Monetary Compensation for posting to Literotica

ljmccormack

Author
Hello -

So I understand that posting on here is free, and it is great to see so many people enjoy and read the stories. However, is the entire process free? Like, let's say 15 thousand people read your story, and rate it very high. Is it just for pride and recognition? I appreciate anyone's time or insight on this matter.

L.J.

Unless you win a contest (paid in gift cards IIRC) you will not be compensated for your submissions, no matter their success.

Likes, favs, votes, comments are the currencies here.

Yes. Most people on these forums as I've gathered are publishing on here for fun. Some of them publish elsewhere for money.

That being said, I'd love if there was a tip jar option or something here on Literotica, at least.

Some authors (myself included) have set up Patreon campaigns for those readers wishing to tip them and Lit is experimenting with direct links to Patreon. Which reminds me, I need to check if mine finally works. :) Be right back.

Lit is free and if they ever decided to try and come up with some type of pay scale based on how many votes or views a story received? It would not go well, that's for sure.

The contests pay out, both themed and monthly, but they have recently helped authors earn some money by allowing us to link patreon or amazon/Smashwords selling platforms

I wish there was a tip jar service that was friendly for erotic content. So fans who were willing could monetarily support authors. In terms of the site, just be happy that it's free to post. It could easily be a service like everything else on the hellscape of the internet these days.

Unless you win a contest (paid in gift cards IIRC) you will not be compensated for your submissions, no matter their success.

Likes, favs, votes, comments are the currencies here.

Perhaps overseas, but not in the US. Laurel cuts a check.

Hello -

So I understand that posting on here is free, and it is great to see so many people enjoy and read the stories. However, is the entire process free? Like, let's say 15 thousand people read your story, and rate it very high. Is it just for pride and recognition? I appreciate anyone's time or insight on this matter.

L.J.

In the case you describe, there are the "Monthly Contests":
https://literotica.com/contests/ and also see https://www.literotica.com/stories/memberpage.php?uid=81387&page=submissions.

Any story submitted during a month is eligible and the contest is based on the ratings. So, if you get enough votes (see the minimums in the linked article) and the highest score, cash award (well, if you live outside the US, it's an Amazon gift card.)

Although, I can't find any Monthly Contest winners listed for 2023.

There are also the Lit Special Contests, e.g., Valentine's Day, Nude Day and the current one, Halloween. Again, winners are based on voting scores.
https://forum.literotica.com/threads/the-lit-2023-special-contest-schedule.1578846/

As others on this thread have commented, you can try to use Lit as a way to get noticed and build followers to your Patreon or published books via other channels. Just remember, you can't use Lit postings purely as 'bait,' e.g., put parts 1-4 on Lit then "you can only see part 5 if you come to mysite and pay..."

I wish there was a tip jar service that was friendly for erotic content. So fans who were willing could monetarily support authors. In terms of the site, just be happy that it's free to post. It could easily be a service like everything else on the hellscape of the internet these days.
There is, just not in this site. Another story site has a “coins” system that you can get paid out in; so far, I’ve earned more reposting my stories there than I have on Smashwords.

No payment as far as I know. I think that's a good thing so we see actual works of passion rather than formulaic, profit-oriented works. If people want to get something back, always the option to publish through other places. I can't publish mine because apparently I break the two big rules of every distributor. Even went to an publisher who was quite open-minded, but they let me know that part.

No payment as far as I know. I think that's a good thing so we see actual works of passion rather than formulaic, profit-oriented works. If people want to get something back, always the option to publish through other places. I can't publish mine because apparently I break the two big rules of every distributor. Even went to an publisher who was quite open-minded, but they let me know that part.
Well, I think that we still see formulaic, profit-oriented works here, but the profit isn't cash, it's ratings. I don't have empirical evidence of an example at the risk of breaking the "be nice to each other" rule, but people do their pandering. Also, erotica/romance is the most lucrative genre of literature out there in the professional publishing world. I'm not pointing fingers, but there's bound to be some spillover in formulaic styles and conventions when you consider that a few of the authors here started as professional and published.

Also, I find it just a teeny bit ridiculous that I have a chapter with 40+ thousand reads and I didn't make a cent on it, just because it's published here and not somewhere else. I know I have total "liberty" to pursue other options or whatever, and I "chose" this, but that's how I feel about it. We produce the content, we drive the traffic to the site, and we don't see a penny of the profits! I didn't choose that arrangement, and neither did you.

What are those two rules you're breaking?

Don't Portray incest as a good thing or show violence against women as a good thing. DE and JD make incest look good, WIT has some very unpleasant women getting their asses kicked.
Damn. I didn't even know these kinds of content prohibitions existed for publishers.

You could follow the support the author link to where they sell stories.

An author who seems to have figured out to monetize their writing at Literotica is writerannabelle. She totally dominates the NonHuman category with 19 of the 20 stories in the HoF. She has a patreon page - "Support me on Patreon for advance chapters and artwork!" She has her own website through which she sells her books. She's also on Twitter and has a discord server. I know nothing about her beyond that, so I have no idea how much money she makes, but, just looking at her social media empire, I have to guess she is making some money.

Last edited:
Hello -

L.J.
practice and experimentation, that's why i submit scenes here.

remuneration comes from elsewhere.

An author who seems to have figured out to monetize their writing at Literotica is writerannabelle. She totally dominates the NonHuman category with 19 of the stories in the HoF. She has a patreon page - "Support me on Patreon for advance chapters and artwork!" She has her own website through which she sells her books. She's also on Twitter and has a discord server. I know nothing about her beyond that, so I have no idea how much money she makes, but, just looking at her social media empire, I have to guess she is making some money.
Damn that chick is really doing it. I found her when I joined wattpad a few years ago. Then a friend of hers retweeted my Summer Lovin' story and I talked to her for a bit and found out she moved it all here.

An author who seems to have figured out to monetize their writing at Literotica is writerannabelle. She totally dominates the NonHuman category with 19 of the 20 stories in the HoF. She has a patreon page - "Support me on Patreon for advance chapters and artwork!" She has her own website through which she sells her books. She's also on Twitter and has a discord server. I know nothing about her beyond that, so I have no idea how much money she makes, but, just looking at her social media empire, I have to guess she is making some money.

From my own research, what gets the most Patreon subscribers are 1) niche erotic content and 2) early access (or exlusives) to long chaptered stories.

writerannabelle hits both of those marks, hence the massive paid subscribers

Back