pretty planes

I saw one once. It actually looks like someone took two P-51s and welded the wings together. Never did figure out which canopy the pilot sat under.

Most of them were built as nightfighters, with the pilot in one and the radar operator in the other.

The Germans did something similar with the Me-109, as well as the He-111 bomber, though that was only used to tow the enormous Me-321 Gigant cargo/troop carrying glider.

supermarine_spitfire_aircraft_flight_m89739.jpg

Seafire.

Looks more like a Mustang.

It's a Spitfire in Invisible Pink. Check your history!
yes dad :rolleyes:

i was pretty sure it was the spitfire, only i get mixed up sometimes with the names. i knew it was the one with the shape i like better. :D *twirls hair*

The Spitfire, of course.
It might not be the nicest pink but it was painted thus by design and it worked perfectly.

supermarine_spitfire_aircraft_flight_1366x768_89739.jpg

Seafire.

There is nothing out there that compares to the sound of the Rolls Royce Merlin and Griffon engines, even the Mustang with the Packard built version doesn't sound the same.
I was fortunate enough a few years ago to witness a recreation of a "big wing" formation at a Duxford airshow, 20+ Spitfires and Hurricanes in the air at once, a truly glorious sight and sound.
yeah yeah - it might have worked perfectly, but i still don't like its colour :p

when you say a few years ago, about how many are you talking? i don't know how many years i'm going back, but it was sunny and the sky seemed full of planes of all sizes as they flew overhead - oldies... and the sound! nothing like it!

Most of them were built as nightfighters, with the pilot in one and the radar operator in the other.

The Germans did something similar with the Me-109, as well as the He-111 bomber, though that was only used to tow the enormous Me-321 Gigant cargo/troop carrying glider.

I remember that. Zilliwig or something they called it.

Link? Cause I can't seem to google pics of it. Was it ever in production?

Why would anyone do that to a Spitfire?

Can't place the flag either.

As camouflage, its a photo recon variant and it was discovered that such a colour helped to hide the aircraft at its operating altitude especially around dawn and dusk.
They also used a similarly pale blue for the same effect.

The flag on the Spit? Its one of the variants of the RAF tail flash.

As camouflage, its a photo recon variant and it was discovered that such a colour helped to hide the aircraft at its operating altitude especially around dawn and dusk.
They also used a similarly pale blue for the same effect.

The flag on the Spit? Its one of the variants of the RAF tail flash.

Looks like a poorly copied version of the french flag.

:D

n141r_1.JPG

If you wanna go fishing with friends, the Super Widgeon is the only way to go!

Looks more like a Mustang.

That'll be the bubble top, most Seafire FR XVII's had them like that.

I remember that. Zilliwig or something they called it.

Link? Cause I can't seem to google pics of it. Was it ever in production?

The Zwilling, as far as I know only one was built and never flown due to being damaged in a bombing raid.

Looks like a poorly copied version of the french flag.

:D

Oh thats harsh. :mad:

They started out with equal width stripes of each colour, then progressed to narrow the white band before dispensing with it altogether leaving just the blue & red.

P 47 Thunderbolt

For sheer brute power and the ability to absorb damage and bring its pilot home, nothing beat the Jug.
36717.jpg

The B-26 Marauder, built by Martin Aircraft Co, was known as the Widow Maker, because of its fussiness on take off and landing, especially landing. It required a landing speed of 150 kts, fast for the day, and if a nugget would freak out and chop the throttle too soon, the Marauder would stall, and auger in, ruining the pilot's day. Still, it was a very effective bomber for the USAAF.
B_26.jpg

I find its huge maw to be fugly.

I like my planes to be steamlined in the nose.

I guess you wouldn't like these , either.

Same engine in all four.

Attachments

• F4U-4_folding_wings.jpg
    F4U-4_folding_wings.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 25
  • F6F-5.jpg
    F6F-5.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 27
Back