Looking for "educational" stories

Yarglenurp

Not bothered
I'm looking for stories that teach you something. Doesn't have to be useful, but it does have to be true. Like, maybe it accurately describes Singapore in the 1980s, reveals how feeding cows works, etc.

Obviously, the characters and story can be totally fictitious, but the goal is to find stories that have some interesting trivia tidbits in them.

I learned a lot about The Burning Man from "Playa Dust in the Bedouin". Be warned though, it's an incest-themed story.

I, for one, am a fan of "nerdy" stories myself. Where the characters can banter endlessly about fandoms, pop culture, history, random facts, and other stuff that may seem irrelevant to the story, but establishes their characters in a way that endears them to the reader.

In all seriousness, what I am looking for is a very specific kind of effort. Like, it's easy to make up stuff, but to weave in truth is to givebthe make-believe a kind of power.

In all seriousness, what I am looking for is a very specific kind of effort. Like, it's easy to make up stuff, but to weave in truth is to givebthe make-believe a kind of power.
Are you a Clive Cussler fan, by any chance?

As far as I can tell, that's a big part of his draw. Fantasy, but with enough technical and historical/archeological errata that you think you're actually learning something. He does adventure, but I suppose the formula could work with erotica as well.

Outright didactism? Probably less workable.

Are you a Clive Cussler fan, by any chance?

As far as I can tell, that's a big part of his draw. Fantasy, but with enough technical and historical/archeological errata that you think you're actually learning something. He does adventure, but I suppose the formula could work with erotica as well.

Outright didactism? Probably less workable.

Thanks, I'll look into it!

Back