Photography 101

When it comes to taking photos, on a regular old 35mm film camera, I'm actually pretty good. But, with digital, if it's not on automatic, I can't do shit. Nothing turns out that way I like.

When it comes to taking photos, on a regular old 35mm film camera, I'm actually pretty good. But, with digital, if it's not on automatic, I can't do shit. Nothing turns out that way I like.

Hmm. Why do you think that is? There should be nothing different between the film and digital cameras except for the method of capturing light.

Well, I take that back. Modern digital cameras have diverged from the film standard of ASA ratings. Even though they all use the new (-ish) ISO "standard," they frequently make up their own levels of sensitivity for a given ISO number. A Canon camera set to ISO 100 may be more or less sensitive to light than a Sony set to the same ISO by 1 full stop or more (depending on the source of this info).

Even so, using an ISO setting equivalent to the old film ASA should result in an image that is roughly the same as a film exposure value. As long as your shutter speed and aperture are the same, you should see similar results.

Last edited:
Back