Latest language perversions à la "could care less" or figurative-literal

You want to discuss a language change? Okay, how about 'Press 2 for English.'

I know a little German, "Leck meine Muschi." comes in very handy with German Lesbians visiting Oklahoma.

"Cool" has been around a lot longer than that! Its current slang meaning is at least a century old, but it was morphing into that form well back in the mid-19th century.

Abraham Lincoln, in his Cooper Union speech of 1860, said (emphasis mine):

But you will not abide the election of a Republican president! In that supposed event, You say, you will destroy the Union; and then, you say, the great crime of having destroyed it will be upon us! That is cool. A highwayman holds a pistol to my ear, and mutters through his teeth, "Stand and deliver, or I shall kill you, and then you will be a murderer!"​
Interesting. Dude is another one that's been around a long time that we think of as being more recent. People were using it in the old days to refer to a city slicker I believe.

Interesting. I've never seen that extension before, and I doubt many Americans would have, either
I've never heard that in my 49 years on this planet in the midwest. Maybe it's one of those regional sayings? It doesn't make a lot of sense to me. It would be difficult to care less?

I've never heard that in my 49 years on this planet in the midwest. Maybe it's one of those regional sayings? It doesn't make a lot of sense to me. It would be difficult to care less?
It does make sense in a way, but as noted up above by @Kumquatqueen, I suspect it's an attempt to explain an American foolishness, post facto. But then, KQQ ain't American, either, so it might be a trans-Atlantic generosity ;).

The last place I looked. (Because who the fuck keeps looking for something they've found?)

It does make sense in a way, but as noted up above by @Kumquatqueen, I suspect it's an attempt to explain an American foolishness, post facto. But then, KQQ ain't American, either, so it might be a trans-Atlantic generosity ;).
I am American, actually. Just never lived there for more than a few months at a time.

Means I'm allowed to take the piss out of the septics... 😋

Back