Motorcycle Thread

Vetteman you should try a bike sometime, they're a lot of fun.

Comshaw, I know what you mean about the HD line...I rode a late shovehead Ultra last summer for a week and it was a lovely old beast, great sound, but a pig in the corners and although it was a fesh restoration, things kept falling off it from the vibrations. Charming, but agricultural.

Those older Voyagers have great motors....any trouble with 2nd gear?

Unfortunately yes. I just turned over 84,000 miles on it and 2nd is starting to skip. I'm going to tear it down this spring and fix it. I can't give it up. The damn thing is one of the best riding bikes I've ever had.
Yea, it's got guts. The motor is the same one used in the first generation V-max. When they used it for the Vmax, they put different cams into it, ported the heads from 32 to 34 mm and added the v-boost system. The 83-85 XVZ12 had 105 HP, so the jump to 145 HP for the '85 Max didn't take much.

Comshaw

Many years ago I tooled around on a Norton 750. Not for long though.

You should give it another go!

Yeah they're known for that 2nd gear grunch...but Yams are sweet motors.

I'm waiting for the retro CB1100 to come to North America. If you've watched the factory videos you'd probably want one too.

4872251510_e8d49d1949.jpg

Last edited:
The one I have the most fun with is my Honda 250 VTR. The lred line on that little v-twin is 14,500 rpm. I've had it over the ton a couple of times.

If I can find one for a reasonable price I want an H-2 Mach IV Kawasaki. There's just something about the sound of a big bore two stroke that makes me grin.

Comshaw

If I can find one for a reasonable price I want an H-2 Mach IV Kawasaki. There's just something about the sound of a big bore two stroke that makes me grin.

Comshaw

A neighbor's buddy had one of those. You knew when he pulled into the driveway.

The one I have the most fun with is my Honda 250 VTR. The lred line on that little v-twin is 14,500 rpm. I've had it over the ton a couple of times.

Comshaw

A buddy of mine bought a pristeen Suzi GT380 recently....the H1&2 are rare here but I used to marvel at the 2 stroke triples in high school and their huge plumes of blue smoke and that s o u n d.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Here's the CB1100 Official Video.

I don't think it's possible to watch the video and not want to buy one.

Thanks for posting that vid... Do you know if the 70s and 80s CB bikes had smaller front wheels instead of the staggered size we see on the new one? The vid really got my attention. My brother had a CB750A that was a blast to ride. The relaxing cruises created an addiction for me, even though I dont have one yet, Im building the bridged toward owning a nice one.

My bros bike was very much like this...
1977-Honda-CB750A-Maroon-4.jpg

Im dying for something lke this ... big, powerful and raw.
2295761972_785730bae1.jpg

Last edited:
steve-mcqueen-vincent-black-shadow.jpg

Fastest production bike 1949-1973 This one was Steve McQueen's.

The inspiration for the Black Shadow was Royal Air Force pilots flying over the factory, and soldiers serving in the war. The designers created a motorcycle that could be operated and maintained by men who had been injured in combat. The clutch could be operated with just two fingers, and maintenance was made far easier than anything previously available

I've been riding motorcycles since shortly after I learned to ride a bicycle. Dirt bikes were my passion until I was able to get a license and bought my first street bike, a 1982 Suzuki G450L.

Currently I'm cruising around on a 2008 Honda VTX1800. One sweet ride and a hell of a huge V-Twin.

attachment.php

This thread is making me heartsick!:( I learned to ride at 13 because some boys (not unlike you mob!;)) told me girls couldn't (fuckers didn't believe me, turned up at my place next weekend and were shocked straight). I paddock bashed my entire teens then go a motor scooter which I loved. Had boyfriends with bikes. Shit I miss it. Too fucked up healthwise to risk it now....

Perg, Thompson/Vincent great combo.

Popcorn, the 70's and early 80's CB's were often 19 or 18 front, 17 or 16 rear depending on model and year...but it's really a question of handling geometry, not wheel size.

Your brother's CB750A was a "standard" or "sit up" style bike and the Suzuki M109 you pictured (see below) puts your feet further forward, like a HD with forward controls, what I call the "barca lounger" /EasyRider look...which is hard on the back and handing generally. The M109 is interesting because it blends sport bike and cruiser styling cues.

Ulaven, those 1800's are monsters...I've only been on the 1300 and wonder why they didn't put the 1800 in the Fury. Some say the 1800 motor is too heavy for handling and recommend the 1300 VT's because they say the 1800 is "too fast", but I can't imagine it's that much heavier, maybe 30-40 lbs? (haven't checked).

HD owners usually don't want to talk about the Honda 1800...who could blame them?

zuki1.gif

NOW is ideal riding time here in FL. Too hot and humid in the summer.

Here's my heavily modified '86 Harley FXR:

attachment.php

Attachments

• fxr.jpg
    fxr.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 75
Nice job on the front end; people used to bitch about the evo motor, but I think it sounds better than the TC and seems to require less maintenance.

Back