Movies!

Sounds interesting!

:rose:

Not a movie but a TV show.

Australian Please Like Me has been the funniest and also most awkward thing I've watched in a long time. I've watched both seasons, and the second is even more hilarious than the first one.

It's about a group of friends in their 20s. The main character, Josh, is completely annoying and self absorbed, but frank and funny. The humor is dark and sarcastic, cringe-worthy at times, but it also deals with more serious things like mental health.

True.

I just hate to see people lie and be mean to themselves and/or others. Made me feel like I needed a shower.

People who think they are so much smarter than everyone else and deserve X really piss me off. Those who love to test, judge and sentence one are some of the most irritating. I can totally see my mother trying to pull off something like that just for the damn drama.

I can't help but think this has found it's perfect audience in this "look at me, see how special I am" generation. I just hope it doesn't give too many people ideas.

Didn't see the movie yet. But the book had clever writing and interesting plot twists.

Last edited:
True.

I just hate to see people lie and be mean to themselves and/or others. Made me feel like I needed a shower.

People who think they are so much smarter than everyone else and deserve X really piss me off. Those who love to test, judge and sentence one are some of the most irritating. I can totally see my mother trying to pull off something like that just for the damn drama.

I can't help but think this has found it's perfect audience in this "look at me, see how special I am" generation. I just hope it doesn't give too many people ideas.

(Spoiler Alert for Gone Girl Book)

I don't think reading "Gone Girl" will influence anyone to commit an outrageous act. The main character, Amy, has Antisocial Personality Disorder which is a rare brain abnormality.

I seem to know too many people who appear to have something similar.

(Spoiler Alert for Gone Girl Book)

I don't think reading "Gone Girl" will influence anyone to commit an outrageous act. The main character, Amy, has Antisocial Personality Disorder which is a rare brain abnormality.

Terry Pratchett's Going Postal was somewhat fun. I've never enjoyed Pratchett's writing so I was pleasantly surprised by the TV movie.

The One I Love was really good. IMDb lists it under comedy, drama, romance, but it has a very major, warpy sci fi element to it as well. It's definitely not a movie for you if you're looking for a simple romantic comedy with some drama elements to it.

It's about an unhappy couple that goes for a weekend away in a fancy villa at the suggestion of their councelor. When they arrive, they find very different sides, personalities even, of each other in the guesthouse of the villa.

I liked it a lot!

Sounds good. I'd love to see that.

The One I Love was really good. IMDb lists it under comedy, drama, romance, but it has a very major, warpy sci fi element to it as well. It's definitely not a movie for you if you're looking for a simple romantic comedy with some drama elements to it.

It's about an unhappy couple that goes for a weekend away in a fancy villa at the suggestion of their councelor. When they arrive, they find very different sides, personalities even, of each other in the guesthouse of the villa.

I liked it a lot!

4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days is an amazing Romanian movie directed by Cristian Mungiu. I saw it first when it was released back in 2007, but I had completely forgotten how amazingly good it is until I rewatched it with a friend yesterday.

It's about two students in Bucharest 1987, one of them pregnant. During that time abortion was still banned and getting contraception made almost impossible, so a lot of unwanted pregnancies happened and many of them lead to illegal abortions. This is a story about that and about friendship between two very different girls.

The acting is incredible and there are lots of beautiful long takes. The camera follows the girl who is not pregnant, which I think is also interesting.

It's grim, definitely not a feelgood movie, but not too heavy. (As in, it doesn't leave me sobbing in a puddle of tears, YMMV) Very realistic, though.

Last edited:
Lucy.

The premise was interesting, but I didn't really like the movie. Too much action and silliness, not enough scifi and exploring what 100% brain capacity could really mean to the individual and to the mankind.

Love the Walking Dead, I'm two episodes behind though.

Vampire Diaries, I've missed all this season, gong to have to HULU it.

Grimm. Also behind this season, have all but the first episode on DVR.

Also love Face Off (missed last season).

And Have a whole season of Supernatural to catch up on.

Glad you enjoyed it. Does not sound like my kind of movie.

4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days is an amazing Romanian movie directed by Cristian Mungiu. I saw it first when it was released back in 2007, but I had completely forgotten how amazingly good it is until I rewatched it with a friend yesterday.

It's about two students in Bucharest 1987, one of them pregnant. During that time abortion was still banned and getting contraception made almost impossible, so a lot of unwanted pregnancies happened and many of them lead to illegal abortions. This is a story about that and about friendship between two very different girls.

The acting is incredible and there are lots of beautiful long takes. The camera follows the girl who is not pregnant, which I think is also interesting.

It's grim, definitely not a feelgood movie, but not too heavy. (As in, it doesn't leave me sobbing in a puddle of tears, YMMV) Very realistic, though.

I thought that might be the case when I saw the trailer.

Lucy.

The premise was interesting, but I didn't really like the movie. Too much action and silliness, not enough scifi and exploring what 100% brain capacity could really mean to the individual and to the mankind.

I like The Walking Dead and Grimm as well. I'm currently behind on Grimm.

Love the Walking Dead, I'm two episodes behind though.

Vampire Diaries, I've missed all this season, gong to have to HULU it.

Grimm. Also behind this season, have all but the first episode on DVR.

Also love Face Off (missed last season).

And Have a whole season of Supernatural to catch up on.

Mockingjay part 1 was pretty good. I nearly went to sleep in the dark "action" parts.

It's been a long time since I read this book. I think most of it was made up and not from the book. The story was remarkably good though.

The most important character is the ultimate survivor Buttercup IMO. :cattail:

Last edited:
True.

Yep. I don't understand it either. My generation has a lot of good things but a lot of boring things so I look back. No drive. No ambition. The Y should be WHY?

Growing up in the reality TV world when everyone thinks they want to be famous and rich somehow without working for it must be tough.

If they actually get famous they find out it's not fun most of the time.

Yep. I don't understand it either. My generation has a lot of good things but a lot of boring things so I look back. No drive. No ambition. The Y should be WHY?

The Great Beauty was one of the most visually stunning movies I've seen this year. Interesting and beautiful. I liked the story too. It's about a journalist in his 60s who's struggling with his age, death, change and life's unexpectedness.

Predestination was a pretty cool movie about time travel, paradoxes, choices and responsibility. An agent travels through time to catch a bomber that escapes him over and over again. The basic story line sounds very banal, but it was interesting. It certainly didn't have tons of action scenes, but was a rather calm film that focused on storytelling. It was so much better than I expected!

I like time travel when it's done well which is all too rare. Beauty could be interesting too.

The Great Beauty was one of the most visually stunning movies I've seen this year. Interesting and beautiful. I liked the story too. It's about a journalist in his 60s who's struggling with his age, death, change and life's unexpectedness.

Predestination was a pretty cool movie about time travel, paradoxes, choices and responsibility. An agent travels through time to catch a bomber that escapes him over and over again. The basic story line sounds very banal, but it was interesting. It certainly didn't have tons of action scenes, but was a rather calm film that focused on storytelling. It was so much better than I expected!

The Hundred Foot Journey was a wonderful film, just as I thought it might be. That is so rare. I now am interested in reading the book.

Watched Gremlins with my girl last night. It was her first time. Good dated, fun!

The Fault in Their Stars was a decent book to movie adaptation but of course I like the book better.

I recently watched a 4-part documentary The Real History of Science Fiction. It gives a pretty thorough look into the most famous SF movies and TV series through four different themes: space, aliens, robots and time. I really enjoyed watching the mini series and it made me appreciate SF that much more. There are some writers (at least Neil Gaiman and Ursula LeGuin come to mind) talking about science fiction, too, so it's not 100% about TV and movies, although it is a history of audiovisual SF.

I know a lot of people here like science fiction, so I thought maybe someone might enjoy watching this documentary, as well.

Ooh! Sounds interesting! Thanks!

I recently watched a 4-part documentary The Real History of Science Fiction. It gives a pretty thorough look into the most famous SF movies and TV series through four different themes: space, aliens, robots and time. I really enjoyed watching the mini series and it made me appreciate SF that much more. There are some writers (at least Neil Gaiman and Ursula LeGuin come to mind) talking about science fiction, too, so it's not 100% about TV and movies, although it is a history of audiovisual SF.

I know a lot of people here like science fiction, so I thought maybe someone might enjoy watching this documentary, as well.

The Little Death is a movie about relationships and sexuality, fetishes. It's a comedy, but also deals with some real issues, like how far is it ok to go to have your sexual needs met.

I'm not sure I liked the movie. Sure, it's nice that fetishes are depicted and taboos broken (foot fetish, masochism, dacryphilia, somnophilia), but I don't know... Some of the characters were so consumed by their fetishes that it left me wondering if movies like this only feed into the misconseptions about fetishism. That was clearly not the intention of the movie, but parts of it left me feeling a little uncomfortable. That is not to say that there aren't people in the real world that are completely consumed by their fetishes. Maybe the movie just goes to show that sad people and sad relationships are sad, fetishes or not?

Other questions the movie answers to:
- How does a deaf guy have phone sex?
- Is it possible to fulfill a rape fantasy?
- When is giving your neighbors gollywog cookies a good strategy and why?

The Little Death is a movie about relationships and sexuality, fetishes. It's a comedy, but also deals with some real issues, like how far is it ok to go to have your sexual needs met.

I'm not sure I liked the movie. Sure, it's nice that fetishes are depicted and taboos broken (foot fetish, masochism, dacryphilia, somnophilia), but I don't know... Some of the characters were so consumed by their fetishes that it left me wondering if movies like this only feed into the misconseptions about fetishism. That was clearly not the intention of the movie, but parts of it left me feeling a little uncomfortable. That is not to say that there aren't people in the real world that are completely consumed by their fetishes. Maybe the movie just goes to show that sad people and sad relationships are sad, fetishes or not?

I haven't seen this particular movie, but I can relate. I remember when I first saw "The Secretary" and being a bit upset that they depicted the woman as a self cutter / self harmer...

Sounds heavy. Must now google gollywog cookies.

Me too.

I haven't seen this particular movie, but I can relate. I remember when I first saw "The Secretary" and being a bit upset that they depicted the woman as a self cutter / self harmer...

I watched the movie Dracula Untold. I'm not usually much of an action fan, but I really liked this one. It portrays Dracula as a man with a past and a purpose that makes perfect sense of his "Vlad the Impaler" moniker. There is some supernatural thrown in too, but I like the mix of real man and monster. It was a 90 minute film, but it seemed to fly by ... That never happens for me in an action movie, because I always feel somewhat starved for a story. Not in this one! Loved it :)

Back