On the subject of making a good story description for your works

I'm always reminded of this fantastic back-cover teaser from Bored of the Rings, the Harvard Lampoon parody of Lord of the Rings:

“Do you like what you doth see . . . ?” said the voluptuous elf-maiden as she provocatively parted the folds of her robe to reveal the rounded, shadowy glories within. Frito’s throat was dry, though his head reeled with desire and ale. She slipped off the flimsy garment and strode toward the fascinated boggie unashamed of her nakedness. She ran a perfect hand along his hairy toes, and he helplessly watched them curl with the fierce insistent wanting of her. “Let me make thee more comfortable,” she whispered hoarsely, fiddling with the clasps of his jerkin, loosening his sword belt with a laugh. “Touch me, oh touch me,” she crooned. Frito’s hand, as though of its own will, reached out and traced the delicate swelling of her elf-breast, while the other slowly crept around her tiny, flawless waist, crushing her to his barrel chest. “Toes, I love hairy toes,” she moaned, forcing him down on the silvered carpet. Her tiny, pink toes caressed the luxuriant fur of his instep while Frito’s nose sought out the warmth of her precious elf-navel. “But I’m so small and hairy, and . . . and you’re so beautiful,” Frito whimpered, slipping clumsily out of his crossed garters. The elf-maiden said nothing, but only sighed deep in her throat and held him more firmly to her faunlike body. “There is one thing you must do for me first,” she whispered into one tufted ear. “Anything,” sobbed Frito, growing frantic with his need. “Anything!” She closed her eyes and then opened them to the ceiling. “The Ring,” she said. “I must have your Ring.” Frito’s whole body tensed. “Oh no,” he cried, “not that! Anything but . . . that.” “I must have it,” she said both tenderly and fiercely. “I must have the Ring!” Frito’s eyes blurred with tears and confusion. “I can’t,” he said. “I mustn’t!” But he knew resolve was no longer strong in him. Slowly, the elf-maiden’s hand inched toward the chain in his vest pocket, closer and closer it came to the Ring Frito had guarded so faithfully . .”

The funny thing about this passage is it didn't even occur in the story. But it gets the point across. You can't go wrong with pedal-to-the-metal titillation.
Elf-breasts... and hairy toes!? I'm getting that book.

Ooo, new story idea. Lord of the Cock Ring. "One ring to fuck them all."

Elf-breasts... and hairy toes!? I'm getting that book.

Ooo, new story idea. Lord of the Cock Ring. "One ring to fuck them all."
Just be forewarned that the book itself is not sexy at all. The teaser passage is a fake; that's the whole point of it. It's a parody of similar teasers for popular books. I think it's less of a thing now, but in the 70s it was very common to try to sell popular books with sexy teasers.

Just be forewarned that the book itself is not sexy at all. The teaser passage is a fake; that's the whole point of it. It's a parody of similar teasers for popular books. I think it's less of a thing now, but in the 70s it was very common to try to sell popular books with sexy teasers.
Oh... so, no hairy-toe-loving elves diddling hobbit rings? That's kind of disappointing.

Oh... so, no hairy-toe-loving elves diddling hobbit rings? That's kind of disappointing.
Sorry, no.

But there's always fan fiction. I wrote a story about Frodo and Sam getting it on with a female Elf warrior in One Night In Mordor.

Sorry, no.

But there's always fan fiction. I wrote a story about Frodo and Sam getting it on with a female Elf warrior in One Night In Mordor.
Ohh... okay, I gotcha. Maybe I'll check that story out. Meanwhile I'm going to add to story idea folder.

Brodo Baggem finds a ring of great power... But the dark lady Whoreron and the wicked sorceress Hoeruma'am tirelessly seek the ring of power... and his cock.

Took your guys' advice. Tried to make a simple description of the chapter, then titillate the fuck out of it: "Thicc dark elf princess must fend off horny suiters..." or "Can a sexy princess keep her horny suiters at bay?"

Maan, I really feel like they should double the description limit. 120 would be perfect.

It's tough for me too.

When I have an idea for a story, I always start by writing the synopsis. There will be several changes to the original synopsis as the story unfolds and I decide on the particular story and character elements, but by the time I am done, the synopsis is also complete.

The synopsis then assists me with putting together the briefest story description that fits the tale. It is also a requirement for any query letters that I might send out.

Again, bear in mind that I write longer stories and novels so if I stand any hope of getting an agent or publisher to consider the work, the effort of a synopsis has to be there. Stories written exclusively for Lit and other online sites don't have the same requirement, but it's an exercise that I have a habit of doing regardless.

Here are some good tips for writing a synopsis
Screenshot 2023-04-23 at 07-15-48 How To Write A One-Page Synopsis.png

It's tough for me too.

When I have an idea for a story, I always start by writing the synopsis. There will be several changes to the original synopsis as the story unfolds and I decide on the particular story and character elements, but by the time I am done, the synopsis is also complete.

The synopsis then assists me with putting together the briefest story description that fits the tale. It is also a requirement for any query letters that I might send out.

Again, bear in mind that I write longer stories and novels so if I stand any hope of getting an agent or publisher to consider the work, the effort of a synopsis has to be there. Stories written exclusively for Lit and other online sites don't have the same requirement, but it's an exercise that I have a habit of doing regardless.

Here are some good tips for writing a synopsis
View attachment 2228172
Yooo, thanks, bro. I never knew there was something like that for writing a synopsis. I suck at writing a synopsis, so I'm saving that.

I think the most effective "tag" on a story is the author's name, and especially so if that author writes in only a couple genre. That's what the "followers" statistics are all about. For new authors, the title and short description are important, but I would wager most of the popular authors on Lit could use just a couple words for a title and maybe half the allowable characters for the description. Readers who like a particular author's work will read about anything that author publishes.

For new writers, the title and description are important, and treating them both as a description works pretty well. Both should be a "hook", meaning they have enough information to tempt a reader. I like titles that either give the reader a piece of the plot or a glimpse into the setting. I also struggle with titles and descriptions, but just look for what might cause a potential reader to ask, "I wonder what this is about?" Along with the category, both can "hook" a reader, and if that reader likes the story, might result in the reader becoming a follower.

Hahaha - now see, this story description would make me say "WTF?" and want to read the story just to see what it was about.

"Thicc dark elf princess must fend off horny suiters..."

Took your guys' advice. Tried to make a simple description of the chapter, then titillate the fuck out of it: "Thicc dark elf princess must fend off horny suiters..." or "Can a sexy princess keep her horny suiters at bay?"

Maan, I really feel like they should double the description limit. 120 would be perfect.
This is GREAT! It gives details of the protagonist of the story, her predicament and the merest hint of what kind of sexual shenanigans are in store.

Bravo! Let us all know how it goes.

I think the most effective "tag" on a story is the author's name, and especially so if that author writes in only a couple genre. That's what the "followers" statistics are all about. For new authors, the title and short description are important, but I would wager most of the popular authors on Lit could use just a couple words for a title and maybe half the allowable characters for the description. Readers who like a particular author's work will read about anything that author publishes.

For new writers, the title and description are important, and treating them both as a description works pretty well. Both should be a "hook", meaning they have enough information to tempt a reader. I like titles that either give the reader a piece of the plot or a glimpse into the setting. I also struggle with titles and descriptions, but just look for what might cause a potential reader to ask, "I wonder what this is about?" Along with the category, both can "hook" a reader, and if that reader likes the story, might result in the reader becoming a follower.
Yeah, I don't have many stories yet(only 1 chapter of an unrelated fantasy series that I should really also continue), but that'll soon change since I have a lot on queue that are almost ready. A lot of my stories will be on the sci-fi and fantasy section for sure. My approach to description for all my stories henceforth shall hit the max dial on gratuitous titillation.
Hahaha - now see, this story description would make me say "WTF?" and want to read the story just to see what it was about.

"Thicc dark elf princess must fend off horny suiters..."
Then I'mma do that one :D

This is GREAT! It gives details of the protagonist of the story, her predicament and the merest hint of what kind of sexual shenanigans are in store.

Bravo! Let us all know how it goes.
Thank you! Thank you! *bows graciously* I will!

I might try to send it for publishing tomorrow. I was thinking at first to wait a few days to see if I could finally get a reply in the editors forum thread I made for the first four chapters of this story, but it's been 2 full weeks, 348 views, but not one reply. :|

I just wanna say thanks to everyone here. You guys were all a big help. Really, I appreciate it. Now I just have to play the waiting game.

Now, I have another question for you fine folks which I'll get to in a second. So, I've gotten around to publishing the first part of the story in question(still waiting on approval). Now, instead of publishing the entire thing I've written(47k), I've decided to publish in parts. The first part(or episode) to be published is chapters 1 and 2 of the story. I did this because chapter 1 is too short, just over 500 words while chapter 2 is about 5.7k. I probably could have brought that number up, but I decided to leave it as is instead of just adding filler writing.

Now all of the future "chapters" are definitely well over the minimum 750-word limit each but I'm considering if it would be a good idea to follow that formula of using two chapters from the written story together as one episode at a time (They are separated in format and labeled with the names of each chapter where they start). The story generally alternates between the two protagonists per chapter. Is that a good idea, or would you stick to one chapter and let each part alternate between the two characters if you were in my shoes? Thoughts?

Last edited:
I just wanna say thanks to everyone here. You guys were all a big help. Really, I appreciate it. Now I just have to play the waiting game.

Now, I have another question for you fine folks which I'll get to in a second. So, I've gotten around to publishing the first part of the story in question(still waiting on approval). Now, instead of publishing the entire thing I've written(47k), I've decided to publish in parts. The first part(or episode) to be published is chapters 1 and 2 of the story. I did this because chapter 1 is too short, just over 500 words while chapter 2 is about 5.7k. I probably could have brought that number up, but I decided to leave it as is instead of just adding filler writing.

Now all of the future "chapters" are definitely well over the minimum 750-word limit each but I'm considering if it would be a good idea to follow that formula of using two chapters from the written story together as one episode at a time (They are separated in format and labeled with the names of each chapter where they start). The story generally alternates between the two protagonists per chapter. Is that a good idea, or would you stick to one chapter and let each part alternate between the two characters if you were in my shoes? Thoughts?
My first thought is your proposed "chapters" are too short, even bundled.

Whenever this comes up (which is often), there's a broad consensus that the sweet spot for chapters is around three Lit pages, or around 10k words. Your proposed 5k7 chapter is a page and a half.

If I was going to publish a 47k story I'd either do it as a single submission, or maybe five or six chapters, to extend the initial exposure for two or three weeks (assuming a couple of days gap between chapters.

I'm considering if it would be a good idea to follow that formula of using two chapters from the written story together as one episode at a time (They are separated in format and labeled with the names of each chapter where they start). The story generally alternates between the two protagonists per chapter. Is that a good idea,
I've done it that way and it's worked out fine.

My first thought is your proposed "chapters" are too short, even bundled.

Whenever this comes up (which is often), there's a broad consensus that the sweet spot for chapters is around three Lit pages, or around 10k words. Your proposed 5k7 chapter is a page and a half.

If I was going to publish a 47k story I'd either do it as a single submission, or maybe five or six chapters, to extend the initial exposure for two or three weeks (assuming a couple of days gap between chapters.
Hmm.... only a page and a half... that's less pages than I thought. Damn. :|

47k and running, it's not complete. The female main's part of the story has been written up to a point where I have a potential "finish" for a "book 1" of her side, though I'm still considering completely rewriting one or two of the later ones. And I'm writing the male main's part to catch up atm.

I was originally going to submit 4 chapters at a time, like part 1 or episode one of the story would contain 4 "chapters" per published part. Something like that. But it was just coming up with a story description to summarize all four parts in 60 characters was a headache. There's a lot going on in each chapter, different stuff and events. Maybe I could just go the fun route and just put in the most erotic, titillating part of each whole episode instead of trying to describe 4 chapters in 60 characters, per the advice everyone here gave, lol. I could post 6 chapters at once... I do have those chapters mostly polished up enough to be ready to post.

I've done it that way and it's worked out fine.
Oh, okay. So maybe I might not pull part 1 of the story out of "pending." Now I just have to consider whether I'll make the next parts, four chapters at a time.

Most of my contributions are between 20k and 35k words. I think of 15k as something of a "floor" for normal stories. I very seldom produce anything I'm happy with in fewer than 10k words.

So your first two chapters, at just about 6k words, are not even nudging at being "too long."

I'd say posting 12-15k words at a time would be a useful rule of thumb, provided there are natural stopping points around those areas.

When I got to that crossroads with my very first story, I thought, why zig when I can zag?

And it seemed to work.

So, you'll never see a complete sentence in my descriptions, and because of that, it made the process fun. I even giggle when I write them and enjoy that part of the publishing process.

CL

Most of my contributions are between 20k and 35k words. I think of 15k as something of a "floor" for normal stories. I very seldom produce anything I'm happy with in fewer than 10k words.

So your first two chapters, at just about 6k words, are not even nudging at being "too long."

I'd say posting 12-15k words at a time would be a useful rule of thumb, provided there are natural stopping points around those areas.
So, then I'll do 4 chapters at a time for the next parts.
It's already a bondage story.

Well, when you put it that way...
When I got to that crossroads with my very first story, I thought, why zig when I can zag?

And it seemed to work.

So, you'll never see a complete sentence in my descriptions, and because of that, it made the process fun. I even giggle when I write them and enjoy that part of the publishing process.

CL
Yeah, that's what I'm gonna do for all future episodes of the story in question. Just take one part, the most erotic part of one scene, make it as dirty sounding as possible. Or I'll just do one word sentences describing the overall setting and one or two of the major things that happen.

Back