you don't see eye to eye with another poet and they leave a negative comment, do they honestly believe you'll take them seriously? Ignore the commentor of spite?

And then you have the new poets testing there commenting skills that you must encourage the new and excited yet do you take them serious as well?

I think the writer goes down an avenue and paves the road for the poem then others tend to come along and offer alternate routes. Who is to say who is right as long as the words are layed out how much reconstruction should one do with a poem. I have read where you can change poems annually as you change your feelings in the poem change so I relish the moment of thought laid in a poem, the true emotions before all the corrective change is laid upon it.

so knowing the critic's helps in what is to be taken seriously or not...this does not exactly mean credentials but earnest views.

I enjoy writing my first draft and the process I go through to get the poem to that point. Some poems I write will go far beyond there, some won't (with or without critiques). Either way, I relish whatever I get out of every writing experience and take what I can from those who help me along the way.

And credentials are mainly overrated in my experience. ;)

Merry Christmas. I hope you're having a good day.

eagleyez and I are relaxing after lots of cooking and entertaining--and we just found out that the big snowstorm we expected tonight is going to be mainly rain. Seeing as how most days around here this time of year are pretty white, that's a very good Christmas present. :D

:rose:

Angeline said:
I enjoy writing my first draft and the process I go through to get the poem to that point. Some poems I write will go far beyond there, some won't (with or without critiques). Either way, I relish whatever I get out of every writing experience and take what I can from those who help me along the way.

And credentials are mainly overrated in my experience. ;)

Merry Christmas. I hope you're having a good day.

eagleyez and I are relaxing after lots of cooking and entertaining--and we just found out that the big snowstorm we expected tonight is going to be mainly rain. Seeing as how most days around here this time of year are pretty white, that's a very good Christmas present. :D

kool beens (~_*)

LittleMinna said:
I'll probably do it anyway, exhibitionist that I am. But, I'm a sucker for encouragement. Thanks, especially for yours.

LM
I can only hope you are.

My goodness there seems to be a big influx of poets new to Literotica, but definately not new to the pen.... check on the New Poems Review thread to get some recommendations for new people who need to be read. I will post them here later tonight..

~as

annaswirls said:
My goodness there seems to be a big influx of poets new to Literotica, but definately not new to the pen.... check on the New Poems Review thread to get some recommendations for new people who need to be read. I will post them here later tonight..

~as

Alexis661... I liked her poetry. And...she has credentials (O_O) but most of all she finally submitted her stuff. Not a member of the survival contest although it may appear that way <grin, welcome to lit poetry Alexis...I am ordering her book, Angel <grin...>amazon

Bump .....

Wow, cannot believe it's been so long since this thread was up and running ~

Sweet Torment

Please have my new poem reviewed. Please have it in a discussion circle. Please do whatever you can to get people to read, respond, vote and comment. This is the first poem I have written in 40 yrs. It came to me fast and easy. When I was a teenager I wrote poetry often. I believe this wont be the last you hear of me. Thanks for having this thread. Dreamykitten2
:rose::kiss::cattail::cathappy::catgrin::catroar:

Back