Posting First Article Here is Exhilarating

Not sure if this is proper etiquette, I did read the forum rules before posting. I'm sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong place. I'm still learning all the rules here.

Just wanted to drop in and say I've been reading stories posted on this site for years, and I finally had the courage to just submit some of my own writing. I just submitted my first story this week about a guy who gets some help from a friend on a long carpool to work. I don't know why, but just submitting something I wrote and seeing it published here felt new and exciting and a little bit dirty (the good kind) all at that same time.

I had an English professor who would say "When you don't know what to write about, write about not knowing what to write about." It's the only writing advice I was ever given that works 100% of the time. I love writing, always have - and I particularly like writing stream of consciousness style. I get the words out there with no styling or format, and then go back and edit for style, grammar, tone, and polish the characters, etc.

It was really exciting to see it get published here and I'm looking forward to getting feedback and comments from the great authors whom I've been reading and have respected for years now.

Anyways, thanks for publishing my story. I'm already at work on the next one and will submit soon!

You picked the right place. Welcome and congratulations on the first story. It IS exciting.
Here's a tip: add a link to your submission page to the signature for your forum posts. That way everybody can see the story you are referring to easily.

If you want feedback specifically, open a new thread over in the Feedback Forum, ask people to comment either generally or zoom in on something in particular, that will help you learn as a writer.

You won't necessarily get a massive response, but it will be focused on your story. Quite a few AH denizens pop over to that forum from time to time, so you'll be amongst friendly faces (most of the time, anyway).

If you want feedback specifically, open a new thread over in the Feedback Forum, ask people to comment either generally or zoom in on something in particular, that will help you learn as a writer.

You won't necessarily get a massive response, but it will be focused on your story. Quite a few AH denizens pop over to that forum from time to time, so you'll be amongst friendly faces (most of the time, anyway).
Appreciate the suggestion. I'll duck in there.

Not sure if this is proper etiquette, I did read the forum rules before posting. I'm sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong place. I'm still learning all the rules here.

Just wanted to drop in and say I've been reading stories posted on this site for years, and I finally had the courage to just submit some of my own writing. I just submitted my first story this week about a guy who gets some help from a friend on a long carpool to work. I don't know why, but just submitting something I wrote and seeing it published here felt new and exciting and a little bit dirty (the good kind) all at that same time.

I had an English professor who would say "When you don't know what to write about, write about not knowing what to write about." It's the only writing advice I was ever given that works 100% of the time. I love writing, always have - and I particularly like writing stream of consciousness style. I get the words out there with no styling or format, and then go back and edit for style, grammar, tone, and polish the characters, etc.

It was really exciting to see it get published here and I'm looking forward to getting feedback and comments from the great authors whom I've been reading and have respected for years now.

Anyways, thanks for publishing my story. I'm already at work on the next one and will submit soon!
I love when first time authors drop posts like this. As has been said, it’s always exciting! This website has so many talented authors, but always needs more. The very best success to you!

Last edited:

A late congrats from me as well. I remember what that felt like too. Still fun to hit submit and wait to see your story published.

I particularly like writing stream of consciousness style. I get the words out there with no styling or format, and then go back and edit for style, grammar, tone, and polish the characters, etc.
I do the same thing, and I wouldn't do it any other way. You and I will probably spend more time editing than writing because much of our writing is done on the second, third, and fourth go round. I've found the Read Aloud option on MS Word 365 to be really helpful

I know how you feel about being excited to hit that submit button, I published my first stories in 2006 then RL hit. I woke up 1500 miles and two years later then published some more, then RL hit with a sledge hammer. I recovered in 2022 with an extra 1700 miles under my belt and put 33 stories up and each time I hit submit I felt that rush of excitement. I hope it never goes away.

Back