Name a Litster that you miss

The people I miss left ten or more years ago. Can't even remember most of their user names, but I remember their real names. It was a different world back then :(
Hey Lo! Off and on I see posts about the "old" LIT and how it is very different. I was wondering if you might share your memories of what was different, better, worse.

Hey Lo! Off and on I see posts about the "old" LIT and how it is very different. I was wondering if you might share your memories of what was different, better, worse.

LOL, for starters, phones didn't have web access. People used computers, so they sat down and dedicated time to their online activities. It was easy to know when your friends would be on, because they were creatures of habit.

People said hello, and they said goodbye, they didn't just vanish in the middle of a conversation. (well not too often:)) Cell phones have made it easy to come and go, but I think it's killed the community feel of the place. (Just my opinion, don't get your panties in a twist)

Daytime was mostly dead, and then even hit and the place came to life. It was mostly writers back then, and we talked to fans and other writers.

The population here has grown to numbers I don't think anyone imagined. Now its like the story side is forgotten, lol.

LOL, for starters, phones didn't have web access. People used computers, so they sat down and dedicated time to their online activities. It was easy to know when your friends would be on, because they were creatures of habit.

People said hello, and they said goodbye, they didn't just vanish in the middle of a conversation. (well not too often:)) Cell phones have made it easy to come and go, but I think it's killed the community feel of the place. (Just my opinion, don't get your panties in a twist)

Daytime was mostly dead, and then even hit and the place came to life. It was mostly writers back then, and we talked to fans and other writers.

The population here has grown to numbers I don't think anyone imagined. Now its like the story side is forgotten, lol.

Do you think maybe the 'covert' population is a bigger proportion now, facilitated by the cell phone thing you mentioned? Not judging, just wondering if that's a factor somehow?

Do you think maybe the 'covert' population is a bigger proportion now, facilitated by the cell phone thing you mentioned? Not judging, just wondering if that's a factor somehow?

Sorry, not sure what you mean by "covert" Numi.

People who are here secretly, without their SO being aware.

Oh, I think we've always had those. I think 15 years ago Lit was a place where people explored themselves, and found others that felt the same way. I think it still happens, but now you have a million snakes thrown in the mix.

Now anyone with 30 bucks can be here, and that definitely changes things. It used to be a computer crowd, which was just different. I can really say why, but it was.

Oh, I think we've always had those. I think 15 years ago Lit was a place where people explored themselves, and found others that felt the same way. I think it still happens, but now you have a million snakes thrown in the mix.

Now anyone with 30 bucks can be here, and that definitely changes things. It used to be a computer crowd, which was just different. I can really say why, but it was.

So, it was more ... nerdy? :D You're right, though, computer use, and by extension 'internet' by phone use has changed enormously in fifteen years.

Here's a question: if you could change it back, right now this minute, would you? Including taking everyone's phones away.

So, it was more ... nerdy? :D You're right, though, computer use, and by extension 'internet' by phone use has changed enormously in fifteen years.

Here's a question: if you could change it back, right now this minute, would you? Including taking everyone's phones away.

Yeah, I guess it was more nerdy, although I was never a nerd. I was a computer expert, just because I saw it as another thing I could hotrod in the winter months.

As far as taking it back to those days? I think I'd like to see a change in the way cell phones are used.

I asked my future daughter in law what she thought of a TV show we watched as a group. She said "eh, it was okay." Of course for half the show she was texting on her phone, and catching up on "Ifunny", and that sums up what I think of the cell phone :)

Yeah, I guess it was more nerdy, although I was never a nerd. I was a computer expert, just because I saw it as another thing I could hotrod in the winter months.

As far as taking it back to those days? I think I'd like to see a change in the way cell phones are used.

I asked my future daughter in law what she thought of a TV show we watched as a group. She said "eh, it was okay." Of course for half the show she was texting on her phone, and catching up on "Ifunny", and that sums up what I think of the cell phone :)

A lot of younger folks do that, don't they? And constantly text other people whilst talking to physically present people, which I hate. I'm a big fan of the 'no phones at the dinner table/social gathering' rule :rolleyes: I think it's just normal for them, though, I don't think they find it rude when they do it to each other.

I'm such an old fogey!

A lot of younger folks do that, don't they? And constantly text other people whilst talking to physically present people, which I hate. I'm a big fan of the 'no phones at the dinner table/social gathering' rule :rolleyes: I think it's just normal for them, though, I don't think they find it rude when they do it to each other.

I'm such an old fogey!

I know, I get asked how many "Apps" I have installed. "Uh, Pandora, and that's it," lol.

Cell phones have made it easy to come and go, but I think it's killed the community feel of the place. (Just my opinion, don't get your panties in a twist)

Interesting premise . . . I'm going to ponder this. It makes quite a bit sense.

I probably should have elaborated on that.

I think people being able to forget they were talking to you, due to legitimate reasons has hurt the community. People never forgot their PCs were on and lit was on the screen :)

Taking lowphat's comment one step further the cell phones are actually smart phones and in many cases are more capable then the desk top computers of Lit's earlier days. We generally don't consider smart phones to be the compact tablet computers that they actually are because of their text and voice capabilities.

So now you have a much more mobile group of viewers/participants who are probably multi-tasking while they're on lit. Instead of giving the people they're talking with on the threads or in PM's all of their attention Lister's are often distracted or interrupted by other sources. So low makes a great deal of sense in his comment.

Thanks for sharing Lo. I remember back 10+ years when you had to use dial up modems to reach the internet. Back then I started posting on the newsgroups...mostly alt. something...lol Then I went to AOL and entered the world of chatrooms for the first time. Back then, you are right all your friends showed up at the same times on the same days and there was a lot of fun and conversation. I remember you could open a private chat room and just chat...or yes..have cybersex or whatever else. And it did seem like a very strong community. Although I also remember the damn modem would cut out at the worst time and you would get dropped...LOL.

It sounds like LIT was originally created for writers. Was it strictly for writers of Erotica or any type of writing?

I'm such an old fogey!
I am an older fogey then...LOL. My grown kids text all the time. They started texting me and it would be a conversation until someone just stopped texting...I felt it enough of an intrusion when I first had to start carrying a cell phone. and back then you carried it around in a big bag...LOL

I probably should have elaborated on that.

I think people being able to forget they were talking to you, due to legitimate reasons has hurt the community. People never forgot their PCs were on and lit was on the screen :)
I agree with you on that

This came up on gb recently too ( cell phone use). I think it's rude to take calls with other people generally HOwever, I do not live with my husband ( or other partner) and my husband can often be out of the country. In different time zone etc. For various reasons he is wise to ask me to keep my phone with me at all times accept when I have to turn it off. Now I have learnt to use call blocking v I will block calls apart from partners and who ever is at my house 'babysitting' animals so I can take home calls in emergencies and partner calls to say I'm ok and in case it's the only time we get to speak for a couple of days.

Rude, yeah. But also pretty rude to stop me speaking to loved ones if opportunity is small.

( I also welcome people to turn I. My driveway, I don't get the point of no turning signs, of course I would let someone turn if they need to! )

There is also a cultural element here.....not all countries and there inhabitants see phone use in the same way, though I think one should conform to the people you are with.
I have to carry a cell phone for work and for family contact, however, there is a little button on the side of the phone I push when I do not recognize a number or am busy with someone present. Magically, the caller just disappears :D

Taking lowphat's comment one step further the cell phones are actually smart phones and in many cases are more capable then the desk top computers of Lit's earlier days. We generally don't consider smart phones to be the compact tablet computers that they actually are because of their text and voice capabilities.

So now you have a much more mobile group of viewers/participants who are probably multi-tasking while they're on lit. Instead of giving the people they're talking with on the threads or in PM's all of their attention Lister's are often distracted or interrupted by other sources. So low makes a great deal of sense in his comment.
so true. Me I still do LIT only from my desktop...Old School

It sounds like LIT was originally created for writers. Was it strictly for writers of Erotica or any type of writing?

Yes, for the most part it was writers, but the forum changed very fast. It promoted more people reading, so it was logical to bring more users in.

Back