Protection, at a price ... (Closed for DM & DeathsKnight)

Benjamin Krauze

He chuckled

"See? Even you are now getting into the idea of protecting you. I'll have a look at the place a bit later and we can decide if it will work or not"

He picked up a cloth and spun it on the top of his finger

"Of course I'm serious of wanting to help, I'm not here to just stand around and look pretty while you get all..."

He looked her up and down

"Colorful"

He gave her a grin

"and of course your equipment and art forms will get a bit heavy in those boxes so I'll be happy to help out with that"

He tossed the cloth into an empty bucket and picked up the bucket

"And why ask Mrs Martinez? I'm sure we can get it all sparkly and clean all by ourself, whatcha say? You up for the challenge Dorothea Lange?"

"See? Even you are now getting into the idea of protecting you. I'll have a look at the place a bit later and we can decide if it will work or not"

Samantha rolled her eyes and gave a mock pout.

"I have no choice, do I? ... bullied into submission, I think they call it ..."

She tried to look indignant, but came nowhere near to pulling it off, his chuckle making it iimpossible to even feign bad humour.

He picked up a cloth and spun it on the top of his finger

"Of course I'm serious of wanting to help, I'm not here to just stand around and look pretty while you get all..."

She laughed at the idea of him "looking pretty". He was way too masculine to ever be described as such, though to her eyes he was ...

"Colorful"

She pulled her attention back to Benjamin, aware that his eyes were running up and down her body. Looking down she noticed the smudges of paint, even chalk that bedaubed her bare legs and even stained her shirt top.

She shrugged in answer. It wasn't that she was vain, well no more than the norm, but somehow looking a mess in front of, as she was about to admit to herself, handsome man, wasn't ... usual. But then nothing about this situation was "usual"!

"and of course your equipment and art forms will get a bit heavy in those boxes so I'll be happy to help out with that"

She smiled. He was an enigma: The predictable single-minded ruthlessness of a military man and yet ... in their short time together she knew he had a side that although not "soft" was ... warm ... and full of humour...

"And why ask Mrs Martinez? I'm sure we can get it all sparkly and clean all by ourself, whatcha say? You up for the challenge Dorothea Lange?"

Her eyes widened in surprise. She was sure he was challenging her!

"Well ... if you're game ... I can hardly say no ... "

She responded with a laugh. She definitely wasn't used to "cleaning" or having to do any really domestic stuff, but that didn't mean that she didn't know how to, or that she wouldn't.

"Deal..."

She answered holding her hand out to him in agreement.

A gesture that led to a solid two hours of frenzied packing, lifting, cleaning, sweeping .... neither it seemed wanting to give in and give up first.

Benjamin Krauze

In the time that they were cleaning away, he had to get rid of his shirt, it was warm and the black seemed to attract dust, paint and chalk. The t-shirt he wore under the shirt was lighter, still black, but thinned material and underneath that was his kevlar vest. One thing he could not hide after removing his shirt was his constant companions, two .45 Desert Eagles, one riding in a shoulder holster and the other in the small of his back. He was enjoying himself, despite the dirt and sweat, it was exhilarating to do something different for a change. Just as it became apparent that neither one of them was going to back down, the report for lunch came over his comm set and shortly there was a knock on the door.

Benjamin went down to make sure it was safe and then opened the door, from the guard's curious look he figured that he didn't look very good at that exact moment.

"You been cleaning boss?"

Benjamin took the basket from him and peeked inside

"Keeps my nose clean...figuratively speaking of course"

The guard chuckled

"I heard you crept up on some of the guys, they must have had quite a scare"

"It worked to get them to sharpen up their security, so it was worth the time and effort"

"Well enjoy boss, time for me to go hit the hay, pulled night shift"

Benjamin smiled and nodded, the guard left, he closed and locked the door and carried the food upstairs. It did smell great.

Samantha knew that Benjamin carried weapons; of course she did! Yet she did do a double take when he shed his shirt to reveal the holsters equipping him should he need to take action. She found the sight bizarre somehow. This man who was imposing in every way seemed to actually be enjoying cleaning, sorting and carrying. And so it was easy to fall back into the routine of co-operation that they seem to have established; a purposeful rhythm of work that seemed never ending!

When Benjamin went to answer the knock on the door, Samantha slowed to catch her breath, but did not stop until she called her name and she smelt the food wafting towards her.

Wearily she stood and brushed off her shorts and cast an eye down to her shirt. She did have a change of clothes, but now didn't seem the right time, besides Benjamin she noted looked as bad, if not worse than she!

"I'm whacked!"

She announded and fell into the two-seater sofa in the library.

"Let's just eat here ..."

Reluctant to waste time and energy setting up in the kitchen she waved Benjamin over to set the food down on the adjacent low table.

Samantha didn't realise how ... cosy ... the sofa was until Benjamin lowered himself down beside her to take up his share of the cocooning upholstery ...

Benjamin Krauze

He placed down the food and sat down in the only seat available, right next to her. He stretched out his legs and grinned down at his clothes, he looked like some watercolor Picasso which landed under a shower. He wasn't tired yet, but he could understand that Samantha would be, they have seriously neglected her fitness the past few months.

"Been meaning to ask you, are you up to go jogging every morning? I have a few trials mapped out, which would change the scenery a bit and with the added security teams, there is even more ground available to use"

He picked up his plate and started to eat his food, the cook really placed a lot of effort into this one and he wondered why.

The food was delicious and tasted all the more so after so much activity. Samantha settled into the plush sofa and began to eat, smiling across at Benjamin as he did the same.

"Been meaning to ask you, are you up to go jogging every morning? I have a few trials mapped out, which would change the scenery a bit and with the added security teams, there is even more ground available to use"

She laughed as he spoke.

"Jogging!?!"

She shook her head. Jogging had never been high on her agenda of activities, though the idea of being out and about appealed to her.

"I've never been into jogging ... or running .... "

She told him.

"I always preferred swimming, dance and way back I did a bit of gymnastics ... "

... besides, she had to admit that she would hardly be able to keep up with the man beside her.
She guessed that despite his height, he would be able to move with great speed and agility should he ever need to ...

" ... are you putting in for the role as my personal trainer now...?"

She quipped.

"I thought that I was enough trouble as the body you had to guard ... "

Somehow that comment hadn't quite matched the way she had formulated it in her head.
She blushed thinking that he seemed amused by her words and tried not to notice the way his gaze seemed to run over her body. All too aware of the paint-daubed legs, shorts and tied-in-shirt, Samantha studied her plate and began to eat again ...

:rose:

Last edited:
Benjamin Krauze

He chuckled

"Well then, if you don't want to take a jog around the estate, we will have to try and find another thing to do. Let's see, swimming is out due to certain issues, dancing...well maybe we can arrange for you to have a private instructor and gymnastics..."

He grinned

"But then why don't I give you a nice workout...my way? If you like it we can stick to it"

He purposely avoided making any further comment on her body being a problem to protect...her body was the last thing that was a problem.

"Well then, if you don't want to take a jog around the estate, we will have to try and find another thing to do. Let's see, swimming is out due to certain issues, dancing...well maybe we can arrange for you to have a private instructor and gymnastics..."

She grimaced. It was years since she'd done gymnastics. She could still handstand, turn cartwheels, but doubted that she'd be up to the attentions of a private instructor!

"But then why don't I give you a nice workout...my way? If you like it we can stick to it"

She set her emtpy plate aside and turned to look at him.

".. a workout ... your way...?"

She had no idea what he meant, but found her mind wandering as to what ways he might find for them to ... exercise ... if he were indeed her personal trainer ...

"... you obviously think I'm outta condition then ... "

She commented with a mock pout, but could not resist a grin as she stood, steadying herself as she did so. Picking up her plate, she turned towards the kitchen.

"... D'you want a drink ...?"

She asked knowing she definitely needed some ice water to quench her thirst and cool her down ...

He purposely avoided making any further comment on her body being a problem to protect...her body was the last thing that was a problem.[/QUOTE]

Benjamin Krauze

"Yes, just some basic exercise that keeps you fit"

He chuckled

"Not really out of shape, but I'm guessing that walking down the drive and back at a pace set by guards, is not really a workout"

He shrugged

"It stays up to you of course and I would love some water, I remember there being some in the fridge"

He got up and followed her, taking her plate from her and started to clean their plates and cutlery. Leaving her free to get the water

"OK to be honest it's some self defense training, things that would really be very useful to you and it would keep you fit as well"

She laughed with him as he replied and agreed:

"No .. my previous protection has been somewhat.. suffocating..."

She went to the fridge and tried not to show her surprise as he started to deal with the plates and cutlery. There was something ... companionable ... about Benjamin Krauze, about the way he just fell into routine. Not at all what she had expected when she had first laid eyes on him!

"OK to be honest it's some self defense training, things that would really be very useful to you and it would keep you fit as well"

She handed him the bottle of water and took a sip of her own considering his admission.

"I guess self defence training would be ... sensible ... "

She conceded.

" ... and after all this is over, it would be useful to deal with over amorous boyfriends ... "!

She laughed at the idea.

"Not that I even get the chance at a social life of late .... let alone ... "

She blushed and turned away sipping at the water once more and decided to change the subject.

"We really did a good job on my studio ... all I need now is some new equipment ... "

She turned back to him then with a mock pleading look .... though sure that he had not yet had chance to risk assess any potential shopping trip ...

Benjamin Krauze

He looked about, they did do a good job indeed, maybe it was time to take a breather and get to her supplies in the morning if the suppliers checked out. He brushed a hand through his hair and took a sip of his water, his mind wandering. He had been too long in this game, that was clear to see, he was growing older, achieved nothing and had nothing to look out for after a long day at work...

"I'll run your list of supplies through the main frame tonight and see what we can get to do tomorrow"

He turned to face her

"Got anything else you would have liked to do today?"

"I'll run your list of supplies through the main frame tonight and see what we can get to do tomorrow"

She smiled. He was definitely being more co-operative than she had ever thought, but then Samantha had to admit, she too was co-operating with him rather than pulling stunts and challenging him.

"Got anything else you would have liked to do today?"

She laughed. He was trying to kill her off. She had gone from a very sedentary existance to one full of activity.

"How about we just head out to the jetty ... I wouldn't mind spending time sketching ... been a long time since I spent time out there ... "

She suggested...

Benjamin Krauze

"Sure, but let me just state one thing first..."

He dried the dishes and stacked them in the basket again

"That we both go clean up first, I'm feeling like a little pig who rolled around in the mud and I'm guessing that I'm not looking much better either"

He moved over to get his shirt and picked up the basket

"Then we can spend the rest of the day on the pier"

"Sure, but let me just state one thing first..."

She braced herself expecting a list of conditions.

"That we both go clean up first, I'm feeling like a little pig who rolled around in the mud and I'm guessing that I'm not looking much better either.
Then we can spend the rest of the day on the pier"

Samantha let her eyes move slowly over his body.

"We both look ... colourful ... "

She chuckled.

"Well ... I came prepared ... clean jeans and shirt ... and there's a shower room just through there ..."

She indicated.

"Whilst you ... "

She laughed.

"You sure did throw yourself into this, didn't you? "

She teased.

"You look .... "

She seemed to consider.

" ... very artistic ... "

She reached out and rubbed a smudge on his tshirt. surprised by how hard his body felt beneath her palm ...

"Well ... I didn't ..."

Last edited:
Benjamin Krauze

He arched an eyebrow

"You didn't?"

He chuckled

"Oh but you did throw yourself wholeheartedly into this cleaning session, you look much worse than me. I think even the pickiest and most full of nonsense Corporal would not be able to find any fault in the work you did"

He grinned

"The state of your clothes, now that is a different story"

He looked down at his smudged clothing

"Well I'm sure I can stay like this, I'm not too dirty, why don't you clean up and then we can get going"

"Oh but you did throw yourself wholeheartedly into this cleaning session, you look much worse than me. I think even the pickiest and most full of nonsense Corporal would not be able to find any fault in the work you did"

Samantha smiled at his comment. From Benjamin, she considered that a complement. She could not help the idea of him as a Corporal putting her through her paces and giggled at the image.

"The state of your clothes, now that is a different story"

She looked down at herself as if assessing her appearance for the first time.
She was a mess ... and a total contrast from the image she had within her circle of friends. If they saw her like this ... !

"Well I'm sure I can stay like this, I'm not too dirty, why don't you clean up and then we can get going"

She looked at him with the same critical gaze.

"I think a bit of colour suits you ... "

She told him.

"Do you always wear black ..?"

As she spoke she began to loosened the knot at the waist and pulled off the checked shirt, shaking it before turning to stuff it into her rucksack.

"I reckon I'll do for now ... after all ... no one to see us, right?"

She picked the shirt from the door and pulled it on, leaving it loose rather than buttoning it up.

"It's too warm for jeans and besides ... if I look too bad I can go paddling!"

She giggled at the thought and turned to search out a pad and pack a small case of pencils and charoals.

"Ready?"

She asked him eager to get outside once more.

Benjamin Krauze

"Yes I always wear black, brings out the color of my hair"

He said it with such a straight face that the joke would have gone to waste if it wasn't for the little twinkle in his eyes.

"Well just don't start complaining about having an odor and that I didn't give you time to freshen up. I know how picky ladies can be at times"

This time he grinned at his joke and ducked out of the door, he headed to the front door and waited for her. He opened the door for her, then closed and locked it behind him. Falling into step with her, he strolled with her along the short pier, pulling on his shirt and zipping it close.

"Yes I always wear black, brings out the color of my hair.
Well just don't start complaining about having an odor and that I didn't give you time to freshen up. I know how picky ladies can be at times"

Samantha looked astounded as he joked around. As she fell into step with him, she gave him a shove, finding him to solid that she could hardly shift his body at all.

"So .. I'm a mess ... I ... have an odor ...!?!?"

She gave a mock pout and pretended to be upset with him.

"It's a wonder you don't demand more money to protect such an ... unsavoury ... person ....l "

She moved in front of him in mock flounce and threw herself down on the jetty, kicking off her footware and dangling her feet in the cool water beneath.

"If you want to guard me from a distance, feel free .. "

She threw back at him.

"No obligation to get ... up close and personal ... "

She halted, flushing slightly.
That wasn't exactly what she'd meant to say .... !

After all ... as he said ... he was seeing her at her worst ... not that she wanted to look "good" for him ... he was just a body guard ... protection was something she had to put up with for her own safety ... until everything was sorted ... though ... she had to admit ... she was actually enjoying Benjamin's company ... and his irreverent teasing ...
He was probably the only guy she'd known who wasn't aware of her being "daddy's daughter" and treating her differently because of it.

She reached for her case and searched through her drawing materials keeping her face averted to mask the unexpected blush that still coloured her cheeks.

Benjamin Krauze

"Oh but who said that the payment I get is not of such a sum that would cover such discomforts?"

He smiled as he joked back with her, it was always fun to have somebody be themselves around him. It made his work so much easier. He noticed the sudden blush and could only guess at her thoughts, he looked out over the pond, one hand in his pocket, the other's thumb hooked into his belt. The sun was nice, not too warm yet, he made a mental note to make sure that when it becomes warmer and he was still here to carry sunblock with him. Had to look after her skin, it was delicate and smooth.

"Oh but who said that the payment I get is not of such a sum that would cover such discomforts?"

She looked up at him once more, a pencil between her fingers now.

"You'll end up bankrupting Daddy then ..."

She commented, wondering fleetingly how long this would all be necessary.

" ... such ... terrible conditions of employment ... "

She giggled, but found drawn to really taking in the appearance of the man who sat with her. He definitely looked much more efficient, much more capable than her previous body guards ... but ... if she were in danger, then surely he would be, even more so if anything.

"What made you take on work like this .... ? Surely no amoutn of money is worth risking your life for?"

She shuddered as the reality of the danger she was in hit her afresh.

Benjamin Krauze

His gaze returned to her as she asked her question. Why indeed?

"Well if done correctly I don't have to put my life on the line. That is why I have such a good record, I plan ahead, I make sure everything is as safe as possible. The moment I need to pull a gun, I have basically failed in my work"

He smiled

"And the perks of the job is nice too, I get to walk around with a beautiful lady and make the other guys jealous"

"Well if done correctly I don't have to put my life on the line. That is why I have such a good record, I plan ahead, I make sure everything is as safe as possible. The moment I need to pull a gun, I have basically failed in my work"

She nodded as he smiled. She remembered what had happened last month. The whole episode had really scared her. He was right. By that time things had already gone too far.

"And the perks of the job is nice too, I get to walk around with a beautiful lady and make the other guys jealous"

His words were unexpected and she laughed, but could not avoid a slight blush.

" ... lovely wasn't the way I remember being described ... "

She quipped.

" ... besides ... who is there to be jealous ... ?"

She looked round and saw no one visible, although she knew the whole area was patrolled.

" ... and it's been a while since I was able to go out socially, let alone on a date ... "

Benjamin Krauze

He chuckled

"I'm sure that at least one of the five guys watching us now will give anything to be here where I am now"

He smiled at her

"And I don't care what anybody else say, you are a beautiful young lady and don't you forget that"

He was amused at her blush, it made her look so cute

"And like I had stated, work along as perfectly as you are doing now and your social life might just pick up again"

He felt a slight tug of jealousy, but he quickly shoved it aside. She was a client, not his girlfriend.

"I'm sure that at least one of the five guys watching us now will give anything to be here where I am now"

She looked around incredulously!

" ... five ... !?!"

She knew security was stepped up, but the idea of being watched by so many pairs of eyes ... was disconcerting .. though she knew it should be reassuring...

"And I don't care what anybody else say, you are a beautiful young lady and don't you forget that"

She wasn't sure what he meant by that, but the complement was clear. It seemed bizarre to have someone reassuring her about her looks when in truth many of those she socialised with thought her vain or at best a perfectionist when it came to looks.

"And like I had stated, work along as perfectly as you are doing now and your social life might just pick up again"

She laughed.

"At this rate, I'll die an old maid!"

She joked with him, but in truth it had been way too long since she'd had a boyfriend and actually even before her enforced exile, she hadn't really found it easy to find anyone she really had an interest in aside from casual dates.

A thought suddenly occured to her.

"Are you married Benjamin? Girlfriend...?"

Back