Litsters as Cats

A very good point. I felt like that at university sometimes. But, as CS Lewis said percipiently of such matters, whilst it is a shame to spend a holiday with one's face buried in the guide book, judicious reading of the guide book before setting off can ensure you don't miss the best bits.

That is true. Planning a trip greatly extends the pleasure.

I can still get some benefit from the online version, of the LRB and other periodicals. I read so many dazzling reviews of the biography of Penelope Fitzgerald a few months back that I was inspired to read a few novels by Penelope Fitzgerald.

When people from other forums come into the GB.

tumblr_nlfvx4gscD1r1jvoao1_540.jpg

That is true. Planning a trip greatly extends the pleasure.

I can still get some benefit from the online version, of the LRB and other periodicals. I read so many dazzling reviews of the biography of Penelope Fitzgerald a few months back that I was inspired to read a few novels by Penelope Fitzgerald.

Many of the long political pieces are superb, too. John Lanchester on the financial crisis, and a wonderful essay on Julian Assange not too long ago. Oh, and the best essay on the changes for the worse in the British higher education system I have ever read.

Back